Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phone/GPS/Oven Timer/Phone

Bike

Phone/GPS/Oven Timer/Phone

Was looking at a GPS but thought I might as well look at upgrading to a waterproof phone (or a phone in a waterproof case) and have an all in one kind of thing.

Anyone got an recommendations on what phone to get/what they use? I've been looking at SONY XPERIA Z's but not sure about the whole built in battery.
    Are there apps that make reliable GPS's out of phones (compared to the 'only good on the road' google stuff) or are they just not worth messing with for that use? (I know the major pitfall it having to take your glove off to adjust anything on it).

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't require batteries ... and most tank bags have a pre-installed holder for it ...

When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Could try this if you have an android phone http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...vice-for-free/ eddieb runs that site if you want more info. Now for the disclaimer I personally run a separate GPS so have no idea how well it works.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Could try this if you have an android phone http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...vice-for-free/ eddieb runs that site if you want more info. Now for the disclaimer I personally run a separate GPS so have no idea how well it works.
    Would you consider using a phone instead if your GPS broke or do you prefer having it separate?

Will check out that software. Cheers man.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Doesn't require batteries ... and most tank bags have a pre-installed holder for it ...
    Why use a modern fandangled Atlas when I can just use the map Ooglug drew on our cave wall with snail shells?

Welcome to the future. Here we can plan a trip on a GPS in a few mins, send a pre plotted track on private land in a few seconds via email instead of sitting down with your out of date Atlas and compass to do it all manually

Thanks for the thought though.

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    one of my neighbors used the galaxy S4 with life proof case before that he used the iphone, i almost went the same way but my main use was for hunting and so the battery life would have been to short and it would be an expensive fixer if i should break it in the rough stuff.
    i found the GPS60cx the bees knees and my old samsung rugger the best for what im using them for.

although i have thought when one day i do my big south island trip it will be with andriod type of phone so i can power it off the bike as well as set up bluetooth so i can navigate and use the phone whilst riding
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Would you consider using a phone instead if your GPS broke or do you prefer having it separate?

Will check out that software. Cheers man.

Thanks for the thought though.
    I prefer separate, but then I'm not up on all the things that you can use your "mobile phone" for these days. my kids just brought me a Samsung Android phone for my birthday, so guess I'm going to have to learn how to load it up with apps etc soon.

I tend to also carry Kiwimaps "250 rural road series maps" http://www.kiwimaps.com/range.html for the areas I intend exploring as they have all the rural roads named and give a broad overview of the area.

I find carrying map books a pain as they are large, heavy, and each map doesn't cover a large area if the scale is anygood.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    500EXC
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at 'NZ maps free' on google play.... Good topo map, can do most if not all a GPS unit can if you pay bugger all for the full version. https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&so...C7zXNGGaXBtzYA
    Last edited by oneblackflag; 9th February 2014 at 13:11. Reason: link

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure

The phone is a phone..

Always will be for me. Turn it off and use it when required to make calls.
    The GPS is a navigational aid, have it hard wired to the bike, remove it at the end of the day, stow it away....
    Turn on your phone whilst sipping that brew, it will have full battery cos it hasn't spent all frikken day trying to search for a signal and routes whilst riding.....

Nice to have a swiss army phone but....as long as I can make a call, that's all I need.
    I also have a Samsung S4 and a Galaxy Note II, both are phones first and foremost but, nice to have the back up.
    As for the software for GPS, not too shabby, but give me Garmin any day ON a gps...

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Put my glasses on and it was still out of focus....Phew! Thought I needed the +3.0 there....was about to head out to the red shed and buy some.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    one of my neighbors used the galaxy S4 with life proof case
    Hmm, just looking into one of those now as well. Seems to be better in a lot of ways other than relying on the case to be waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I find carrying map books a pain as they are large, heavy, and each map doesn't cover a large area if the scale is anygood.
    I'm with ya. All good in the car to lug that crap around but why would you on a bike these days. The specific maps isn't a bad idea if that's what you're used to though. Same deal as tramping really.

Will ponder it over but the phone route with a wireless charging pad once I get the bike set up for it looks like it could be a good idea. I understand people liking to keep things separate, but with how far tech has come with phones it just seems a bit redundant to do so (other than the not being able to adjust things with your glove on, but then again, how often do you need to do that and there are those pen things you can use instead.)

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    I use a "Sena" Bluetooth coms unit in my Helmet, Easy to fit in, My phone is a Samsung Ace 3 and I can get spoken directions while Im riding from the GPS in the phone (Google maps only) Handy in a strange city. I can also make and receive phone calls while riding, for ex, tap one button on the helmet unit, Say "Call Home" and its dialing. If I am listening to music from the phone, any incoming call cuts the music off and just tap the same button to receive the call. Ive also set it up so I just say "Call cops" and it dials Star555 , great for dobbing in dickhead car drivers, Ive also used that twice to report rock falls in the Manawatu Gorge, Both times the duty cop has said I hope you are not driving at the moment, I said hell no, Im not that silly. Im doing about 80 KPH on a motor bike, Silence for a few seconds thinking I was being a smart arse then its explanation time.
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Bike
    F800GS
    Get a GPS

I'm like mr Thumper, use the phone for calls/txts and music, and I use a GPS for getting lost

If you want "old school" forget the map book posted earlier and get one of these

Much more detailed

Bike
    a shiny one... for now.
    I've got the sony z1, does everything i need it to do and more. Only issue with it or the s4 is the size, but saying that it still fits in my pocket. I went with the Z1 for its ip rating and durability for work. Battery wise if more is needed you can always get a piggyback off ebay or aliexpress for $30ish.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    I've got an Xperia Active. Small (like I wanted) but it's been good. I've got the free Outdoor Atlas app on it which works ok for topomaps & gps duties, can record/upload tracks & waypoints. Rosie has a 62s for proper nav however so I haven't used the Xperia bolted to the bike as yet. Sat reception under trees definitely isn't as good as the Garmin.

If use on the bike is the main issue for batt life just wire in a usb charger.

The 'Dual Sport Maps' app is apparently quite good for mixing road/offroad nav on an Android ph.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I agree. If travelling off road, then maybe a GPS is worth having, but for public roads, If an unknown part of the province is my route, I'll take a copy of the section of a roadmap. Takes 2 minutes to scan, and folds up to nothing. Lighter than a mapbook. Dosen't go flat and I can read it anywhere. Plenty of roadmaps have the minor roads named, Years ago, I learnt to read, quite a useful skill really

As for using BT on a ride, I ride to enter a world where everything is okay, not to drag family, work etc along.

Not what the OP was asking about, but my rant for the day.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Thread Information