Thread: Thinking of painting my bike

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800

Thinking of painting my bike

I need to do mudguard, belly pan, tank, tail.
    I have basically zero experience with spray-painting. (Cans excluded).
    I can borrow the equipment.
    I could pay an expert but money is a consideration. I understand I'm in for around $700 to get it done professionally.
    I also believe there are very few things one should not try to do oneself. Learning is making mistakes.
    It doesn't have to be perfect (she's an old bike), but I don't want to make a complete muck of it either.

Questions:
    If I value my time at zero, and the equipment is free, how much am I likely to save doing it myself? (Basically, what's a good budget for cost of materials?)
    How much time is it likely to take to do this?
    What is a reasonable budget for sandblasting, assuming I don't sand it all by hand (to save time)?

I realise I am crazy and should get a pro to do this. Can't do it soon if $700 is the price though. I just want to make an informed decision.

Bling (and thanks in advance) for all help...
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    I need to do mudguard, belly pan, tank, tail.
    I have basically zero experience with spray-painting. (Cans excluded).
    I can borrow the equipment.
    I could pay an expert but money is a consideration. I understand I'm in for around $700 to get it done professionally.
    I also believe there are very few things one should not try to do oneself. Learning is making mistakes.
    It doesn't have to be perfect (she's an old bike), but I don't want to make a complete muck of it either.

Questions:
    If I value my time at zero, and the equipment is free, how much am I likely to save doing it myself? (Basically, what's a good budget for cost of materials?)
    How much time is it likely to take to do this?
    What is a reasonable budget for sandblasting, assuming I don't sand it all by hand (to save time)?

I realise I am crazy and should get a pro to do this. Can't do it soon if $700 is the price though. I just want to make an informed decision.

Bling (and thanks in advance) for all help...
    To be fair...it's a bit of an art form and shouldn't be taken lightly. To get a good finish, the preparation is very important and the spray gun needs to be of good quality. It's not difficult but needs time and patience to get a good finish. Good quality paint is expensive by the way.
    I'd say collect a bit of knowledge off someone and go for it.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    What colour ?,
    straight colours like black ,white can be bought fairly cheaply,
    4 litres for Under $100,add 4L thinners $40ish,4L primer $60ish ,4LClear $100 + sandpaper $20or so

So for $320 or under you can do it yourself in a basic colour.
    You can get alot dearer paint,or cheaper paint.Its up to you.

4l's will give you a lot to play around with,if you mess it up ,you can sand it back again and redo.
    Its a good way to learn,and lots of fun.

I will be doing mine someday soon,will use cheapish paint and lay down a shit load of coats

Heres a Kit minus primer for $250,if you shop around you can get cheaper/lower quality paint....
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-310464387.htm
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    and lay down a shit load of coats
    Do what is needed and no more!!! Less paint = less problems!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    To be fair...it's a bit of an art form and shouldn't be taken lightly. To get a good finish, the preparation is very important and the spray gun needs to be of good quality. It's not difficult but needs time and patience to get a good finish. Good quality paint is expensive by the way.
    I'd say collect a bit of knowledge off someone and go for it.
    +1 and I'd add get somebody to inspect your prep before painting, and show you the correct technique to apply the paint.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I did my old scooter myself, cost me about $300 for paint, thinners, primer etc. Ended up with a respectable enough finish, certainly good enough for what it is.

Would pay to find something to practice on for your first spraygun full to get used to how it works, and as has been said preparation is everything. If you can see something before the paint goes on you'll really see it after.

Get yourself a basic DIY book from your local library and have a read up first, there are things you've never even thought of that make a huge difference to the finish.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Do what is needed and no more!!! Less paint = less problems!
    Many coats doesn't always end up being the answer. I have used paint that oyu heat up gently and apply one light coat you can hardly see and then a heavy top coat that dries to a perfect finish. Paints these days are awesome to use. Need to spend the money to get the goods though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    +1 and I'd add get somebody to inspect your prep before painting, and show you the correct technique to apply the paint.
    Also would recommend this. Maybe just whip down to your local panel beater painter and let him have a jack at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    I did my old scooter myself, cost me about $300 for paint, thinners, primer etc. Ended up with a respectable enough finish, certainly good enough for what it is.

Would pay to find something to practice on for your first spraygun full to get used to how it works, and as has been said preparation is everything. If you can see something before the paint goes on you'll really see it after.

Get yourself a basic DIY book from your local library and have a read up first, there are things you've never even thought of that make a huge difference to the finish.
    Plenty of reading material that would help. I learnt most of my tricks from reading.
    Be patient and do good prep it should be all good.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Thanks for all the good advice. When I get to do this, I'll post some pics of how it turns out.

Oh, and it will be black.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Oh, and it will be black.
    If you must do it yourself?

Buy quality materials i.e. Dulon 1lt (you'll piss in with a litre), 1lt Dulon Premium Clearcoat and most importantly AAA thinner 4lt. Don't let some shop muppet tell you 2-way thinner is just as good, cause it isn't!
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Thread Information