Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Suzuki GSX 250

Bike
    2004 Suzuki GSX250 Invader

2004 Suzuki GSX 250

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on this bike.

My story so far ... rode a few bikes as a teen, got a car, got married, had kids, got a scooter which I had been riding the last few years. I decided earlier this year my mid-life crisis would be a motorcycle (safer and much more fun than screwing around!).

Trawled the shops for second-hand (expensive!), finally found a bike I liked on TradeMe (the GSX250) and followed that model for a few months while I arranged finance. Finally made contact with a seller and arranged a meet to test the bike.

After a quick 10-minute ride around the block I was hooked! So, my first real ride in around 20 years was the trip from Whangarei back to Auckland - what a ride!

I've read a lot of haters' comments on this bike - it's big, heavy, slow, gutless, etc - but I'm really enjoying this bike. I'm 5'10", 85kg, so it feels just right for me - not cramped or stretched out. For me, heavy means stable and sure-footed on the road - it handles really well. And I'm not a racer, I'm a commuter who goes for weekend rides - so it goes just the right speed for me without feeling like it's revving its' guts out.

My only issue with this bike is the gearing - it's very close and quite low. I'm barely going before I need to change to second.

Look forward to any other positive comments on this bike from owners, otherwise keep safe.

RoyJ

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Good on you man.

I bought one new for the other half to learn to ride on.... Great little machine.

I can tell you, once the experience level gets up, you can keep up with anything on the open road.... At the end of the day, top speed of 150 is licence loosing speed.... The low gearing disguises that it is heavy, BUT as you say, it;s weight works in its favour at times.... Shame there is little power to handle cross winds properly.... But that is another skill that you will get to master.

The suspension is simple...boardering on... you need to have a load on the rear at all times (at least when it was new). But in truth, it is no race bike anyway.

Keep the rubber side down and the oil changed frequently, and it will give you years of service... unlike that fling on the side

Bike
    cbr,streetstocker
    actauly loss of licence speed is 140km/h now!!!......

the gsx250's are cool, they arnt too grunty but they have enough power to get you around and blow off the odd harley....

Bike
    kawasaki Ninja 650R
    they are a good bike i was looking at them before i got my hyosung.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000RR
    A good choice of bike. I bought a new one for fuck all. A good package for getting back into riding. Trail the rear brake to stop it going wide through corners though..

Bike
    2007,Suzuki,SV1000
    I had a GSX 250 for around 18months while learning to ride and found it a great starting point.
    Has centre stand
    Has Gear indicator
    Even a kick start
    Riding position is good
    Dam i miss that little toy but not enough to give up my SV1000s

Bike
    2007 GSX1000R
    I'll give it the thumbs up!

My son had a fxr150 when he was 15. He was 6 ft tall, and made the bike look a dwarf.

So I bought him the GSXr250. It was much better suited to him and he felt very secure on it. He loved it and we never had any problems with it at all. This is one bike I would certainly recommend.

They are not supposed to be race bikes, so I wouldn't expect huge speed and take off power from it. It is only a 250cc. Anyway, my son certainly had 160 out of it, and he couldn't wait to get his full, and jump on my SV650.

Good on ya

Bike
    2002 CBR954 FIREBLADE
    Blog Entries
    I had one of those before a car forced me off the road - I thought it was a great bike. I would reccommend tho that you tape over the gear indicator in preparation for your next bike. Great bike to learn or re-learn on but as soon as you ride something a little more powerful you might find the bike spoiled for you.

Bike
    88 GSXR250R
    Hi Roy,

I have a 2004 Suzuki GSX 250 also and love it. It's very forgiving, particularly around corners and yes it is heavier and slower.

I agree about the gearing and to be honest I haven't used the 1st gear since the first week I had the bike. Have a go at taking off in 2nd and see if that makes life any easier. I find no need for 1st gear.

It's certainly a great learner bike for taller (and heavier) people like me (6" and 85kg).

Essentially the bike is a build of an earlier GS500E with fairings and a 250 engine - most likely an easy idea to meet the graduated licencing restrictions here in NZ. I believe the greater weight comes from the chassis being both built for a bigger engine and constructed of steel rather than aluminum (you will notice the front left engine mount on the gsx is even packed out to allow fitting the narrower 250 motor!).

The good thing about that is if you do have a spill it'll just be the plastic, indicators and mirrors that will need replacing as the chassis is pretty solid.

FYI there's more on the bike specs on this posting:
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...tanding+flying

Take care,
    Stevio

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by s_devo View Post
    I believe the greater weight comes from the chassis being both built for a bigger engine and constructed of steel rather than aluminum (you will notice the front left engine mount on the gsx is even packed out to allow fitting the narrower 250 motor!).

Stevio
    Well, actually the story goes that they used to be 155kg or so, BUT at that weight they used to get blown around a bit, so they beefed them up.. for the American market I think?
    To be honest, they would have been a bit of a rocket if you lost 30kg off it!

Bike
    88 GSXR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    To be honest, they would have been a bit of a rocket if you lost 30kg off it!
    Yeah I hear that the lighter 90's GSX250RR was one of the fastest 250s around! my friend used to call his 'the bullet'. I haven't seen one around for ages.

I do get blown around a fair bit too as you say. Though I find if I shift my weight forward I get more stability. When it's gusty and coming from all directions is the worst.

Not bad little bikes, as you say.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by s_devo View Post
    Yeah I hear that the lighter 90's GSX250RR was one of the fastest 250s around! .
    Nope, it was actually the 2002 version. It only got here in 2003 after the weight gain.

Not sure where I read about it now, but it was in a mag somewhere.

The GSXR250 of the 90's was a bit of a rocketship, agreed.
    $5999 from memory, and Black with Gold wheels. Wanted one, but the job I had didn't quite pay enough at the time.....
    Plenty of 1989/90 imports around now.

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600 K5
    Ah i love my gsx250, lost my license in january getting it back in april and can't wait to ride my gsx again. even though they are fairly heavy etc, etc you can still pull the front wheel up pretty good.
    pic related:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teygfhjd.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	489.6 KB 
ID:	201644  

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    lost my license in january getting it back in april
    Demerits or all in one?

Good luck getting insurance though! (Not being mean, I'm actually saying good luck)
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    you dont get 180+ hp out of 998cc by being nice to trees.

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR 600 K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiflyer View Post
    Demerits or all in one?

Good luck getting insurance though! (Not being mean, I'm actually saying good luck)
    Demerits and cheers i guess

Thread Information