View Poll Results: Would you use an Epirb if it was cheap enough to hire?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I likely would never use one in NZ.

12 13.48%
  • Yes, I would strongly consider it for a significant backroads ride.

56 62.92%
  • I would rather use Find Me Spot

12 13.48%
  • Nah, accidents don't happen to me so I'll wing it with a phone and maybe a GPS.

9 10.11%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Epirb or Spot?

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    I need to get an eprb for my comercial boat but would like to be able to take it with me on the bike (I ride the bike more than I use the boat)
    Just wondering weather the marine version is ok for on land as well as I definately have to get the MSA aproved type for the boat .
    Cant afford to buy two of the damn things.

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Just recieved from ACR Electronics a fee applies and further options available on there latest models not sure if this is available on other PLBs
    Unleash the power of your existing beacon
    406Link.com is a unique Web-based solution that allows you to add personal satellite messaging to your 406 MHz EPIRB or Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) - increasing the functionality of your emergency signaling device.
    Unlike cell phones and two-way radios, 406Link utilizes two geosynchronous GEOSAR satellites to provide dependable coverage throughout the world. Currently, the 406Link.com coverage area includes:
    · North America · South America · Western Africa (partial) · New Zealand
    Pack Some Extra Peace of Mind
    With 406Link.com, YOU Know Your Beacon Works
    (and THEY Know You're Okay)

Because "Extreme" Doesn't Mean Stupid

Adventure, whether it's on the water or in the backcountry, means grabbing your gear and going for it ... it's not about being careless or taking chances.
    That's why more and more paddlers, boaters and backpackers are packing along a 406Mhz satellite signaling device.
    Now, with the power of 406Link.com, you can make sure your PLB, ELT, or EPIRB is functioning properly - before you ever leave - through the same satellite system used by Search and Rescue. And with added messaging functionality, your beacon becomes an "I'm Ok" signaling device, letting friends and family back home know you're safe.

Two service plans to choose from starting at just $39.95 US per year:

http://www.406link.com/demo.html

regards GSers

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Sweet looking - might have to look into that in more detail...
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by buggsubique View Post
    Sweet looking - might have to look into that in more detail...
    Yeah it does look good I was just thinking about it and will send an email to Maritime NZ to see if this is going to upset things down here in NZ seeing as they monitor them down here.
    I haven't pushed the test button on mine yeat only the battery test.
    Keep you posted.
    regards GSers

Bike
    2004 SV650S
    There is a Epirb for $650.00 on Daysale until 12pm 10.02.10
    102° Rx = + /_\

Bike
    I was quoted $517 +gst by RFD in nelson the other day,
    Cant remember what brand but it was a green one with GPS
    I have to get one of the marine floating ones for my boat survey and that was $610 +
    Which makes the pair of them now costing a similar amount to what one did a couple of years ago ,
    Which proves a theory of mine that procrastination pays of in the long term.

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Question to Maritime Safety NZ
    I am interested in signing up to the “I AM OK” Service that ACR are offering. This is to keep my partner informed that I am indeed OK when out of cell phone range.
    As you monitor the 406 beacons in NZ can you please confirm that this service will not set off any unnecessary rescue mission if used in NZ.

Reply from Maritime Safety & ACR Distributor NZ
    The service is available but still on trial in NZ. The satellite coverage for this service is New Zealand - wide, but to date, I have only managed to get it to send one e-mail and no texts. I think the text part of it will be the most user friendly part and most convenient, but we need to resolve the misalignment between US and NZ cell networks. I am in the process of doing this but it could take a week or two. The test facility which sends the “I’m okay” message cannot initiate a rescue mission as a blocking code in the transmission prevents the COSPAS/SARSAT network from on-forwarding the 406 distress signal. I will let you know as soon as we have the system working correctly

Question to ACR USA.
    I am very interested in this service 406Link.com. But I have just got out my PLB300 manual and what it says about the GPS self testing is: Warning to conserve battery power the following test should not be performed more than once during the five year life of the battery pack.
    I accept that using the PLB this way of course will use battery life and I have no problem with that but do you have an agent here in New Zealand that can replace the batteries at a reasonable price. At this stage the unit is not due for replacement until 2013 and I don’t want to have to replace the whole unit just because I kept using the Self Test Function to send
    “I AM OK” messages.

Reply from ACR USA
    We currently are running tests in New Zealand to make sure the system is working properly, since New Zealand is at the outer edge of our coverage zone, but our tests have been going great, and you shouldn’t have any problems using the service. The only issue we currently have is that New Zealand cellular carriers have a different protocol for text messaging that we need to get resolved with our system. Currently the “I’m Ok” messages via email are working, but not the SMS/Text messages. Hope to have this resolved shortly.
    Your PLB-300 will work just fine with the 406Link.com system. The Warning you reference in your email is for the GPS Acquisition Test which should only be done once during the life of your battery. Your PLB can not transmit GPS coordinates during a self test unfortunately, but you can take advantage of the “I’m Ok” messaging service which works off of a basic PLB Self Test. These basic self tests are recommended to do at least once per month, but your model can actually do up to 420 Self Tests before the battery witness seal will deactivate the self test function so that you do not start using the 24 hours of Emergency Life remaining in your batteries.

Looks like this thing should eventually get off the ground so as soon as I hear that they have the text messaging working properly I will post again.
    regards GSers

Bike
    Bloody good bit of research there GSers , I watch with interest looks like it could end up being the ultimate personal location package .

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

SPOT is a very good option!

I have been using SPOT since it became available in NZ in both boating and motor biking environments.

It is very good, you can send unlimited check in messgaes to as many people as you like, via SMS and e-mails with Google Maps direct links to your current location.

As I ride / boat alone often, this allows me to "check in" with my wife.

The Help button is set up with emergency contact details and the 911 Button with detailks of NZ Emergency Services.

You change all these settings via their Web Page.

Only issue is the ongoing annual fee to keep device active.
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    2007 DR650
    Sound good - nice and simple too!
    Where can I get these in NZ?
    And how much to purchase/set up and then keep active.
    Thanks

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    I reckon I'll save for a PLB and subscribe to the 406 link service once its proven. Suits my needs best me thinks.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    While in the magazine shop yesterday I noticed there's a SPOT vrs EPIRB article in one of the latest Aussie ADV/off road mags.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Apologies to all but just to recap - if you fall off & are unconcious which one will alert the authorities?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Apologies to all but just to recap - if you fall off & are unconcious which one will alert the authorities?
    We are all still waiting for the invention of the 'mind blank' triggered PLB ..........along with the video dream recorder , and a few other things .

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    video dream recorder ,.
    Oh yeah I want one of those!! mmmmm Jennifer......

Thread Information