Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My KTM 690 Adventure

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc

My KTM 690 Adventure

Hi Folks,

Welcome to my KTM 690 adventure thread!

Strictly speaking its not qiute an adventure bike yet but but over the next month I hope to add a number of goodies which will transform the not so humble 690 Enduro into an even less humble 690 adventure.

My shopping list includes the following:

Rally Fairing
    New Exhaust
    Low front fender
    Linkage Lowerer
    GPS (Zumo 550)
    Foot Peg upgrade
    Seat upgrade
    Bar Riser 65mm
    Scott Oiler
    Headlight protector
    Panier Racks
    Pelican hard cases
    Safari Tank

I hope you enjoy the ride.

First couple of days work photo's :

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure
    This will be very interesting.

How much does the new linkage lower the bike?

Bike
    2009, Ktm 990 Adventure S

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Thanks lads, any tips will be welocmed!!

The linkage lowerer replaces the std prolever suspension likage. You can get 2 sizes...lower 1inch or 1 5/8". I ordered the 1 /58 from the states but of course they sent the 1inch one....dang nabit! I could send it back but have decided to suck it up and fit it. I really only wanted it for tricky slow speed riding to give me that little extra bit of leg stretch! I don't plan to be doing any hard enduro rides on her but the extra inch will be handy.

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    That looks like a bloody expensive way to spend ones evenings - Sky would be cheaper to stay amused!
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Great project bike, I was considering doing the same, but I do a bit of trail riding and wanted to keep the 690 as trailesq as possible.

What are your plans for the seat? I got a corbin for mine, it is rock hard but heaps wider than the stock one, so that at least feels better for the longer days on the bike.

I also got the 20mm KTM bar risers, but wished I had got something higher more adjustable, I am thinking of getting some Rox Risers.
    "As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." ― Herman Melville

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    This should be interesting...couple of questions, why the lowering links (the 690 isn't tall) and why the low front guard? This is coming from someone who threw away the low front guard on the 640 Adventure and uses all the suspension movement available.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Hi Chris, I have looked at the rox risers and may get them but am also looking at custom made set from Aussie which give 50mm rise. I will be putting on some Klm on the 690 before i decide. Its always difficult to know what size rise to get.

I have am working with a local vehicle upolsterer who has lots of experience with modifying bike seats....and is a lot cheaper than an imported new one. He is going to do his magic on the foam this week which i can then look at and tweak prior to new cover being fitted. Hopefully will have it back by the end of the week. I'm looking at a 2 colour option just to be differnent!

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Hi the lowering link is simple to drop the height down to my previous bike height (990 adventure) which I found suited me. The low fender is cos i just like it better that way and is abit more aero dynamic for road use....which i will be doing alot of. I have a nice new orange one arriving from austria hopefully in next couple of weeks! I need to make some brackets to get it to fit but should be no problem.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Warewolf posted some data a few weeks back, when we were discussing the effect of suspension adjustments. The graphs he posted also had a second curve set which showed the effect of adding a 2" lowering link. (I haven't been able to figure out how to copy it into this post)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-a-DR650/page2

post number 26

Basically, it kinda screwed up the rising rate action of the rear linkage, especially near full compression.
    Nothing is free it seems.
    Personally, I think I would rather have the handling and put up with the height, but hey, a 1" link may not make that much difference.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Hi Chris, I have looked at the rox risers and may get them but am also looking at custom made set from Aussie which give 50mm rise. I will be putting on some Klm on the 690 before i decide. Its always difficult to know what size rise to get.

I have am working with a local vehicle upolsterer who has lots of experience with modifying bike seats....and is a lot cheaper than an imported new one. He is going to do his magic on the foam this week which i can then look at and tweak prior to new cover being fitted. Hopefully will have it back by the end of the week. I'm looking at a 2 colour option just to be differnent!
    Who are the people doing the work on the seat? I would like to get some adjustments done to my corbin (they made it too long and I can't open the gas cap without releasing the seat)

Where abouts are you located?
    If you are localish I would be happy to let you try the corbin as it may be a good guide for the work on your seat, and I would be interested to see if it would fit under the Safari tank.
    "As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts." ― Herman Melville

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    excuse my ignorance but wouldnt it be easier to get a 690adventurer than modifying the enduro
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    excuse my ignorance but wouldnt it be easier to get a 690adventurer than modifying the enduro
    Oh you dumb arse.....wheres the fun in doing that..... shezzzz wayne................

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    If KTM made one then it would be easier, but they don't so it isn't.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    make it look like this one...

Nice, very nice..

JMJ
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Thread Information