View Poll Results: Toyota Surf or Nissan Terrano?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Surf

17 42.50%
  • Terrano

14 35.00%
  • This spot is for poll-whores who do'nt have a reliable opinion yet feel the need to vote

9 22.50%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota surf or Nissan Terrano?

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y

Toyota surf or Nissan Terrano?

Obligatory mention that I know this is a bike forum.

I'm looking for a 4x4, and have found two which i'm deciding between.

I do'nt care so much for 4x4 ability too much, I already know Toyota surfs are better off-road. In all reality, it will be used more than 90% on-road, and will only really go up the odd rivers and down the odd beach and to the snow which both will happily do and in all reality could probably be done in a rav-4.

The two are a 1994 2.7 Diesel Terrano, and a 1992 2.4 Diesel Toyota Hilux Surf.

The Terrano has 70odd more kms, and immaculate for it's age.
    The Surf obviously has the lower kms, and is above average for it's age.

The surf is a little more expensive, doe'st have a turbo timer, although looking at the owners it probably did'nt need one!(but still something I would get) It needs a new rego and some RUC's to get it the same as the terrano. Oh, and it has a sunroof!

The Terrano has a rego until Dec, 10000kms and of-course a functional turbo timer.

My plusses and minusses for the two.

Surf: - Would need to purchase a rego and user miles and turbo timer, not quite as tidy as the terrano.(close) Initial cost is $400 higher, before the rego, RUC and turbo timer. (so possibly more like $800+ more expensive)
    + IMO Looks a little better than the terrano, has less kms, feels a little gruntier even with a smaller engine......although they are probably about the same, hardly used over the last 5 years (second vehicle/seems genuine enough)

Terrano - Does'nt quite look as good, (although one of those vehicles that kinda "look good" for that model/I was quite surprised how much it did appeal to me) no sunroof, higher kms, did'nt feel quite as quick as the surf but I drove 3 surfs after the terrano so memory is biased I think.
    + Pretty immaculate, looks as if the current owner is as pedantic as me, $400 cheaper (not including the RUCs, rego and Turbo timer the surf still needs) and good to go, plenty of rego until dec, heaps of RUCs to go.

So which is a better vehicle? To me they're so close i'm literally thinking of tossing a coin, there's the Toyota reliability thing, but in saying that, the Nissan's are just as if not more reliable......

Purely going off price, the Terrano wins, as the Surf is more expensive from the start and needs a few things, but is better looking and i've owned a Surf I was really happy with before, and it did feel a bit more peppy. In saying that, the Terrano was more comfortable and pretty spotless, and I would'nt have to do a thing to until the end of the year..........oh, and it's two years younger.

Which way would you go and why? Have any info on either model you think would be important?
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Mate of mine has a Terrano - and its been nothing but a pile of trouble - go the Smurf
    =mjc=

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Bloody hard to go past a Toyota,even easier to make a decision when the other options a Nissan.I am somewhat biased as i sold them for years,they are though a bloody good vehicle.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    BMW K1200R
    Blog Entries
    Def the Surf, the engine is pretty bullet proof, can't go wrong.
    "And if I claim to be a wise man, It surely means that I don't know"

Bike
    About 6 months ago I bought myself a mint 93 Terrano, 2.7 turbo diesel with 179,000km on the clock.

When I was looking I found the prices of the Surfs ridiculous for what they were so went with the Terrano. Scored myself a recaro optioned model, had no dramas with it at all, perfect.

Oh, the Terranos use a timing chain not a belt. One less maintenance item.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Neither for me..... As they are cages...
    But as the missus wants one.. one day, then I would actually go with the surf.

She has had the use of a Terrano for a past few months, and has grown to hate it!
    Mind, the complaints she has had are all related to it being a perfect off road vehicle...

The owner used to have a Land Rover, and rated the Terrano highly.
    Take that either way....

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    Quote Originally Posted by miSTa View Post
    About 6 months ago I bought myself a mint 93 Terrano, 2.7 turbo diesel with 179,000km on the clock.

When I was looking I found the prices of the Surfs ridiculous for what they were so went with the Terrano. Scored myself a recaro optioned model, had no dramas with it at all, perfect.

Iv'e noticed the same, especially with the two i'm comparing the terrano realistically is probably a better buy, i'm letting looks and favouritism get the better of me I guess. From other sites they seem as reliable as each other, problem being other sites are overseas so I want info from kiwis on how theirs have preformed.

How do you find it at speed/on the open road? Does it keep at 110 pretty happily or is it a bit of a struggle? What's the diesel consumption like and how bad is up-hill stuff?

Cheers
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    No problems with sitting at 110 or thereabouts. As for hills, don't know sorry - I tend to stay within the city limits (mines a work vehicle and my work is normally within the city boundary).

Economy wise around town I tend to fill up after 450 odd km and put 55 odd litres, can't really be sure as I don't worry about it too much.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by miSTa View Post
    I'm pretty sure they have gear driven cam/injector pump, should last as long as the engine.

I own a Terrano so I'm probably biased, but when i was looking to buy it stacked up a lot better than a Surf for the same money. The 2.4t toyota engines can have expensive problems, the 2.7t nissans are usually good for around 300k. Terrano manual gearboxes last about 150k before they do the bearings if you tow with them, auto's usually last as long as the engine.

The only thing I've had to do to mine in 7 years and 80k's is the usual oil and filters, and replace some front suspension bits because they tend to wear out a bit quicker when you bash them up river beds and 4wd tracks.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter View Post
    How do you find it at speed/on the open road? Does it keep at 110 pretty happily or is it a bit of a struggle? What's the diesel consumption like and how bad is up-hill stuff?
    Sits at 110 all day fully loaded no problems, from memory runs around 10l/100k, goes up hills OK as long as you're not in too much of a hurry
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Get the surf, but if you are able to spring a few $$ more go for the 3 litre turbo one. Drive one and you will see why.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Your mom
    The 2.4L turbo diesel Hilux engines are known for cracking heads and blowing starter motors. They are also gutless as fuck.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    You think they are gutless? Try a 5dr Nissan Menstrual auto!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    The TD27 terrano is one of the most reliable engines around, IF AN ONLY IF they've had regular oil and filter changes. There are heaps of TD27 engines at wreckers and bugger all Toymotas for a good reason.

Things to watch out for on the Terrano are auto tranys with towing big loads and rust under the rear seats.

That model Smurf also cooks auto trannies if towing big loads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

You need the Surf with the Terrano motor.The Toyota 2LT is crap,it will crack a head before it gets anywhere near hot,replacement heads are so bad that they are crack tested new,or have start up warranties.If it breaks a cambelt the camshaft will be smashed and all valves bent...new head again.

The Nissan TD27 is bullet proof,gear drive cam,cast iron head with pushrods.Auto trans in the Terrano is weak,and so is the manual.Double skin rear floor rust in the Terrano,repair is not an option....although not as common as rumoured ,I check several a week,and have never seen a rusty one yet.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    You think they are gutless? Try a 5dr Nissan Menstrual auto!
    Yeah that'd be right. We drove one and we thought there was something wrong with it. There wasn't.

The biggest problem with the 3L turbo surf is stopping it wheelspinning in the wet.

Steve
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Thread Information