Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Interesting site to go look at.

http://www.nz-iam.org.nz/default.asp

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    So when do you safety check your motorcycle? And how? Im not talking creating a showbike but a basic clean that keeps grime building up on critical areas like brakes, fork tubes, shock shafts, etc. This would take half an hour at worst. Good time to check all your bulbs to. I may go through this as a topic tonight.

Fork seals? Do it by flaring the seals, there is a technique to it. Any fine clean grease will do and every few months. Very important if you have a bike with coated fork tubes. Very simple to do and takes 10 mins.
    Systems, Brakes and lights daily. Test.
    Tyres / chain cursory inspection daily.
    Proper check every 1000 for perishables such as brake lines, brake pads, fluids, moving parts such as brake levers, tyres and chain full rotation.
    Pressures get checked every 1000, any time handling feels off, any time the compressor is getting fired up and any time the bike has been parked longer than the weekend.

If I was a weekend rider, if my bike had a history of being out by even half a pound a week, my tyres / tube were old or my rims bore damage I'd check daily or even more often.

I know the acc answer is every time you go for a ride, but then I don't check my oils waters and tyre pressure every tome I start the car either.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Who is coming tonight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Systems, Brakes and lights daily. Test.
    Tyres / chain cursory inspection daily.
    Proper check every 1000 for perishables such as brake lines, brake pads, fluids, moving parts such as brake levers, tyres and chain full rotation.
    Pressures get checked every 1000, any time handling feels off, any time the compressor is getting fired up and any time the bike has been parked longer than the weekend.

If I was a weekend rider, if my bike had a history of being out by even half a pound a week, my tyres / tube were old or my rims bore damage I'd check daily or even more often.

I know the acc answer is every time you go for a ride, but then I don't check my oils waters and tyre pressure every tome I start the car either.

The outcome of an engine seize is a bit more dramatic on a motorcycle than in a car. Water and oil are both visual checks that are quickly done.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Who is coming tonight?
    Mhe cumin

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    CB1300
    The outcome of an engine seize is a bit more dramatic on a motorcycle than in a car. Water and oil are both visual checks that are quickly done.
    So you check both every ride?
    For me those can wait till the next 1000, that is about 7 days give or take. I usually notice if either are not right via other means. Getting to know your bike will do more for you than regular checks.
    I have lost almost all of my oil while out for a ride and a pipe burst. Checked the oil before I left. About 200kms in I noticed the bike was getting hotter than normal. Not much, but enough it was not as expected. Did not feel hotter, sounded hotter. Preliminary inspection showed oil all over the back wheel. Pipe from oil cooler to block cut on something. Rode to nearest servo, bought some oil an a couple of hose clamps. Sorted enough to get home and to the bike shop in the morning.

Another time Water levels were fine and the displayed water temp was within acceptable. But the fans came on. Only a few seconds every now and then. But abnormal. Cursory inspection nothing. Trip to the bike shop. A blockage before the water pump was stopping circulation. Still get the radiator swirl but limited cooling. Not a physical blockage mind. An air pocket in what should have been a pressurised system.

I have not seized an engine in about 500000kms.

I am not knocking checks.
    I am saying knowing your bike and being willing to root out any change will be as important some day.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    So you check both every ride?
    For me those can wait till the next 1000, that is about 7 days give or take. I usually notice if either are not right via other means. Getting to know your bike will do more for you than regular checks.
    I have lost almost all of my oil while out for a ride and a pipe burst. Checked the oil before I left. About 200kms in I noticed the bike was getting hotter than normal. Not much, but enough it was not as expected. Did not feel hotter, sounded hotter. Preliminary inspection showed oil all over the back wheel. Pipe from oil cooler to block cut on something. Rode to nearest servo, bought some oil an a couple of hose clamps. Sorted enough to get home and to the bike shop in the morning.

Another time Water levels were fine and the displayed water temp was within acceptable. But the fans came on. Only a few seconds every now and then. But abnormal. Cursory inspection nothing. Trip to the bike shop. A blockage before the water pump was stopping circulation. Still get the radiator swirl but limited cooling. Not a physical blockage mind. An air pocket in what should have been a pressurised system.

I have not seized an engine in about 500000kms.

I am not knocking checks.
    I am saying knowing your bike and being willing to root out any change will be as important some day.

Does your bike have a built on water temp guage or something you have added yourself. If added by self interested in were you got it

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    I'm dog tired and still got a guts-ful of work to do...

Should be along from next week once our annual report's settled...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    What a shame we aren't going to see you tonight Tigadee.
    I will be there on my tractor.
    Just reading some of the previous posts about checks; I don't have any gauges (tractors don't have those) but I do keep an ear on the engine noise. I guess I will be in a real panic when it is running quietly

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    What a shame we aren't going to see you tonight Tigadee.
    I will be there on my tractor.
    Just reading some of the previous posts about checks; I don't have any gauges (tractors don't have those) but I do keep an ear on the engine noise. I guess I will be in a real panic when it is running quietly
    tractors have gauges, you have tractor tyres.

put your ear on the exhaust to really hear it

you and your boike run quietly only when parked up

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    I'm dog tired and still got a guts-ful of work to do...

Should be along from next week once our annual report's settled...
    while you have spare time, make a motorcycle out of paper clips , its metal work
    when you are free it will be great to see you once again on the mighty Hornet

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries
    Hey y'all, will have to meet yous at the watering hole, got to get a final report finished before i leave. Bummer, no ride time for me. Will pop in for a cuppa hot choccy, can someone text me when yous arrive please? Car park practice or watering hole, either....cheers, have a good ride out and stay right side up.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I have no belief in doing things by feel. Will say why when not on the phone.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Nice night for riding.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I have no belief in doing things by feel. Will say why when not on the phone.
    intuition - its a feeling - its how I ride

to the young man who dilligently followed me - dont worry its not your fault, return to SASS they have a lot to offer and you will learn to be a better rider esp now summer (daylight saving as you said) is coming - you will forget me. Dont follow a broken arrow.

to the others - more and more I find riding alone best.

READ AND UDESTAND

Thread Information