View Poll Results: Would you use an Epirb if it was cheap enough to hire?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I likely would never use one in NZ.

12 13.48%
  • Yes, I would strongly consider it for a significant backroads ride.

56 62.92%
  • I would rather use Find Me Spot

12 13.48%
  • Nah, accidents don't happen to me so I'll wing it with a phone and maybe a GPS.

9 10.11%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Epirb or Spot?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    How much & where from?
    Is the only diff the auto motion tracking start thing?
    TradeMe $200 brand new.
    Originally got from the states from REI via that NZ Post thingy for $180us + postage.

Edit: saw longer battery life & battery options - are they built in & you charge them usually or take in & out & replace?
    4 AAA batteries vs 3 in the Gen2 and double the battery life. Will also run on NiMH rechargeables and can be powered (not charged) by a micro USB cable.

What do you guys have as your non emergency but need help message?
    On the spot website you can set up profiles. I've got one for motorbike adventuring, mtbing, work and had some set up for Vic for hunting.
    The differences were in the messages for help, emergency, OK and the other OK one and who the messages got emailed/txt'd to.

On the motorbike, the help message is "No emergency, just need a trailer". The ok message is "Just checking in " and the spare message is "On my way back".
    Vic's profile had the 2nd message as "Spending another day".

i keep meaning to get one but keep putting it off.
    The only difference between the Gen2 and 3 for me, is with the 3, tracking is not optional.
    I'm not interested in the motion detecting tracking or the other tracking intervals.

My Gen2 is for sale now.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    text sent re spot.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Visual comparison...

Keeping it all fruity...

Bike
    KTM690ER, KTM950SER
    Blog Entries

SPOT every time

Been using a SPOT for a couple of years and wouldn't be without it. Big and important difference between EPIRB and a SPOT is the tracking function (extra $ per year) - an EPIRB only helps if you are able to press the button! SPOT tracks you every 10 mins and leaves a snail trail - so serious offs and you can still be found. The other functions are great as well - on longer trips just format the OK button and you can send "end of the day and ok" messages to those that might give a shit! Other advantage is that they can be wired into a USB socket and run off the biks power - no lithium batteries. RAM mounts do a cradle for all of the variants. Even though the response centre is in the US there is very little delay in getting the NZ teams out to you - lots of good feedback out there. Cost now less than US$100.
    Cheers
    JC

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I've thought about renting my Spot 2 out seeing as I'm not using it.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by umopom View Post
    Other advantage is that they can be wired into a USB socket and run off the biks power - no lithium batteries.
    Yep, the Gen3 will run off USB power and also can take NiMH batteries, not just lithium's.

(Hopefully printer is still working)

Bike
    Honda 650 Africa twin and a Dommie
    I'm tracking one of these thingys that is on a yacht in the middle of the Tasman........nice being able to track them in real time in the comfort of my own home then check out the weather patterns to see what sort of a day they are having.
    Should really have one I spose, quite expensive annual fee though isnt there?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    About $200nz per year inc tracking.

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

I've ordered the new irdium GO as my solution to this question

With my TAT planning, and other thoughts for remote comm's...I've put an order in to get one of the iridium GO.

For me, I think the GO is the right concept...so we will see how it pans out, but the concept is bang on.

It's highly likely that 90% of the time, there will be cellular coverage so my iphone will be with me, and it has all my contacts, email SMS etc, so the iridium simply provides a wifi hotspot to work with its smartphone app, allowing voice calls, sms etc. Before anyone freaks out with the thought of a data capable wifi service via satellites and the expense, or the low bandwidth...don't, it's just a tool and if used properly then it should be a great solution.

The monthly cost should be about $40 NZD per month, purchase price ...not sure but around$800 USD

They are due at the end of the month, so I'll let you know how it GO's ...ha

V
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker

Thread Dredge

Just bought a RescueMe PLB1, about the smallest PLB you can currently buy. Cheap insurance I reckon.

From reading back on what people were originally quoting as the price of PLBs in this thread, it looks like overall the cost of these things has taken a dive. Seen some GMEs down to $440. The ACR ResQLink 375 was $450 (lowest).

Basically I've bought this one for Mandy's piece of mind. Now I just need to figure out where I'm going to carry it so that: It's secure; It won't get damaged if I take a tumble; I can reach it if I am injured.

Did think about the Spot - but the subscription & the lower no of satellite's (reliability) put me off. I did like the idea of breadcrumbs, which would have meant that if I disappeared then at least some one would have an area to search....
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Same here, bought the PLB1 a couple of weeks ago, choose that one because of its size and battery life as my overriding preference to cost. The PLB does have the homing signal which is a nice thing for when GPS location is reflecting off stuff or under cover making it less accurate, spot doesn't support that feature as far as I can see.
    Since it's all or nothing with the PLB with no 'just checking in' or a no rush, non life threatening assistance required button I might still get some kind of tracking/two way satellite communicator like the spot at a later date, but more likely to do that if they get a pre paid kind of thing going where I'm not still paying for a subscription even while it's not being used.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Thread Information