Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which pretend classic is best? Kawasaki W650 or Triumph Bonne?

Bike
    V four and Thumper

Which pretend classic is best? Kawasaki W650 or Triumph Bonne?

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if it's been covered or not, but I was wondering about pretend classics. From everything I can tell, everyone who rides one of the new but old looking Triumphs only has good things to say about them, and the same is true for the Kawasaki W650. Everyone says it's like riding a classic bike that actually works (!) and doesn't leak oil all over the place.

So which is a better bike? Kawasaki or Triumph?

Should someone in the market for one be swayed by the cheaper price of the Kawasaki? or the bigger engine in the Triumph? Or should they just harden up and get a real classic!?

The W650 is closer to an old Triumph than a new Triumph - it's smaller and lighter just like the original,and can be modified into what you want it to be.You can still buy a new Bonnie,and get the parts for them.And you can buy one modified from the factory into what you want it to be.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    The Kwaka is a classic that works

The Trumpet is a retro-styled modern bike

So, which do you prefer? style or substance ?

Me - I ride a dinosaur
    =mjc=

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    I had a Thruxton and liked it a lot, I have ridden a W650 at a Kawasaki test day but for 20 mins so the only comparison I could make is the Thruxton had quite a bit more urge up to 140 and the W650 was running out of puff after 120. The Triumph is a 900cc after all so that part is obvious. Both have decent parts backup but there is more out there for customisation for the W650 'off the shelf' from my investigations, especially now Deus Ex-Machina have set up shop here.
    The Triumph will more likely hold it's value, the bottom of the range Bonnie goes for 14,500 new and it is hard to get a 5 year old one for under 9K. Plenty of low kms ex-Japan W650's to be had for cheaper if you get someone to import one for you.
    Either way, personally I like the look of both of them but for open road and especially 2-up I would go the Triumph..

Edit: neither of them had any soul or charm like a real classic..
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The only thing I did not like about the W650 was it was not a W750! I'd probably own a highly modified one if it was a 750 with just that extra bit of poke. Pretty sure there is a big bore kit around.

There are some beaut ones around that have been modified.

Heres a dedicated site to perve over.
    http://kawasakiw650.co.uk/index.html

Ironically the Kawasaki is more 'Triumph' than a new Bonnie but at the end of the day which one can you go to your local dealer and buy new?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti View Post
    neither of them had any soul or charm like a real classic..
    I am pretty sure that there is an after-market kit available for both bikes that causes them to vibrate badly and leak oil.

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I am pretty sure that there is an after-market kit available for both bikes that causes them to vibrate badly and leak oil.
    Haahaa, the vibrations keep you regular.. no excuses for the oil though
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    I have only ridden the Bonnie for about 1/2 an hour from a dealer, despite my Ducati Darmah leaking oil, not starting first time every time, I would not trade it for any of the retro bikes on the market...However If I had to ride one every day I'd probably go for the Thruxton as the Ducati Sports Classic is too expensive and looks very uncomfortable to ride.

Deus in the city gets the Kwaka 650s and makes bobbers and cafes out of them...look ok .
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2006 Triumph Bonneville T100, RSV Mille
    I've racked up 98,500 km on my bonnie T100.

With a little bit of research, a fun time can be had.

Bike
    09 Victory Hammer
    I was looking for a weekend fun bike and thought about the bikes you mentioned, then I bought a 79 XS650 and set about having a bit of fun re-building and modifying it. I can only say that you cant buy the satisfaction of having your handywork get through re-certification and back on the road. It vibrates like a bastard, is offensively loud, but its a totally involving ride...heaps of fun, and in the windies its bloody hard to shake off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sims' Tracker 1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	211449  

Bike
    '69 K0, '71 Stinger, '73 Z1, '74 AC50
    Does the "old look" in the "new style" ever work? Just look at the PT Cruiser
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm livin' the dream.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by toycollector10 View Post
    Does the "old look" in the "new style" ever work? Just look at the PT Cruiser
    It does'nt work , when has it worked ?

And, yes, the PT cruiser is a horrible piece of work, can't think of a car I'd like to own less , ugly, gutless and under-engineered .....

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by I'll C U Jimmy View Post
    I was looking for a weekend fun bike and thought about the bikes you mentioned, then I bought a 79 XS650 and set about having a bit of fun re-building and modifying it. I can only say that you cant buy the satisfaction of having your handywork get through re-certification and back on the road. It vibrates like a bastard, is offensively loud, but its a totally involving ride...heaps of fun, and in the windies its bloody hard to shake off.
    Nice job you've made on the XS Jimmy !

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    - GB4/5/600
    - Triumph Scrambler (NOT THE BONNIE!)

W650 is not a bad bike, but its as classic looking as a vrod.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I offer that service for any bike.

Give it to me for 10000km or so to thrash the crap out of and will happily return it doing both those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Thread Information