Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How are LED strips classified under the law?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries

How are LED strips classified under the law?

Been reading up, as I reckon having a strip either side on the handguards could be useful. A, increase perception of size of bike to others on road, B, backup for when both filaments in your bulb blow at night (not perfect, but I guarantee better than nothing).

My first answer would be Daytime running lamps, however, the regs are clear they may not operate when dipped or main beam (aka headlamp) is in use. This doesn't differ from cars to bikes either. Seen plenty of euro cars (and others) with both daytime and headlamps operating at the same time.

If cosmetic lighting, they cannot be directly visible from certain angles, and they clearly fail this. If you tried to classify as a headlamp you have rules about angles and motorcycles may have 1 or two headlamps, therefore, you would need to pass off both strips of LED's as one headlamp, if they bought it, assuming you only had one headlamp to begin with. Except you then have issues with the reg that a headlamp must be fitted with a light source that is specified by motorcycle or headlamp manufacture. They also have to be angled downward... and LED strips glued/taped to handguard have no adjustment. (unless I guess, you angled the guard down). Then they also have to illuminate the road for 50m, on dip.

Ideally, I'd have them wired into headlamp circuit, so they are always on... daytime running lights do not permit this.

If you'd like a fun few hours of reading (or want a headache) relevant sections in PDF format are here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/vi...ification.html

Thinking of something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...rewritten=true
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    ... want a headache) relevant sections in PDF format are here: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/vi...ification.html
    14e Reasons For Rejection

The headlamps are not capable of being switched to dip or switched off from the drivers seating position...

How the hell do I ever get a WOF lol. I cant turn my lights off at all ! Well I can, by turning the engine off.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    But your LEDS would appear to be legal if classified as forward facing position lamps !
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    2008 Suzuki V Strom DL 1000
    Blog Entries
    The lighting rule is a wonderful piece of gobblegook!

You may notice a large number of whiteish Holden Commodores running round that in theory have illegal daytime running lights.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    14e Reasons For Rejection

The headlamps are not capable of being switched to dip or switched off from the drivers seating position...

How the hell do I ever get a WOF lol. I cant turn my lights off at all ! Well I can, by turning the engine off.
    Main section 14 under headlamps... "when the main beam headlamps are switched on"... ie, on high, you can't switch to dip or off from driving position. Definitely a problem...
    But your LEDS would appear to be legal if classified as forward facing position lamps !
    I initially thought this, until I found the piece which determined the difference between categories. Mandatory and permitted equipment, Section 2:
    One or two lamps may be fitted to:
    a) a motorcycle that does not exceed 1.5 m in width
    b) a motorcycle first registered in New Zealand before 1 January 1978 that does not exceed 2 m in width.

oooh! I read that as exceeds 1.5m (ie, a wide bike...). They must be fitted to a bike exceeding 1.5m, may be fitted to a bike not exceeding 1.5m.

Also, with recent law changes, it used to be that over 1.2m they couldn't be fitted (the supermoto is a very tall bike) but now, if bodywork doesn't make it practical, it mustn't exceed 2.1m (show me a bike not matching that ) Even better, the rules state the lights MUST BE SEEN within an angle, whereas other sections are MUST NOT BE SEEN... handy
    Quote Originally Posted by red mermaid View Post
    The lighting rule is a wonderful piece of gobblegook!

You may notice a large number of whiteish Holden Commodores running round that in theory have illegal daytime running lights.
    zigactly! When pinged for them (either cops, or VTNZ failing bike), I don't want to say, hey, but they all do the illegal stuff, why can't I? I would much prefer to stay within the law... much less hassle. Thanks to dave making me read the rules a little more carefully, I think I know what to call them
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    L0- M50
    As you prob know gremlin, i know nothing much about lighting.

But cant you just put it on, and get someone to Cert it? if cops pull u over, surely no big deal?

I donno.. just a suggestion haha.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    THIS is the problem with lighting legislation.

Nobody has realy specified what constitutes a 'day-time running light' or 'side marker light' or 'auxiliary light' or 'forward facing position light' or...

So just fit the lights, pick what suits your need legality-wise and call them that.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonzc View Post
    But cant you just put it on, and get someone to Cert it? if cops pull u over, surely no big deal?
    A wof is a point in time check, not a guarantee for 6 months or a year. I could get pulled up for it the next day and fined. LVV cert is possible, but a pain in the ass, just for some led strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    THIS is the problem with lighting legislation.

Nobody has realy specified what constitutes a 'day-time running light' or 'side marker light' or 'auxiliary light' or 'forward facing position light' or...

So just fit the lights, pick what suits your need legality-wise and call them that.
    Yep, pretty much what I had concluded, but cheers. LED are specifically mentioned in position lights, ie, 75% or more must work, so they have thought about them for that category. Seems safe, just wanted to double check. I prefer less hassle, time wasting etc. Only issue will be if they change the freaken law, which is inevitable

I've bought the strips from link in post 1, should have them fitted tomorrow afternoon, roping in GiJoe, as I need a lekky monkey, not trusting myself.

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Last time I checked they were classified under "gay" and "rice".
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    Last time I checked they were classified under "gay" and "rice".
    So if I put them on my Harley it would then be classed as a sportsbike??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    fluoro mess
    dont go to vtnz?

though from what i've heard they are one of the easiest places to get a wof for a bike
    Education not Legislation

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    :slap: And guess who will be the muppet who will have to help gremlin do this bit of lekky blinging?

I wonder if I can teach him good enough so that he will know how to do any future installations ... I mean, I'm a teacher ... how hard could it be to teach Gremlin to install some simple LEDs?

I'm.

So.

Screwed.

"I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Black to -ve, red to +ve, switch inline, don't pinch/crush the wires. Done.

Not that I've done it before...
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    So if I put them on my Harley it would then be classed as a sportsbike??
    They're just lights, not a Jenny Craig program for motorcycles.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    so are you fitting these to the front of the handguards?.I am thinking about tdoing this to the ol beemer which has a marginal electrical for commuting with headlight on,and calling them daylight running lamps,would be pretty easy to wire them via a relay so they would go off if headlamp was turned on .

Thread Information