Page 229 of 379 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 5676

Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I will go to the start and see who turns up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Cheers for the advice. Got my eye on some Berik GPX boots at the moment, more of a sport look to em but I'll have to wait and see how waterproof they really are.

I probably won't be there tonight either. My gear is all soaked from earlier this morning and my boots take ages to dry out, plus I've got a ton of work on I should probably stay late to finish.

Have a good ride tho y'all.
    Sport boots for a sport bike. The cut of them will allow movements you need when in the sport position. Heavy or adventure style boots will make gear shifting and use of the rear brake harder.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Brilliant ride tonight with Peter.

Tigadee poped into the pub after so we fixed the worlds problems.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Cheers for the advice. Got my eye on some Berik GPX boots at the moment, more of a sport look to em but I'll have to wait and see how waterproof they really are.

I probably won't be there tonight either. My gear is all soaked from earlier this morning and my boots take ages to dry out, plus I've got a ton of work on I should probably stay late to finish.

Have a good ride tho y'all.
    Yes it was quite wet this morning - I even put my overgloves on. Uncomfortable as, but they kept my gloves dry a treat. Boots were probably dry in half an hour after I took them off - only the outside since the inside never got wet. A good pair of modern waterproof boots shouldn't leak at all. I swear by Gaerne boots (Italian made quality ). I'm not really into the sport style ones, but my Altus boots are great. I loved them so much I bought a second pair - my first pair isn't really worn out, but they do get a bit damp inside in the summer so I thought it would be good to have a spare pair so I could let them really dry out properly. I hammer them pretty hard - wearing them every day - rain or shine. Never put anything on them - but occasionally clean them if I get them muddy. I got my last pair in Rotorua since there aren't many stockists up here now. First pair I made the mistake of getting them too small - I thought they should be a firm fit like shoes that will stretch. But they don't really give much and they don't need to be tight on like boots you might do a lot of walking in. I think they were around $350. I wouldn't spend less than about $250-$300 on a pair of boots if you're going to wear them every day. The first ones I bought when I got back into riding seemed like good value for about $200, but they fell apart after 6 months - and they leaked. I went to Gaerne and I've never looked back.

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    My are water proof and cost $399. Gortex is a membrane that lets moisture travel only one way. So sweat goes out. Water cant get in. Thats all it does.

Make sure you get matching pants and jacket so they zip together properly.

Good gear costs. Dont forget to get a back protector and have it on where trying the jacket and pants.
    Yea I gotta remember to pick up a back protector too.

Thinking of getting some 1tonne leathers, unless I can find a two piece zip together in a store for a comparable price. ($700)

Bike
    A black one
    Quote Originally Posted by aws View Post
    Yes it was quite wet this morning - I even put my overgloves on. Uncomfortable as, but they kept my gloves dry a treat. Boots were probably dry in half an hour after I took them off - only the outside since the inside never got wet. A good pair of modern waterproof boots shouldn't leak at all. I swear by Gaerne boots (Italian made quality ). I'm not really into the sport style ones, but my Altus boots are great. I loved them so much I bought a second pair - my first pair isn't really worn out, but they do get a bit damp inside in the summer so I thought it would be good to have a spare pair so I could let them really dry out properly. I hammer them pretty hard - wearing them every day - rain or shine. Never put anything on them - but occasionally clean them if I get them muddy. I got my last pair in Rotorua since there aren't many stockists up here now. First pair I made the mistake of getting them too small - I thought they should be a firm fit like shoes that will stretch. But they don't really give much and they don't need to be tight on like boots you might do a lot of walking in. I think they were around $350. I wouldn't spend less than about $250-$300 on a pair of boots if you're going to wear them every day. The first ones I bought when I got back into riding seemed like good value for about $200, but they fell apart after 6 months - and they leaked. I went to Gaerne and I've never looked back.
    I saw some Gaerne's at Red Baron on the weekend but they're almost double what the Berik versions were gonna cost.

I definitely regret buying my current Alpinestar boots though. They were waterproof for maybe 6 months but now they leak as bad as sneakers..

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Tigadee, how is your wee purchase going?

Bike
    2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
    Hi everyone,

I am very new to biking, have just bought a bike, yamaha xvs400, and keen to go on some of these rides. Are these Tuesday night rides still going on? (tbh, too many pages to go through to find updates...)

