View Poll Results: Would you use an Epirb if it was cheap enough to hire?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I likely would never use one in NZ.

12 13.48%
  • Yes, I would strongly consider it for a significant backroads ride.

56 62.92%
  • I would rather use Find Me Spot

12 13.48%
  • Nah, accidents don't happen to me so I'll wing it with a phone and maybe a GPS.

9 10.11%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Epirb or Spot?

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Having a play with these at work next week, seeing what is a good option for when you bin the work truck down a bank and need to call for help.

The two we are looking at are the spot, and one of these , a bit expensive, but lots more functionality that the spot, will report back when some experimenting has been done...
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    91 R80GS
    They look to be a great idea. Didn't quite get the coverage thing tho - if you are paired to a smartphone out of normaal phone coverage does it use satellite phone type stuff - if so does it cost more? Do you pay for tracking like spot does?
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Spot Connect does something similar. Uses a smartphone to create the messages sent through the Connect.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Do you pay for tracking like spot does?
    Looks like you pay for each text and each track point...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Well. Today I got 6 track points recorded over 2 1/2 hrs of riding with the Spot 2.
    No better than the 1. Or to put it another way, the 1 gets just as many track points out as the 2.
    This is probably the harshest terrain type to test it in though. Heavy canopy, steep gullys, frequent turns.

Just for the size difference, it's a winner, although the 1 comes with a belt clip which is really useful.
    Why the hell didn't they put a belt clip on the 2? Would have made it almost perfect.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    31 track points today covering from 8:22am to 5:00pm.

Reasonable, considering the terrain.

An OK message I sent did not go through even though that was back in the pits and the spot was on the ground for 15mins.

More testing to be done...

EDIT: The OK message did get through. Pretty damn accurate for where I was too.

Bike
    Dog Rooter

skippersmate.com.au?

Slight dredge, but...

I am thinking of getting a floating PLB to cover both kayaking and adventuring.

The ResQlink with the "I'm OK" message seems about perfect (no annual fee unlike Spot) and an NZ coded one comes in at $373 delivered from skippersmate.com.au. Best price I can find locally is $549.

Has anyone got any experience of Skipper's Mate?

Cheers - Chasio

Edit - it is NOT NZ coded but rather Aus encoded.
    Last edited by chasio; 11th December 2013 at 15:51. Reason: Correction

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by chasio View Post
    Slight dredge, but...

I am thinking of getting a floating PLB to cover both kayaking and adventuring.

The ResQlink with the "I'm OK" message seems about perfect (no annual fee unlike Spot) and an NZ coded one comes in at $373 delivered from skippersmate.com.au. Best price I can find locally is $549.

Has anyone got any experience of Skipper's Mate?

Cheers - Chasio
    There is a small monthly fee for the ResQlink with texting feature. Quoting websellers:

"Optional Subscription Service: Increase the functionality of your ReQLink™ PLB with optional 406Link non-emergency messaging service. Send I'm OK Messages and GPS Location Maps. For complete information, click here. http://www.406link.com/plans.aspx"

I use the ResQlink (without text messaging) for riding/tramping/fishing. Thankfully I haven't had to activate it as yet but I chose this unit based on its reputation, the fact it is the smallest on the market plus the fact it is yellow lends itself well to me being classed as a "Summer skin tone" therefore I look remarkably handsome while holding it

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    There is a small monthly fee for the ResQlink with texting feature. Quoting websellers:

"Optional Subscription Service: Increase the functionality of your ReQLink™ PLB with optional 406Link non-emergency messaging service. Send I'm OK Messages and GPS Location Maps. For complete information, click here. http://www.406link.com/plans.aspx"

I use the ResQlink (without text messaging) for riding/tramping/fishing. Thankfully I haven't had to activate it as yet but I chose this unit based on its reputation, the fact it is the smallest on the market plus the fact it is yellow lends itself well to me being classed as a "Summer skin tone" therefore I look remarkably handsome while holding it
    Ah yes, good "spot" on the fee But is it optional as you infer, unlike the Spot. I like the idea of yellow for when I put it down and can't find it while I'm packing... Nothing will make me more handsome. (Interpret this as you wish.)

The Skippers Mate outfit seem pretty genuine, going by their web signature and the initiatives they are involved in (although one can always always be mistaken). Pretty tempting to give them a whirl at that sort of saving.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    FCO in NZ have been doing some great specials for awhile now on these... http://www.fco.co.nz/online-store/pr...=3103364#Cross

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Just had a Gen3 Spot arrive today.
    Short review to follow when I can remember where I packed the hammock...

Bike
    91 R80GS
    How much & where from?
    Is the only diff the auto motion tracking start thing?

Edit: saw longer battery life & battery options - are they built in & you charge them usually or take in & out & replace?

What do you guys have as your non emergency but need help message?

I keep meaning to get one but keep putting it off.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    GSXR750, KTM350EXCF
    How much & where from?

Edit: saw longer battery life & battery options - are they built in & you charge them usually or take in & out & replace?

This is the one i have. Haven't used it and the battery is still charged. didn't pay that price as they always have a sale.

Non emergency is phone. ride to somewhere i get signal, if i can't ride the bike it will be button pressing time.
    Or get a sat phone.

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400E
    How much & where from?

And the award for most questions in a short post goes to Craig, well done my friend

I don't use messaging at the moment, just a PLB, however I am in the middle of a new screen and dash design and I will be getting a Gen3 Spot and mounting it in the dash as the messaging is a convenience
    Over 800 New Zealand adventure riding routes www.remotemoto.com

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    How much & where from?

Had one a few months now - mine was $ 200 landed inc RAM mount inc freight NZD i think, its small enough to go into the card holder clear pocket on my jacket sleeve so its easily accessible. GPS City

Messages you can have three plus SOS which are easy to change which can go to multiple email & phone text messages that have a link to google maps (think its google) from the email to give them your location, so easy for the wife and son if they gets my "OK but need someone to come get me" or "OK running late see ya laterz" best bit is it warns you if the message has been sent or not and of the dozen so far every one has been received.

Batteries seem to last for ages still on the original 4 AAA energizer ultimate lithium's which came with it and i have used it for probably seven full days or so either biking or fishing. Plus you can run it off a USB power from the bike. When these batteries die i will get some rechargeable AAA's

Thread Information