Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the full licence test like?

Bike
    no bike yet

What's the full licence test like?

I’ve been cruising around on my RGV250 for a while now and I’m coming up to the time when I can sit my full. What’s done in the full test? I’ve seen some old papers that say what you need to do but was wondering what is done now? Think they may have changed what is done since they announced changes to the licence laws.

Bike
    Your mom
    I did my full license test less than a month ago and it was ridiculously easy considering the heavy rain I had to endure for the duration of the 30ish minute test. I had to do 3 U turns on a wide road, then ride around a bit in a 50kmh zone, change lanes a few times, ride around in a 60kmh zone, followed by a 70kmh zone and finally an 80kmh zone. I also had to report any hazards I saw on 2 occasions. I expected to have to do some hill starts or something more difficult, but it was easy enough that any learner with at least 3000km of riding experience should be able to pass. It was basically the same as the restricted test, except with the hazard identification stage which is very easy provided your short term memory isn't terrible.

In fact I will go as far as to say it was easier than the restricted test because on the restricted test I had to do a U turn on a narrow road which is not easy on a sports bike due to the poor turning circle. I guess it depends on the instructor and which testing station you go to.

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    any learner with at least 3000km of riding experience should be able to pass.
    Christ! I'm at 17,000km now and will have done at least 34,000km by the time I'm even allowed to do my full license. Damn paper pushers with their easy test, it'll make me feel as though I haven't earned the right to upsize my bike.

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Christ! I'm at 17,000km now and will have done at least 34,000km by the time I'm even allowed to do my full license. Damn paper pushers with their easy test, it'll make me feel as though I haven't earned the right to upsize my bike.
    I suspect that the testing officer (who told me he rides a Harley) may have cut me a fair bit of slack due to the terrible weather conditions I had to ride in.

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Full 6F

Heya
    Did my full test last Weds during lunch-bit apprehensive but made sure i had my $hit together and that both gear (ATGATT) and bike was tight. I'm an old gurl, so got to short circuit via doing DD course. Pointers-relax, my assessment is that my restricted was much more nerve wracking, get out there and practice and if poss stake out the route and or ride areas noting speedlimits-light change rhythms and problem spots, practice talking aloud the hazards you encounter whilst driving, ask for an assessor who has experience in riding a MC...during the test, stick to the road rules, keep to the speed limit, drive defensively and maintain your safety bubble, RRRS, if the assessor calls you on something you did then don't be afraid to rationalise your whys (argue your point diplomatically of course), remember the 4 count at stop signs, re hazards...remember that passengers in cars are distractions and thus hazards, take note of what peops are doing in their cars (nodding tapping indicates distraction by way of music), the traffic lights and signage are hazards as other vehicles in motion are often pre-occupied with them and not what's around them, weather conditions include wind vortex (esp produced by vehicular swirl). If you want brownie points wear a hi viz. Ride confidently and apply consistency, smooth gear changes and take offs, maximise road position at all times (don't let the upper half cross the white lines) and esp round all corners smoothly. Be there half an hour early. Just some of the pearls of wisdom imparted to me in the lead up to taking my full 6F test which i actually applied, HOWEVER i still have a long way to go to build up my experience cache. Afterward, go have a coffee somewhere and let the adrenalin disperse. Oh, btw, rather obvious but schedule your test at non busy times for your area (think about time and day)...

Good luck there aspirant-i did my test with Manukau AA where weds 11am-2 pm are good. Am awaiting the hallowed new drivers licence...!!!!

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Maakz View Post
    I'm an old gurl, so got to short circuit via doing DD course.
    FFS! Damn bureaucrats with their stupid laws.

Congrats though!

Bike
    Your mom
    Also make sure that your bike is up to WOF standard, otherwise you'll fail the test straight away. They don't go after the bike with a fine toothed comb, but just make sure that all your lights and indicators as well as the horn work, and be sure that the tyres are both legal.