Any new info about them?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    South Auckland Street Skills or SASS

After checking out NASS, I thought it would be time to try another SASS

Same Rules as NASS apply

South Auckland Street Skills - SASS
    What: Riding skills practise
    When: Tuesday Nights, starting on Feb 2nd 2011
    Where: Meet at Shell Service Station, Cnr Great South Road and Taka St, TAKANINI (Check thread for updates)
    Who: Riders and anyone getting back into Motorcycling (must be legal and hold a license)

Why:
    Practice essential skills to stay alive on the road.
    Practical help with your riding.
    Meet new friends.
    Network with other Riders.
    Time: 6:45pm (Departing 7pm) from Shell Service Station, Cnr Great South Road and Taka St, TAKANINI , arriving at the Manukau Car Park, opposite the Courthouse on Wiri Station Road.
    http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&so...,0.009624&z=17
    Social time afterwards at where ever we decide
    Cost: Nil, nudda, nothing. Just your time and attention.

Weather Permitting -
    Heavy Rain will mean that we are watching dvds . Showers ok, look on the thread for more up to date information.

Depending on the number of riders and their experience levels, a short ride may be included to practice further skills. If there are enough riders, some nights can be split into two different groups.

Some nights may include:
    Practicing essential skills and techniques in a quiet carpark
    On-the-road practice which may see you doing up to a 1hr - 1 1/2hr ride.
    When the weather is not nice we will be indoors watching educational dvds .
    Details of what will be happening each week will be posted on the thread.

Check the thread for more information...

Disclaimer:
    The SASS is intended to give any riders advice on their riding and to practice their skills in a safe and relaxed environment. The organisers of SASS are NOT responsible for any rider and/or any persons involved. All people attending the SASS do so at their own risk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by gabsta View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am very new to biking, have just bought a bike, yamaha xvs400, and keen to go on some of these rides. Are these Tuesday night rides still going on? (tbh, too many pages to go through to find updates...)

Any new info about them?

Thanks!!
    Welcome!

Yes it is. Weather looks good for this week to!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Looking for a leader and route. Hands up.

Bike
    Banana

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    THANKS SIS

This is great - I started my group ride basically knowing nothing about group rides apart from reading that they could be good for confidence etc, what a shock

somewhere on KB there should be a place forum etc that has this sort of stuff so anyone can go and look, and look again if required
    something that can be added to but should be 'cared for' with out all the usual fun KB retoric
    it should have things noobs etc can look out for - road safety, esp things like loose metal, tar bleed and rain, diesel etc
    suggested ideas to get more experience on these types of events which you usually experience once. I am talking about people who havent ridden before or have very little experience.
    maybe some light off road stuff to experience what happens when the rear or front or both slide and what to do - it doesnt have to be much
    just pointers to something or somewhere to get more info
    Things like what happens if you light goes out or you get a flat tyre, what you need to know type of stuff.

Just small general stuff

OK there are ACC sponsored courses and I have done training but they tend to miss these types of things and other things like group riding protocols etc
    It can be scary when a experienced rider pulls up beside you less than a foot away when you are doing 100 kph and you are only just learning to control the bike yourself.

maybe I am out of line

But I care. Thanks SIS - SASS you
    Hit the nail on the head here. As a newby/oldby a site as you describe would be invaluable. You have to wade through a lot of bs before you actually get to read the good stuff. Basic skills are overlooked. Maybe we could twist Robs arm for more pre ride quick tips.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I saw some Gaerne's at Red Baron on the weekend but they're almost double what the Berik versions were gonna cost.

I definitely regret buying my current Alpinestar boots though. They were waterproof for maybe 6 months but now they leak as bad as sneakers..
    Go shopping? Show and tell on Tuesday night?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    F2dz, this is the email address to book your spot. Some hold up with entry forms. colleenryanthompson@gmail.com

Looks like I will be doing the MotoTT day at Taupo the week before as well.

Bike
    A black one
    Go shopping? Show and tell on Tuesday night?
    Nope – the rain encouraged me to stay indoors. Will be going this weekend instead.

F2dz, this is the email address to book your spot. Some hold up with entry forms. colleenryanthompson@gmail.com

Looks like I will be doing the MotoTT day at Taupo the week before as well.
    Cool, thanks for that, have sent an email to them. Is MotoTT a bit more full on? I wouldn't mind going to Taupo but think I'll be waiting til the end of the season to do that.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Taupo moto tt looks a bit more laid back. But not done one.

Thread Information