Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap dentistry in Auckland

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post

Thanks for all the advice. Conclusion: Maybe I should have moved to a country with decent dental services (public or private).
    I feel your pain... :-(

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Thanks, but at $200 a tooth I'm in for at least a grand or so, so not going to happen just at the moment. My existing dentist is about the same rate, and tends to use fillings instead of root canals where possible, to be even cheaper. This is false economy long term but does patch things up in the short term.

I was kinda looking for a cheapo cheapo student dentistry thing but outside of Otago there doesn't seem to be one. And the hospitals only do acute pain relief, so that probably won't include me. (I have a permanent headache and frequent gum infections but no acute toothache as most of my nerves have already been removed).

Maybe I should just pull the damn things out, if I can find a dentist who will do that, and accept payment on the never-never. Or take up boxing.
    he does never - nevers. he takes all the info on you and you fill in a comprehensive form but its interest free and you set the payments. I suffered for years and years cos I was shit scared of dentists- then, my darling friend Carmel - www.malahypnotherapy.com re programmed my fears and I went agot fixed- bliss! you have to do it! bad teeth run down your entire body and soul.
    get a good mouth and you will be uplifted and vibrant!- its spectacular what it can do for your relationship and sexlife too!
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

brockies05 Guest

Angry

Well I went to Smile Dentist in Albany. My first visit was to fix a broken tooth and an hour later it was only $230 and I still think that was fairly reasonable.

I went back a week later to fix three fillings that were 'leaking', and this time after an hour in the chair, the bill was blimin $630!!!!!!

A number of my work colleagues were going to go to Smile Dental after the price of my first visit but now no-one from work nor myself and my partner will be returning.

I have asked for an itemised receipt but all it states was Posterior Composite Resoration x 3.

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by brockies05 View Post
    Well I went to Smile Dentist in Albany. My first visit was to fix a broken tooth and an hour later it was only $230 and I still think that was fairly reasonable.

I went back a week later to fix three fillings that were 'leaking', and this time after an hour in the chair, the bill was blimin $630!!!!!!

A number of my work colleagues were going to go to Smile Dental after the price of my first visit but now no-one from work nor myself and my partner will be returning.

I have asked for an itemised receipt but all it states was Posterior Composite Resoration x 3.
    If fixing one tooth was $230, wouldn't you have expected fixing 3 others to be possibly $690? When did they tell you that you needed 3 other fillings? Was it when you went the first time? They should probably have told you approx how much it would be for the next visit but at the same time, since they didn't, it probably would have been a good idea for you to ask.

Bike
    Always ask for an itemised quote for treatment needed. The you can decided and prioritise what gets done first based on urgency or cost.
    I work in a dental surgery and if people are concerned about the price (most people) I always tell them to let the dentist know that you need a price for the work BEFORE it is done.
    It such an awful, humiliating feeling when you are charged a lot of money that you don't have, when you were expecting a lesser bill.
    As I try to explain to the dentists, they need to be upfront about the cost, as a large unexpected bill is embarrassing and the normal reaction is anger.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by brockies05 View Post

I had some crown/bridge work done some years ago and it was $600 per tooth.
    I had six done...
    You can/could enter into a payment aggreement? I was allowed to pay the bridge work off..didnt have the $3600 on me at the time.
    My last visit/s this year....broken tooth repair $133...two complex amalgam $316..xray and examination $178.
    They want to extract an impacted wisdom but that can wait, it is not bothering me at all.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Te Puna Haora medical centre, Akoranga Dr. Dentist there is called Manaaki Dental.
    Google them, probably cheapest in Akld. Heard nothing but good things about them.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I had some crown/bridge work done some years ago and it was $600 per tooth.
    I had six done...
    You can/could enter into a payment aggreement? I was allowed to pay the bridge work off..didnt have the $3600 on me at the time.
    My last visit/s this year....broken tooth repair $133...two complex amalgam $316..xray and examination $178.
    They want to extract an impacted wisdom but that can wait, it is not bothering me at all.
    $600 per tooth for crown/bridge work - a bargain!
    In back teeth, amalgam fillings (silver) last longer and more durable than composite (white) and are cheaper too

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    $600 per tooth for crown/bridge work - a bargain!
    In back teeth, amalgam fillings (silver) last longer and more durable than composite (white) and are cheaper too
    Are the amalgam ones safer than they used to be?
    I'm heading to the murder house next week for oral bog job but wasn't given the option of silver fillings.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
    I'm heading to the murder house next week for oral bog job but wasn't given the option of silver fillings.
    AFAIK, the recipe for amalgam hasn't changed much in decades if not centuries. It's still about 50% mercury mixed with silver and tin. As for safety, it's always been contentious. If you want amalgam in your teeth, you should ask for it. A lot of places don't do amalgam fillings any more but if you really want it, you should be able to find somewhere that does

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    AFAIK, the recipe for amalgam hasn't changed much in decades if not centuries. It's still about 50% mercury mixed with silver and tin. As for safety, it's always been contentious. If you want amalgam in your teeth, you should ask for it. A lot of places don't do amalgam fillings any more but if you really want it, you should be able to find somewhere that does
    Thanks for the info, I'm not sure I'm in a hurry for mercury.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    Bikes!
    The best brushes/paste I can get and six monthly check ups are looking cheaper all the time.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Whitford dental, cheapest AND best (and here I thought that these were two mutually exclusive terms...) service I have come across yet. Dr Phil Worthington is the guy to see.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
    Generally speaking, amalgam fillings can last for many years, I have amalgam fillings that were done 25 years ago and they are fine. White fillings have a life of 5 to 7 years. They cost more, and need to be replaced much more often. In back teeth, you are more likely to have post-op pain white white fillings, sometime this doesn't settle down.
    The mercury is stable in the filling - when it is being drilled out, it is less stable, but this is more of a concern for the dentist and assistant as they do it all day long - anyway the high volume suction will be on top of the filling to catch any dust and fragments as it is being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    There are arguments for and against both materials. My boss always say do you want Alzhiemers or Parkinsons?
    There are some nasty chemicals in the white fillings, which apparently have been linked to Parkinsons.
    Amalgam is cheaper and lasts longer, and has less post-op pain.

For what is worth, I have white, silver and gold in my mouth. I would never have white in back teeth as the white tends to flex when eating and hurts, I had white but had to have it taken out and replaced with silver so I could eat.

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    Auckland hospital school of dentistry, cheap as fuckin chips, if you dont mind the wait.
    For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Thread Information