Page 171 of 379 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,565 of 5676

Thread: South Auckland Street Skills

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I appreciate any help and will try to help others when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by xXGIBBOXx View Post
    Make a list of things you want in your next bike , it helped me . Just take it for a good ride to get a feel it . I wasted a bucket load of cash on my cb400 "cuz I liked the look of it "
    list=Good idea, just like a house purchase, first visit looks, feels and sounds great second visit see all the cracks etc, the list is getting longer.
    would like to keep scorpio for commuting its a 10 min ride for me to work but regos a bit hard $ wise paying off mortgage

been reading KiwiRider and other mags, browing KB and other sites etc for reviews have a few options to look at first.
    in the next few months we can talk shit about bikes pros/cons etc - still have to get restricted and full.

after nailing a few ideas down/options will summon up courage (my main failure) to try a test ride then maybe hire one that seems to fit for a few days just to make sure, dont have lots of money to throw around, and would like to be able to make some of the mods I have done to the scorpio as well as good headlight (maybe spotlight addition for long night rides approx 600 km) we will see what happens remember I am a procrastinator from way back and often need to be prodded/pushed in a general direction

It has taken me quite a few years to finally get a motorcycle, (part broken heart replacement ) thats mostly behind me now - work has slowed in general - it is why I am cautious about spending.

but a list is already being made, by listening to you all and forming my OWN ideas I will get there eventually.... thanks for the advice I am slow at picking stuff up - cu at SASS

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I appreciate any help and will try to help others when I can.

list=Good idea, just like a house purchase, first visit looks, feels and sounds great second visit see all the cracks etc, the list is getting longer.
    would like to keep scorpio for commuting its a 10 min ride for me to work but regos a bit hard $ wise paying off mortgage

been reading KiwiRider and other mags, browing KB and other sites etc for reviews have a few options to look at first.
    in the next few months we can talk shit about bikes pros/cons etc - still have to get restricted and full.

after nailing a few ideas down/options will summon up courage (my main failure) to try a test ride then maybe hire one that seems to fit for a few days just to make sure, dont have lots of money to throw around, and would like to be able to make some of the mods I have done to the scorpio as well as good headlight (maybe spotlight addition for long night rides approx 600 km) we will see what happens remember I am a procrastinator from way back and often need to be prodded/pushed in a general direction

It has taken me quite a few years to finally get a motorcycle, (part broken heart replacement ) thats mostly behind me now - work has slowed in general - it is why I am cautious about spending.

but a list is already being made, by listening to you all and forming my OWN ideas I will get there eventually.... thanks for the advice I am slow at picking stuff up - cu at SASS
    Well a 900 Hornet is a good commuter and play bike. Not trying to sell you mine as I need it gone soon and you need time to look about. But they are cheap to buy and maintain. Nice power down low but wont rip your arms off but good boogie up top. Very easy bike to ride casually. Get revs over 7k it goes hard. But under that its a pussycat. Easy to get luggage and real good economy. Ive done a couple of 700k+ days with no worries. I wouldnt pay over 6k for one and as an idea im putting mine on TM with a reserve of $3999 and hope to get $4500. Thats a truck load of bike for the money. They will be around at that price when you are ready to move as they sold stacks of them if one spins your wheels.

600 and 1200 Bandits are great but a little heavy. There are some nice options like 650/1000 Vstroms if you want really upright.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    (part broken heart replacement )
    As was my re-entry to riding. Didnt stay single for long after getting a motorcycle.

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    As was my re-entry to riding. Didnt stay single for long after getting a motorcycle.
    Some cannot resist leather

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    understand, but its a little more complicated cu at SASS

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    With bike options dont be scared of bigger bore bikes. I went from a 400 to a 1200 with no problems. You tend to ride them like an auto to start with. Put em in top and just ride with the throttle. Rego difference is small so I would ride a 600 to save $150 a year.

Just dont get a ZX10......

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Eldog - Quite a few CB600s have turned up on Trade Me. Good time of the year to be hunting for bargains, I reckon...

