Page 332 of 379 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 5676

Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    CB1300
    Lol, never been a choice I have had to make.
    Every woman I have ever dated including the one I married wouldn't tolerate me without a bike.
    It is not a coincidence that all my shortest relationships where when I only had a car.
    No secrets helps.
    Being honest about what I get out of riding and what I do to minimise the risks is the bulk of why no woman other than my mother has ever tried to stop me.
    Positive reinforcement by way of my better moods and more assistance with chores on riding days does the rest. Pretty sure that would come to an abrupt end if I started lying about the circumstances of damage.

Oops slight lie there. One woman tried to suggest a motorcycle was not befitting a man in her company. I think she was quite surprised to find she was no longer in my company.

I gave up riding for six years because I couldn't afford both and I needed a car.
    After 6 years of constant depression and alienating most of the people who mattered to me I got another bike.
    I still get bouts of depression. But that is much more manageable than constant.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    CB1300

South Auckland Street Skills

I am not suggesting a bike is more important than a human. I am suggesting to give yourself fully to another you must first know who you are and be that person.

If they matter they don't mind.
    If they mind they don't matter.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Fair enough but what works for you won't likely work for me. I'd rather peace in the household, me still riding and no major harm to anyone, so win-win.

If I tried to explain that I'd had a skid down the road, the bike will be gone, I'd be miserable and would probably never hear the end of it. If I'd broken bones or anything serious, I wouldn't mind coming clean - might even give up riding myself.

But not for a few scratches and small broken parts (on the bike) and hardly any injuries. I consider myself very lucky to have come out of it unscathed - it could've been much worse. That would still be scant consolation for the Missus. She knows something went wrong anyway... Let's leave it at that.

"It's alright, honey, I should have had broken bones and lost skin but I'm fine! So see, riding motorcycles isn't so scary! Don't worry!" ... Yeah right.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    It would seem Sass has moved on to marital advice.

Glad everybody is ok.

Next week as Peter is the trained guy I vote he gives a lecture on accident scene management.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Just glad that there wasn't two SASS riders down last night. Pleased that the both of you are OK, lessons leaned?
    Yes I'm asking, were there lessons learned?
    Best thing you two can do is talk this all the way out with your ride mates and of course the cock heads here on KB who WILL deride you for making errors.
    Don't worry about them, make sure your fellow riders understand fully what happened and know how to avoid doing it themselves.
    World wouldn't be the same without me ol mate TIG.
    Need space, raised bike platform, tools and a bit of fuck knows etc , let me know, either of you.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2015 KTM RC390
    Yes lesson learned, avoid gravel and have your headlight adjusted properly. Didn't see the gravel on the road, flicked the bike, went straight down.

Thanks for the offer caseye. At this stage I should be fine. Just need to get my hands on a new shift lever and rod. Not sure how long that will take but I'd love to be up and running if not by the weekend then at least by the next week.

Thanks again for the support guys. Absolutely gutted to have dropped my bike so soon after picking it up but at least there wasn't too much damage and I was able to walk away uninjured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    We were all affected by what happened on Tuesday night. And it will have an effect on our riding.
    The trick is to recognise it and take action to mitigate the issues.

google search for the particular issues you might feel you want to brush up on. There might be something we can practise next Tuesday.

I plan on bringing some material (reading material) on accident scenes and management next Tuesday.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Just glad that there wasn't two SASS riders down last night. Pleased that the both of you are OK, lessons leaned?
    Yes I'm asking, were there lessons learned?
    World wouldn't be the same without me ol mate TIG.
    I’m good, thanks. I saw it coming and know why it happened and am bloody lucky I got off so lightly. Overcooked the corner and came in too fast - counter-steered for dear life but I figure I didn’t lean enough since I could feel the bike not tipping in fast enough and ended up too close to the edge and hit the sand/gravel. Was too dark to see round the corner too and misjudged how tight it was.

Bitch of a thing to happen but I could still ride the bike home and only have a sore right knee and left elbow (and those are mostly 98% good now). Knee pad and textile took the brunt of my landing and so yeah, am very lucky...

Bent handlebar, broken side mirror, broken front brake lever, munted throttle cables, bent rear brake lever, scratches to some of the body and engine covers... that seems to be the extent of the damage to the bike. *whew* Good old Honda quality, aye?

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Irony of it is that I was doing so well in the car park exercises, rode confidently through the roadworks and earlier dark corners of the Hunuas and was enjoying my ride...

Then again, after so many months away from SASS and the open road, I should've taken it easy - especially with some difficulty seeing in the dark.

Bike
    1988 M17 CBR250R Honda
    I've basically stopped riding in the dark atm... headlight angle adjusters have corroded solid so i'm getting some wd40 into it trying to loosen it all up. Good to know everyone is ok and its only metal and pride thats damaged

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    I plan on bringing some material (reading material) on accident scenes and management next Tuesday.
    On that note does anyone have any suggestions what we should do/carry/have/training regarding incident/accidents.

not necessarily mbike incident/accidents.

- came across car accident last week made me think about it....

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Irony of it is that I was doing so well in the car park exercises, rode confidently through the roadworks and earlier dark corners of the Hunuas and was enjoying my ride...

Then again, after so many months away from SASS and the open road, I should've taken it easy - especially with some difficulty seeing in the dark.
    Pride before a fall.

I had this problem with mine, good frame of mind, went thru 3 very slippery corners, (1-oil, 1-pine needles, 1 car pulled out) all just prior to my accident corner.
    just a bit too much over confidence that I had done the right thing on those corners so I was 'safe'.
    just didn't see the change in surface road condition mid corner(road works stopped mid corner).

Most important, you are OK. and I have learnt from your post to be more careful esp in the dark.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    On that note does anyone have any suggestions what we should do/carry/have/training regarding incident/accidents.

This is a good point and will be putting some thought into it. I will be looking into first aid kits and gear to carry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post

At a minimum i have done a first aid course at least once every 5 years for the last 28 years. Sometimes more often for work or relating to some hobby or other.
    I don't carry a kit any more because I have thrown out 100's of dollars of mouldy or water damaged kit and never needed it in the the 20+ road accidents I have stopped for. Usually there is a better equipped car on scene before it gets to anything a bike size kit can cope with.

Knowledge is the set of keys you must carry:
    Understand how to manage a scene.
    Understand how to report an accident for the best outcome.
    Know when, why and how to remove a helmet. Getting this wrong can end a life or change it significantly.
    Know some first aid and how to think outside the box. When someone is bleeding to death they need you to stop the bleeding far more than they need you to have the right size bandage.

Fortunately I have never stopped on the road for a fatality, excluding major medical emergencies. 2 strokes and a heart attack.
    Luckily: Most there has been a medical professional (either off duty or in a big white van) on the scene before I have finished securing it.

If you are prepared it is not a scary or traumatic thing. It kept me awake for weeks the first stroke, I was 13. So I did every discounted or free first aid course I could.
    Road oriented AA ones through school, home and child oriented ones through my brothers play centre etc etcetera.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    This is a good point and will be putting some thought into it. I will be looking into first aid kits and gear to carry.
    Recommended by St. John's last time I asked. 5years ago.
    Blunt scissors.
    Sharp knife.
    I elasticised bandage
    1 non elastic bandage
    1 triangle bandage.
    5 large gauze.
    1 roll sports tape
    1 roll surgical tape
    Box of plasters.
    Mouth to mouth dam.
    5 pairs of non latex surgical gloves.
    Med and large ziplock bags.
    CPR card.

Everything can be improvised but that list will make that easier.

Thread Information