Bike
    F800GS
    Its o.k. you can all stop panicking now. I'm home, safe and sortof sound

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries

Bike
    '91 R100GS Supertanker
    Home just before the weather packed a sad..

I'm guessing back to work today? Deal to those cheeky work colleagues. Don't forget the ice creams.
    IT'S JUST BETTER WHEN THERE'S TWINS INVOLVED..
    My GS build thread is here
    My ride photos are here

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Nelson Anniversary day. Holiday time.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
    Home just before the weather packed a sad..

I'm guessing back to work today? Deal to those cheeky work colleagues. Don't forget the ice creams.
    Lucky me Got home just before midnight and woke up to hear rain on the roof @ 5:30, I was blessed with outstanding weather.
    s'pose I'd better get the workers ice creams......tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    norf island can relax now. whew
    Oh.....that was me ? I just thought they were tense and highly strung normaly

Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Nelson Anniversary day. Holiday time.
    And tomorrow
    The place I work is celebrating Waitangi day tomorrow. Celebrating in the normal way .......

Ride report to follow. There might be some info in there that could be relevant to the n.z.tag game

Bike
    F800GS

The Independence tour 2013

Hmmmm.... where to start

Well.... after a bit of an "interesting" 2012 and with the harvest fast approaching I decided a bit of a road trip was in order. Where to go ? and what to see ?
    Family in Auckland was the decision and while I'm in the North I may as well have a look at this East Cape thing I'd heard about.

Firstly, pack a bit of gear

I did take more, but that was the esentials

After diddling about for to long working and getting sorted I headed for Picton, missing the 2:00 ferry by 15 mins No worries, I'll just chill out in Picton and wait for the 6:30. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, I ran into Pomgolian and chatted for a while over a beer and .chris showed up too. Before long the ferry arrived
    Bye south island

I'd tee'd up to stay with a couple of random strangers in Wellington while waiting for the ferry. I had the address and the instructions to follow my nose and I'd get there. My nose must've been broken as I had to stop and check the phone/gps a couple of times, but I got there eventually.
    Cheers Bald Eagle and Ratti, your hospitality was excellent

Day 1: After getting a pretty vague clue for where the N.Z. Tag may be I set off the next morning. After another missed turn off ( a recurring theme as it turns out )and deciding the ferry terminal wasn't where I wanted to be I made my way out to Makara (?) wind farm. Very nice ride out there
    Some of the road

Got the Tag

Then... time to head North, sticking with the theme started earlier in the day I thought about placing the tag up here, to keep the wind farm theme going, Some of the worst gravel I've had the displeasure to ride on to get there though. Just above Palmerston North

A local

Then I just wobbled my way to Tiniroto for the night. The pub was full of dirty feral bikers though BUt it's o.k. They were friendly and after introductions they offered me a tent and mattress. Good on ya's, Nic, She Wolf, and a heap more who's names I can't rember just now. After a couple of and a feed, I teed up some better accommodation at a fine establishment just up the road (cheap too )
    Here it is, Tiniroto Community Hall

Woohoo..undercover parking.

I'll add some more later as it's too nicer day to be sitting inside typing on a keyboard

Bike
    F800GS
    Day 2....
    Seeing as how I had no fixed agenda how could I refuse an offer to explore some back roads with some other like minded people
    This is what you see when sitting at the pub enjoying some amber liquid

And here is some of the rides for the day, obviously some are more suited for adventure than others

Some others had gone off exploring already, Keeeen as this bunch
    Anyhooo we left the roadies behind and started the day with Parikanapa rd, a luverly little back road just up the road from Tiniroto

And just to show that I was there

Then we took in some more back roads through Pehiri and Tahunga and through a little place called RERE !!, there was a water fall there

Ending up at Matawai for refreshments and to join up with the roadies. After lunch.... (mmmmmm lunch ) those of us on appropriate steeds headed off to have a look at the Motu rd
    Some stayed on the seal wonder why ?

We had a look at the Motu falls, guided by a new fullah on a DRZ400, sorry, but I'm struggling a bit with names, so from here on we'll refer to him as Hey You !
    There was a bridge

That's He Wolf with the camo pants, for want of a better term, OI Cant you read the sign ? You shouldn't be there !
    Anyway.... back to the Motu, this is a little bit of it.

After a bit more riding we reached the turn off to the Otipi rd. Decision made to go and have a look at it, woohoo this was going to be the highlight of the trip and I was fair fizzing, couldn't wait to get into it (you get the picture ? )
    Anyway.... I haven't lost my touch, and before getting very far Hey You's ! little Suzi decided it didn't want to go anymore A note to all.... when ever I am around some piece of machinery will break down, you have been warned
    Seeing as how it was my fault I towed the broken thing back to a farm house

pic courtesy of Shewolf

After givving my new friend a ride out to Opotiki where there was a small debrief and alternative transport was sorted for the bikeless comrade we went our seperate ways, the others to god knows where and me to a handy pub with secure parking.
    I had a wee look around Opotiki

Yes Nordie, the bike was there, I didn't take the bus

And White island

Thats about it for this day

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Nice.
    Thanks for the BB too.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post

That's He Wolf with the camo pants, for want of a better term, OI Cant you read the sign ? You shouldn't be there !
    Anyway.... back to the Motu, this is a little bit of it.
    Yea sorry "He Wolf" was taken, was gonna take "Wolf Rider" but then i got smacked

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    one day i'll catch ya sneaking around up here

nice photos bro
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
    Yea sorry "He Wolf" was taken, was gonna take "Wolf Rider" but then i got smacked
    I should think so too is just what you need for even thinking something like that would go un punished. woulda been a giggle though

Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    one day i'll catch ya sneaking around up here

nice photos bro
    You'll have to be quick matey. Not sure when I'll be back. Might be another spur of the moment thing

Anyhoooo

Things have changed a bit with this thread and it no longer seems right to be posting my trip reports here. So I have asked a mod to close the thread.

I may start another one in due course, as I have some other little bits to share.

FWIW The rest of the North Island was good, got to Cape Reinga and the Hokianga, and actually did East cape on the way home, very nice too. I used a few State highways, some secondary roads and some gravel roads, and got lost a couple of times

Thanks for reading/commenting

James
    Allison
    Tom
    & Zara (although she didn't feature, she kept things sorted at home)

Bike
    DR 650
    Very nice.
    Thread will be missed.
    Will keep an eye open for your new adventures.
    Zara gives thumbs up for comment on her

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I see the Bimmer is in for it's 10,000km physical already.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Been a good thread guys.
    Won't be long before the TZ's start posting their OE trips now they're all growned up
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Thread Information