Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Wellington - best route?

Bike
    2004 krr zx150

Auckland to Wellington - best route?

That's best route for ease of travel and time BTW

Heading back home to Christchurch next week and need to try and sort out the fastest/easiest route to be taking. Every map I look at seems to give me a different story (AA's say go via Taupo, most others say it's longer).

I'll be travelling straight through, most likely on Sat to catch a (very) late ferry at about 2 in the morning, so assuming no problems (little paranoid, as I got a flat my last biggish trip and was stuck for quite a while) I should have no time issues, but:

- I need to have a gas station every 160kms or so (180 max), can get over 200kms commuting, but maintained high speeds eat the gas on my bike.
    - I'd like to keep close to places where I can get tires fixed ect when possible. (I'll replace my patched tube before I leave, but still paranoid )?

So, suggestions guys?

Another thing, what breakdown services are avaible/recommended/not hugely expensive?

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    By the way, yes I did drive up here, but since it was late at night I was just following my GPS, no idea which way I came (missed all the cities thou), was all a bit isolated looking though.

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Given your requirements, you might be best just to trundle on down SH1...even there I would check on the availability of gas at the required intervals...no problem during the day but at night could be interesting...

Now if you wanted an "interesting" route, things might well be different...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    The "best" route would be via the Nurburgring.

But seriously, drone down SH1, which will deliver you almost directly to the ferry terminal. Budget 9 hours with a few stops.

Breakdown service? Dunno, look in the yellow pages. They have a web thingy.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
    I am heading that way myself, most likely Friday if you want to join me.

Most likely will turn off at Ngaruawahia and take the National park instead of Desert rd. Te Kuiti, Taumarunui etc. State Highway 4 I think.

Can be less cars that way in the busy times and a lot less boring, although there are some long straights, than SH1.

Also I am an AA member so that is my breakdown protection.

I will be stopping in Bulls or Palmy (about 5 hours by car i think) overnight.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    sh1 with the exception of going western side lake taupo(tokoroa,putaruru,whakamaru,tokaanu,then out to turangi).You have option here to go to national park via sh47 near tokaanu
    one other thing,try to miss hamiltron.Most all of the towns on teh way will have gas,but only the bigger towns and or main highway ones at night

Bike
    600 Unicorn
    I recommend the route via Arapuni and Mangakino. It looks longer on the map but the road is excellent (and fast).

Bike
    2006 YAMAHA XJR1300
    I have done this trip often and almost always turn left at the bottom of Bombay hill and head to MataMata, there are gas stops and good roads,you can get to Tirau from Matamata and be on SH1 for a while, your options are endless from there.....have done this trip both ways to often to remember..

Bike
    . .
    I'd also like to know who the best root is between Auckland and Wellington. Road trip coming up me thinks

Bike
    2015 Z800
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    I'd also like to know who the best root is between Auckland and Wellington. Road trip coming up me thinks
    When you do, post your root route for us!

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'll check them out on the map soon. I'll be leaving in the morning sometime (hopefully by 10), mainly to be sure any gas stations are open, but also to try and get there before it's too dark.

I think I probably came the national parks way on the way up, and while it seemed like it'd be a nice road to ride on (apart from all the corner repairs I saw underway) I didn't see any gas stations for miles on it, so probably not the ideal route for me.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Quote Originally Posted by Hahn View Post
    I am heading that way myself, most likely Friday if you want to join me.
    That would have been great, but I have to leave on Sat really, as I don't really want to overnight anywhere, and must be in Picton on Sunday. Thanks for the offer though.

Bike
    2004 krr zx150
    Ok, checking it out it seems like state 1 is the way to go. Just can't quite confirm gas stations going via National Park/Wanganui way, though this still seems to be shorter (and potentially more interesting). I've never been to Taupo though I guess...

Should I be going down the west side of lake Taupo as suggested? Any particular reason?

Looks like I'll be fine for stations for most the trip, between Taupo-Bulls is a little dicey, but according to the AA there's a gas station in Turangi, about 70kms from Taupo which should get me to Bulls if I keep the speed down (though maybe on reserve).

Anything else worth noting for the trip? Places to keep the speed right down, likely bad roads, likely cameras?

Thanks for all the assist guys.

Bike
    . .
    What is the range on your 150?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sefer View Post
    Ok, checking it out it seems like state 1 is the way to go. Just can't quite confirm gas stations going via National Park/Wanganui way, though this still seems to be shorter (and potentially more interesting). I've never been to Taupo though I guess...

Should I be going down the west side of lake Taupo as suggested? Any particular reason?

Looks like I'll be fine for stations for most the trip, between Taupo-Bulls is a little dicey, but according to the AA there's a gas station in Turangi, about 70kms from Taupo which should get me to Bulls if I keep the speed down (though maybe on reserve).

Anything else worth noting for the trip? Places to keep the speed right down, likely bad roads, likely cameras?

Thanks for all the assist guys.
    Err, there's petrol stations in Taihape and Hunterville too.

There's no dramas with petrol on SH1.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information