Page 311 of 379 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 5676

Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    sorry thats my problem, never asking the right question, most times i dont know what the term is.

yes blipping must be it. will have a look later getting close to finishing bike. just a few more lumens. bwha haha ha

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    I have to say, commuting is progressing my skills bloody quick ( i feel ) in bike control, lane position etc, being forced to deal with it. Quite comfortable chucking the bike around, having the tiny frame its got is fantastic around the city. Not bad along the motorway either.

Definately need to get the clutch sorted though, its getting worse slowly, but only when i'm ripping through the gears with a good whack of throttle. Little gentler, its fine.

Got a bigger payday this week, hopefully i can get hold of some tank grip, that should help a bit, theres absolutely no grip on the tank LOL

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    I got battleaxe bt45s...
    Good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-on-wheels View Post
    I have to say, commuting is progressing my skills bloody quick ( i feel ) in bike control, lane position etc, being forced to deal with it. Quite comfortable chucking the bike around, having the tiny frame its got is fantastic around the city. Not bad along the motorway either.
    Happy to hear your commuting is going well. I had a very close call with a car almost changing into me today on the motorway so mine needs a bit of re-evaluating..

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Yeah had that this morning, 6:30, half asleep driver, lane change with no indicating, just kinda drifted. Rev bomb and a bit of horn woke him up, but i had to change lanes to avoid him

Bike
    None yet
    Hey everyone, just been referred to this page so thought I would drop in and say hi. Might head out next Tuesday with you guys after work.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by land_lubber View Post
    Hey everyone, just been referred to this page so thought I would drop in and say hi. Might head out next Tuesday with you guys after work.
    Cool, be good to see you there.

Anyone gonna be there tonight?

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    Yep i will be, just changed the brake fluid in the bike, jebus it was filthy. pedal and leaver feel is muuuuuch nicer, lets see how it rides

Bike
    2011, Kawasaki Vulcan VN900 Classic
    Yup I'll be there tonight.
    VN 900 Classic- STOCK!!!!

Bike
    Kawasaki
    I might come for a ride with you guys tonight if I make make it to South Auckland in time. Should make it.

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    Better gear up and get going so I can be there

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    We did HUnua Gorge and Maraetai to night. Then got a bit dizzy at the car park.
    Next week we are meeting at the usual but going to do some car park first before doing a ride.
    Maybe we do thesame roads as we did tonight so that we can see the difference doing car park work first.
    Experience the change in our road riding.

Also we are talking about dog cones, but very modified. Something that is easily clipped on that will encourage us to keep our heads up and work the controls without looking at them.

Just watch this space.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Big night of learning. Was going to pop in the pub but didnt leave untill after 10.

I think Sass will have homework.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    Also we are talking about dog cones, but very modified. Something that is easily clipped on that will encourage us to keep our heads up and work the controls without looking at them.
    I hear sticking razor blades to the cones help...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Essential info for the newbies to SASS:
    South Auckland Street Skills or SASS

WHAT: Learning and improving Riding Skills
    WHEN: Tuesday Nights
    WHERE: Meet at Z (ex-Shell) Service Station, Cnr Great South Road and Taka St, TAKANINI (the one with a Burger King)
    WHO: Riders new and old, and anyone getting back into Motorcycling (must be legal & hold a motorcycle license).
    Weather and venue permitting - Heavy Rain may mean that we are watching DVDs. Showers are OK, look on the thread for more up-to-date information.
    Depending on the number of riders and their experience levels, a short ride may be included to practice further skills. If there are enough riders, some nights can be split into two different groups.

Some nights may include:
    Practicing essential skills and techniques in a quiet carpark
    On-the-road practice which may see you doing up to a 1hr - 1 1/2hr ride.

WHY:
    - Practice essential skills for staying alive on the road.
    - Practical help with your riding.
    - Fun times with fellow riders, with great stories and discussions.
    - Build friendships, solicit advice and pick-up riding tips.

MEET at Z station Takanini -----------> before 6.55pm

START ride -----------------------------> 7pm

FINISH ride at ex-Manukau City Council car park for slow-speed safety exercises -----> usually 8pm-8.15pm
    (next to the new Manukau train station & opp. police station)

SOCIAL time @ BRONCOS after car park exercises -----------> 8.45pm-ish

Cost: Nil, nada, zip, zero, nothing... Just your time and attention.

Details of what will be happening each week will be posted on this thread. So kick the tires and light the fires... Let's ride, aSASSins!

Disclaimer:
    The SASS activity is intended to give any riders advice on their riding and to practice their skills in a safe and relaxed environment. The organisers of SASS are NOT responsible for any rider, their machines and/or any persons involved. All people attending SASS do so at their own risk.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    We did HUnua Gorge and Maraetai to night. Then got a bit dizzy at the car park.
    Next week we are meeting at the usual but going to do some car park first before doing a ride.
    Maybe we do thesame roads as we did tonight so that we can see the difference doing car park work first.
    Experience the change in our road riding.

Just watch this space.
    I found a simpler solution when doing NASS was to have 1/2 the people throwing tennis balls to each other randomly accross the exercise area.
    If lobbed, a tennis ball is unlikely to do more than cause a distraction but forces the rider to pay attention to their surroundings rather than look down.

We also tried calling out sequences for an audio distraction which worked well but tended to give people the wobbles so not good for the person still fresh enough they look at the switch when indicating.
    When I was a rookie I did not have anyone teaching me so I sat on my running bike (on the mainstand) with a blind fold on and had my neighbor call out instructions. E.g bring the revs up to 3 and a half k, left indicate, lights on, dip, right indicate rear brake only, etc. until each was something I did not look down for and I did not have to think about.
    To be fair that was before I did my BHS.

Thread Information