Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a 1986 Suzuki NZ250

Bike
    1985 NZ250

Restoring a 1986 Suzuki NZ250

I am spending a couple years in American Samoa. There are no motorcycle dealers here and it's tough to find people to ship motorcycle parts here. Anyway, I picked up a beater 1986 NZ250 and it runs pretty well but has alot of cosmetic issues as well as some mechanical. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a service manual for the bike off TradeMe before the cancelled my account for not being from New Zealand. I know this bike was made for New Zealand and Japan so parts will be hard to find.

Can you guys give me some advice on where I might look for parts for this old bike? I do plan to be making a trip to New Zealand in March and tour around a bit so any local shops that might have somew old parts laying around would be great too.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobnims View Post
    I am spending a couple years in American Samoa. There are no motorcycle dealers here and it's tough to find people to ship motorcycle parts here. Anyway, I picked up a beater 1986 NZ250 and it runs pretty well but has alot of cosmetic issues as well as some mechanical. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a service manual for the bike off TradeMe before the cancelled my account for not being from New Zealand. I know this bike was made for New Zealand and Japan so parts will be hard to find.

Can you guys give me some advice on where I might look for parts for this old bike? I do plan to be making a trip to New Zealand in March and tour around a bit so any local shops that might have somew old parts laying around would be great too.
    Bike wreckers around NZ have quite a few bits.

I have an NZ in bits in my Garage.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship to you?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1985 NZ250

Thanks James

I think it would be good to post of pic of the bike so you guys can see what I am working with. If I were in another part of the world I might not take the time to try and pretty it up but motorcyles are not common here. Probably only a thousand on the whole island and maybe 50 on the road. I would really like to get my hands on a decent muffler and a pair of rims. I suppose I could respoke it but would rather not I am starting to work on a parts list of what I need and what I like.

Heres a link to a pic of my bike...
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Bike
    1985 NZ250

Parts needed for NZ250

Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

Hey James I could really use the rear taillight assembly. Mine is currently ducttaped on to the bike cuz the plastic parts are all broken. Part number is 35710-70A.

I could also use the side and rear fairing parts if your paint is decent. BTW what color is your bike? Mine was the black and red paint scheme at one time. Now it mostly bad black paint. My fairing parts are not to bad but have been broken in a couple spots in its life. They were repaired poorly.

I could also use the front turn signals. Mine are crap. I could get aftermarket but figured I'd see if you have them.

Out of all the thing the most critical piece I am trying to find that I can't really get around is rear taillight assembly.

If you can help me out I would appreciate it greatly. I would have emailed you directly but this system won't let me email you because I have not used it enough.

Shipping would be to Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799

My Email address is bob.nims@gmail.com

Bike
    nz250
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

sorry to hijack
    i am desperate for a piston for an nz 250,do you have one for sale james

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a piston (sorry Pete), but I may have a spare tailight assembly - I'll rat around in the boxes this weekend.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    raptor 1000
    i sold 2 om tm a while ago one a good runner with rego and wof and one as a parts bike, pm conqistidor he had some bits

Bike
    nz250
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    i sold 2 om tm a while ago one a good runner with rego and wof and one as a parts bike, pm conqistidor he had some bits
    cant pm yet mate,any chance you could,and pass on my email adress

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    easy to get one from japan,they run about NZD 100 plus freight.for a good used one

let me know if you need one
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    nz250
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    easy to get one from japan,they run about NZD 100 plus freight.for a good used one

let me know if you need one
    yeah i definitely need one ,with rings
    also sent conqizitor an email

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by petebike3 View Post
    yeah i definitely need one ,with rings
    also sent conqizitor an email
    sorry dude,I meant the taillight

as for teh piston,as far as i know its a genuine only deal
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    nz250
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    sorry dude,I meant the taillight

as for teh piston,as far as i know its a genuine only deal
    no worries mate,ive sort of hijacked this thread but have also started a wanted thread

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Re NZ 250 piston:

Sorry, I sold all mine a while ago. There was a good running bike, one in bits and a couple of spare motors. A guy from Central Hawke's Bay bought it all but I have no contact details for him anymore, so I am not much help. Remember when I had them I could not get new parts anymore in NZ. If I was you I would contact all bike wreckers and see what they have, and perhaps bite the bullet and buy a spare bike/motor (That was how I ended up with all the bits) as no new bits are made anymore for these. A wrecker in Whakatane had a motor for sale.

But if there are bits available s/h in Japan it might be what you will end up doing!

Good Luck guys. Nice light and fast bikes they are!

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    if you can get hold of some rust kill paint, paint the spokes with that give them a scotch bite up and paint them that will stop the spokes rusting anymore

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    nz250
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquiztador View Post
    Re NZ 250 piston:

Sorry, I sold all mine a while ago. There was a good running bike, one in bits and a couple of spare motors. A guy from Central Hawke's Bay bought it all but I have no contact details for him anymore, so I am not much help. Remember when I had them I could not get new parts anymore in NZ. If I was you I would contact all bike wreckers and see what they have, and perhaps bite the bullet and buy a spare bike/motor (That was how I ended up with all the bits) as no new bits are made anymore for these. A wrecker in Whakatane had a motor for sale.

But if there are bits available s/h in Japan it might be what you will end up doing!

Good Luck guys. Nice light and fast bikes they are!
    thanks for all your helps,cant even get them new from suzuki anymore,might have to get one made as a last resort,shame to scrap the bike for the sake of a piston,and been scouring the adds for any more that may be for sale but nothing out there at the minute

Thread Information