View Poll Results: Would you use an Epirb if it was cheap enough to hire?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I likely would never use one in NZ.

12 13.48%
  • Yes, I would strongly consider it for a significant backroads ride.

56 62.92%
  • I would rather use Find Me Spot

12 13.48%
  • Nah, accidents don't happen to me so I'll wing it with a phone and maybe a GPS.

9 10.11%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Epirb or Spot?

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

Spot NZ

Quote Originally Posted by gav24 View Post
    Sound good - nice and simple too!
    Where can I get these in NZ?
    And how much to purchase/set up and then keep active.
    Thanks
    There are available from Salcom - www.salcom.co.nz
    I think mine cost NZ$350 plus US$115 each year
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    I need to get an eprb for my comercial boat but would like to be able to take it with me on the bike (I ride the bike more than I use the boat)
    Just wondering weather the marine version is ok for on land as well as I definately have to get the MSA aproved type for the boat .
    Cant afford to buy two of the damn things.
    Marine ones are a little bigger than the land portable versions some of them are bloody massive + if you got a hydrostatic release you really won't want to mess around removing it from the housing when you swap over. When you buy it you have to register it with your call sign MMSI etc, as such if you set it off on land they will probably treat it as a suspected false alert, things will still happen likely you will have a chopper fly overhead anyway but not a great idea.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    91 R80GS
    The Feb issue of TBAM trailbike aust mag, has an excellent article on the merits of Spot vs PLB. Next time you're in the mag shop have a look thru. Also has a good write up of the Marlb safari. The rest of the mag is shite so don't bother buying it.

Oops just repeating what Eddie posted weeks ago.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    A good reason for a spot/pbl.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570970

Someone brings up a good point that they're not much use in a backpack if You've got a busted back - front pocket makes sense

BTW Rollos in Nelson actually hires out PLBs at a pretty reasonable rate I've heard.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Just cracked 2000 posts & damn that banana can still dance as well as it did when I first entered these hallowed halls.

It's official - I have no life

sigh...

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    Just cracked 2000 posts & damn that banana can still dance as well as it did when I first entered these hallowed halls.

It's official - I have no life

sigh...
    I'm almost at 2000 posts myself.
    I went up into Sharlands Creek today and only had to push the last 10m up 2 hills. Took 10mins each time though.

Road tyres are good for sightseeing but not for the "take every left turn unless it looks suicidal" adventuring I was doing

Bike
    91 R80GS
    I went up Kaka Hill yesterday about 3pm but had one of those 'can't be arsed' rides so cut it short - had to go on reserve down the maitai so just as well really.

Bike
    Honda FT500, Yamaha WR250R
    Dredging up quite an old thread here but it's become of more significance in the last couple of days. Had a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting while at home (didn't realise I was allergic). Having just got back from 3 days of off track exploring (on foot!) I can see I've been pretty lucky.

As far as I can see a PLB with GPS is what I'll be needing, seeing as they don't exactly have an interface they all appear to be much of a muchness. Is there any brands that are particularly recommended/ features to look out for?

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    Dredging up quite an old thread here but it's become of more significance in the last couple of days. Had a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting while at home (didn't realise I was allergic). Having just got back from 3 days of off track exploring (on foot!) I can see I've been pretty lucky.

As far as I can see a PLB with GPS is what I'll be needing, seeing as they don't exactly have an interface they all appear to be much of a muchness. Is there any brands that are particularly recommended/ features to look out for?
    If you are to buy an ACR model you are able to sign up to there web site and pay an annual fee then you are able to send I AM OK messages to an email account they still dont have it set up to send SMS (texts) to NZ cellphones yet. Not sure if other brands have this feature with them.
    Google the ACR web site and have a look.I still haven't signed up yet but carry the PLB on all bike trips. Having been away for 6 days last month and leaving the other half at home and there being a spot on one of the bikes which she followed on the net she still got a bit worried when the spot stopped and we where not at our destination for the day. Long days 8am until 7pm. So who knows whats the best answer.
    regards GSers

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    $655 or thereabouts seems to be the best price on trade me, but occasionally one pops up at $350ish and they're quickly snapped up if Buy Now used. Otherwise newish second hand ones drag out to around the $500 mark.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    My workmate/riding buddy has just got a Spot tracker so is currently playing with message settings to suit his needs. It is nice and small, and easily fits into jacket pocket. He said I can use it on my solo ventures out in the back blocks so let the real adventuring begin. Nice to know assistance is only a button push away when you're out of cellphone coverage area.
    His wife encouraged him to buy it after his incident in the Rainbow last week when he flipped his new Tenere and it landed on him, nearly popped him like a grape. Busted ribs, bad internal bruising but the hard little bugger still rode out to Hanmer then got a nice ambo ride to CHCH.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Resurrecting this thread as it's become a topic again following Mr Jatz accident, and cause I am considering getting one as well for other reasons.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I bought a PLB from the States. The place I bought it from had it re-programmed for use in NZ, then when I registered it with our SAR I made note that it was primarily for use in my glider, but I would also carry it when motorcycling in the back country, and my wife may carry it when horse treking. SAR were more than happy to make those additional notes on its potential use.

Oh. Total price for buying and having it re-programmed was US$315.
    Time to ride

Bike
    F800GS
    That is a pretty sharp price Jantar.
    I was looking at one of these>> http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camp...-461954114.htm
    or possibly something like this >> http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/kaya...-460674256.htm

I think I'd prefer the P.L.B. with G.P.S. over a S.P.O.T. as it can be registered with S.A.R. which gives them an idea who they're searching for, also I'm pretty crap at paying subscriptions so SPOT is probly not going to work for me.

T.Y. T.I.A. G.B.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Have a look at http://www.craggyaero.com/elt.htm

The KANNAD XS-4 PLB/With GPS is currently US$269. Add on postage and reprogramming and it will still be similar to what I paid.
    Last edited by Jantar; 29th March 2012 at 18:28.
    Time to ride

Thread Information