A good sign of when you're ready for a bigger bike is when you do start feeling a little slow on the Scorpio, and start throwing it around a lot more. That's what I went through anyway...

See you all Tuesday night!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Eldog - Quite a few CB600s have turned up on Trade Me. Good time of the year to be hunting for bargains, I reckon...

A good sign of when you're ready for a bigger bike is when you do start feeling a little slow on the Scorpio, and start throwing it around a lot more. That's what I went through anyway...

See you all Tuesday night!
    I will keep it in mind, and will talk more, once I get the restricted out of the way which I dont think will be a problem just some more Tuesday night stints
    Need to do more practise at other times not just Tuesday - but been busy with stuff (and lazy too) c u Tues

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder

The North Island 1,600km

I wonder if any one has done anything like this and I can talk to on Tuesday, thinking about doing it next year

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Need to do more practise at other times not just Tuesday - but been busy with stuff (and lazy too) c u Tues
    You'll get there... There'll come a day when a switch is flipped and suddenly you're not thinking about it all but just doing it like it was 2nd nature.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Essential info for the newbies to SASS:
    South Auckland Street Skills or SASS

WHAT: Learning and improving Riding Skills
    WHEN: Tuesday Nights
    WHERE: Meet at Z (ex-Shell) Service Station, Cnr Great South Road and Taka St, TAKANINI (the one with a Burger King)
    WHO: Riders new and old, and anyone getting back into Motorcycling (must be legal & hold a motorcycle license).
    Weather and venue permitting - Heavy Rain may mean that we are watching DVDs. Showers are OK, look on the thread for more up-to-date information.
    Depending on the number of riders and their experience levels, a short ride may be included to practice further skills. If there are enough riders, some nights can be split into two different groups.

Some nights may include:
    Practicing essential skills and techniques in a quiet carpark
    On-the-road practice which may see you doing up to a 1hr - 1 1/2hr ride.

WHY:
    - Practice essential skills for staying alive on the road.
    - Practical help with your riding.
    - Fun times with fellow riders, with great stories and discussions.
    - Build friendships, solicit advice and pick-up riding tips.

MEET at Z station Takanini -----------> before 6.55pm

START ride -----------------------------> 7pm

FINISH ride at ex-Manukau City Council car park for slow-speed safety exercises -----> usually 8pm-8.15pm
    (next to the new Manukau train station & opp. police station)

SOCIAL time @ BRONCOS after car park exercises -----------> 8.45pm-ish

Cost: Nil, nada, zip, zero, nothing... Just your time and attention.

Details of what will be happening each week will be posted on this thread. So kick the tires and light the fires... Let's ride, aSASSins!

Disclaimer:
    The SASS activity is intended to give any riders advice on their riding and to practice their skills in a safe and relaxed environment. The organisers of SASS are NOT responsible for any rider, their machines and/or any persons involved. All people attending SASS do so at their own risk.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I wonder if any one has done anything like this and I can talk to on Tuesday, thinking about doing it next year
    Best we ask Gremlin to pop along sometime then.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Best we ask Gremlin to pop along sometime then.
    OK I will get restricted May sometime.
    After that we will look at asking Gremlin. Then Full License May 2015 so got plenty of time.
    I want to look at what I need and physically I need to be able to do (eg: change tyres?) and fitness level etc
    just the basic overall stuff, yes I have read the info on Iron Butt and suggested items. no brainer for those at SASS

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    OK I will get restricted May sometime.
    After that we will look at asking Gremlin. Then Full License May 2015 so got plenty of time.
    I want to look at what I need and physically I need to be able to do (eg: change tyres?) and fitness level etc
    just the basic overall stuff, yes I have read the info on Iron Butt and suggested items. no brainer for those at SASS
    May 2015? Damn. Dont worry Grems will give you more info than you can handle. Best trick is trying to clamber on to his bike.

Bike
    A black one
    I'll be along tonight so long as the weather doesn't change its mind. Why couldn't it have been this sunny over the weekend?

Good to hear you're thinking of doing the next phase of the licensing eldog, and upgrading the Scorpio too. I can let you know right now though – bike shopping starts off fun but gets old really quick..

Thread Information