Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auckland to Warkworth via the gravel

Auckland to Warkworth via the gravel

Hi,

Im looking at doing as much gravel as possible between Auckland and warkworth (maybe extend it up to welsford)

attached is my path i've chosen from google earth.

Has anyone done this? Dose anyone know if the roads are locked?

Im wanting to know about the forestry road i start off with, is it open?

Any suggestions for some more gravel?

This ride will be finished off with a visit to the puhoi pub!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

also any one know wtf is this? might have to check it out on the way back!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    R80, CB400N, Cb200.
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    Looks like a wrecker's yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes, but bikes = cool and cars = suck. I think it's Newton's fourth law or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    Queer Retarded Fags I think.

Isn't sniper one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by Magua View Post
    Looks like a wrecker's yard.
    car grave yard more like it.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

A short reply

The route you have chosen is not ridable in a couple of places...Riverhead forest is private land, don't go in there, Waitemata motorcycle club has worked hard to retain access for off road events in the forest and we don't take kindly to people pissing the forestry owners off. Similarily the bit between Rainer road and Ahuroa valley road is farm land, as long as you gain permission first, no problem.

The surfaces up there are all hard packed and easy riding, my typical route is as follows:

NW motorway to SH16, Turn off after Riverhead (can't locate the name) onto Ararimu valley road to Bald hill road, Ireland road to Waitoki, same as parts of your route.
    If you want a longer ride....
    Waitoki road, Monowai road, left on Krippner road, left on Tahekeroa road, to Makarau, Wech access road to west coast road then woodcocks to Warkworth. There is no gravel on Kaipara flats road but if you need more do a loop around Kaipara hills road.
    I never go to Warkworth usually turning down Ahuroa road off west coast road to Puhoi then back via Krippner or upper waiwera road.

Get hold of the AA maps of the area they are accurate and show both sealed and unsealed roads.

If you want company post the ride up on this forum and there are usually a few vagrants hanging around...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Thats looks like its on Krippner road, which comes out at Puhoi. Massive views from up there.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    If you end up just north of Kaukapakapa on SH16, the turn off to the Mt Auckland walkway is Kaipara Hills road. Quite amusing stringing that one together with the roads listed above. Back through puhoi etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    The route you have chosen is not ridable in a couple of places...Riverhead forest is private land, don't go in there, Waitemata motorcycle club has worked hard to retain access for off road events in the forest and we don't take kindly to people pissing the forestry owners off. Similarily the bit between Rainer road and Ahuroa valley road is farm land, as long as you gain permission first, no problem.

The surfaces up there are all hard packed and easy riding, my typical route is as follows:

NW motorway to SH16, Turn off after Riverhead (can't locate the name) onto Ararimu valley road to Bald hill road, Ireland road to Waitoki, same as parts of your route.
    If you want a longer ride....
    Waitoki road, Monowai road, left on Krippner road, left on Tahekeroa road, to Makarau, Wech access road to west coast road then woodcocks to Warkworth. There is no gravel on Kaipara flats road but if you need more do a loop around Kaipara hills road.
    I never go to Warkworth usually turning down Ahuroa road off west coast road to Puhoi then back via Krippner or upper waiwera road.

Get hold of the AA maps of the area they are accurate and show both sealed and unsealed roads.

If you want company post the ride up on this forum and there are usually a few vagrants hanging around...
    thanks for that, i've found a suitable bybass for the forestry bit, Ararimu valley road to Bald hill road.

That bit you said was farmers land - how would i get in contact with the owner?

Bike
    That bit you said was farmers land - how would i get in contact with the owner?
    Wander up there and start knocking on doors.....

There are a lot of what look like roads that are on private land, if you get access just remember you may need knobblies to actually cross that land!

Bike
    Adv
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post

Yip, that is true. About time for another gander up north?

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    question..how do you open the kmz files?
    want to haave a gander at the maps but can't open em.
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    question..how do you open the kmz files?
    want to haave a gander at the maps but can't open em.
    you open them with google earth

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by johannvr View Post
    Yip, that is true. About time for another gander up north?
    Hi Johann, you are probably right....I'm busy the next couple of weekends, after the king country ride I will post something up and we can bicker over where to go.

Bike
    Adv
    Bicker? Us? Never! We don't do that, get lost, run outta fuel or anything such - our bickering is called constructive disagreement ... Would be good to have pretty much a final ride up north for me - moving to the land of Wellywood in July ...

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I'm up for a ride, assuming it randomly falls on a free weekend (haven't seen many of those recently!).

Thread Information