Bike
    1991 Yamaha FJ1200
    Also make sure that your bike is up to WOF standard, otherwise you'll fail the test straight away. They don't go after the bike with a fine toothed comb, but just make sure that all your lights and indicators as well as the horn work, and be sure that the tyres are both legal.
    VERY important. A few years back now but I loaned a 250 from a local bike store and the mirrors were loose as all hell and wouldn't tighten up. Had to buy some tape to wedge around the stem but passed the test ok. Then a work mate borrowed the same bike a few months later from the same place (not naming any names but it rhymes with Hayside), the mirrors were fixed then but the brake light switch on the front lever didn't work. Unfortunately he never checked lights first and didn't get past the pre-ride check. The tester wouldn't let him try and get it fixed on the spot. Had to re-schedule and pay again. Lesson learnt. Check and double check your bike first.

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries

SMOKEU & Matt_TG are on the money, assessor guy on my test was particularly keen on lights and fixture stuff. I'd suggest the week before your test (if you can afford it) get your bike servived; the morning leading up to my test i was para so kept checking and re-checking...couldn't afford another fee if they bounced me due to failed pre check, so made sure. Assessor guy asked if i had 'kit' tools/pucture/1st aid...did, being i'm a gurly swot. Oh, and if you are nervous, for gawds sakes, don't say so to the assessor before you take your test and don't let it show in your driving.

Bike
    Your mom
    It pays to keep both wheels on the ground at all times as well.

Bike
    Ring ding ding ding....
    Yeah, my full test was easy too - I think the hardest part was a RH turn from a stop sign onto a busy 80kmh road. I don't think the assessor was expecting it to be so busy, we had to wait a good five minutes or so for two cars ahead of us to get through. The key is just to relax and ride normally (thats if your normally a safe rider I guess!)

Bike
    1993 Honda Jade CB250
    My full license last year was just like the car license ( I still remember mine 10 years ago )

The first time I attempted, my clutch cable snapped with was an instant fail, so make sure your bike is humming along nice!

I would agree with previous posters, just relax, ride smooth and be consistent. Show confidence but not over confidence.
    my tester was following me in an old commodore and lost communication half way ( headsets ), i didnt realise and just kept going as he told me, but luckily he had explained the whole route right back to the testing station.

My full test involved
    Hill start, U turn, motorway riding and hazard identifcation.

Also DONT speed up till you pass a sign and slow down nicely before a sign. and watch your following distance!
    "There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing."

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by explode64 View Post
    I’ve been cruising around on my RGV250

What’s done in the full test?
    It is gruelling and terrifying. You cannot pass. Abandon hope now.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    I had to do a U turn on a narrow road which is not easy on a sports bike due to the poor turning circle. I guess it depends on the instructor and which testing station you go to.

lol wut????
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    you dont get 180+ hp out of 998cc by being nice to trees.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    I’ve been cruising around on my RGV250 for a while now and I’m coming up to the time when I can sit my full. What’s done in the full test? I’ve seen some old papers that say what you need to do but was wondering what is done now? Think they may have changed what is done since they announced changes to the licence laws.
    1. Don't speed but don't crawl along either (ie. between 45 and 50kph in a 50 zone)
    2. Be comfortable at slow speed manoeuvring. Especially u-turns in a narrow road without putting your foot / feet down. Secret is to keep your eyes up and look through the turn (not at the curb on the opposite side of the road). If you feel the bike "fall in" either a) lean out (to rebalance) or better still, b) ease the clutch further out to accelerate and lift the bike back up.

Also practice your hill starts

3. Hazard identification. You'll be asked to reel off a few dozen hazards after an observation drill. Just be attentive and mention anything that could mow you down or get in your way, including the environment (dodgy road surface etc...)

4. Don't forget to indicate with enough warning (3 seconds)

5. When stopping at a stop sign, put both feet down.

6. Be obvious with head checks. when riding along, emphasize (twist your head so the examiner can see) that you are checking out intersections for vehicles that could cut across your path (left and right).

If all the above fails, then jrandom is right :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Thread Information