Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Progression of a total motorcycle noob

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by GPXchick View Post
    sorry to hear about the crash......I just wanted to mention i don't put my knee down but definitely out towards where i'm turning, is this a bad habit i'm forming if anyone can offer a word.
    I don't think sticking your knee out is bad form. I think the main thing is you weight the inside peg. This will shift your weight to the inside. Getting your knee out to be effective requires you to shift your bum off the seat (to the inside). But naturally letting your knee out is ok - as long as your inside leg is firmly planted on the peg. you just don't want it flapping around out there - lol
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    2010 Keeway Cruiser
    Great thread mate! Sorry about the crash, I hope the two of you are OK.

You're not a total noob either. I am, however. I need to get on my bike and ride a bit more often, hopefully show my face a bit more around the forums too...

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Don't put yourself down, you had an off.

Many of us have.

Learn from it and move on.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bike
    600 Unicorn
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    I'll probably get chewed for this, but if you're going knee down on the road - you're doing it wrong.
    Agreed. Lee Parks has some good pointers in his book, but let's not forget the part where his knee-down activity is practiced in a car park under controlled conditions, and on closed roads (or the track).

If you are routinely getting your knee down on the road, you're on borrowed time. Lee Parks and Keith Code both talk about traction as a finite resource. Spending 100% of it cornering on public roads like Rossi will eventually end in tears, and probably someone elses.

Save it for the track.

Bike
    600 Unicorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantman_ View Post
    I've filmed my form and it's A-okay. The Lee Parks book is detailed on what is and is not correct form. It's as simple as super tight corner = big lean = easy knee down opportunity without a blistering speed.

Anyone who has ridden the Mangamukas will know exactly what I mean. I've seen nothing like them anywhere, not that I've been far north too long. They are a real gem. Bitumen hairpins, great stuff.
    Full credit for being fastidious about technique, I respect you for taking that initiative. But confidence is your frenemy. Take it easy man.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantman_ View Post
    I've filmed my form and it's A-okay. The Lee Parks book is detailed on what is and is not correct form. It's as simple as super tight corner = big lean = easy knee down opportunity without a blistering speed.

Anyone who has ridden the Mangamukas will know exactly what I mean. I've seen nothing like them anywhere, not that I've been far north too long. They are a real gem. Bitumen hairpins, great stuff.
    Watch out for that though.
    I used to be "yeah man knee down is the shit" but it takes fuck all to fuck your knees for life on the road.

Catseye's, a gutter, a pothole...... and it feels like someone has taken to you knee with a sledge hammer. DAMHIK!
    Now I don't put knee down that often in corner.......and surprisingly enough I corner faster, and actually get lower
    My boots now get scraped more.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neon View Post
    But confidence is your frenemy. Take it easy man.
    What he said.
    We are all "god-like" riders - until we crash.
    Make sure you get the scars, but walk away.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    1912 Grindley Peerless
    Quote Originally Posted by GPXchick View Post
    sorry to hear about the crash......I just wanted to mention i don't put my knee down but definitely out towards where i'm turning, is this a bad habit i'm forming if anyone can offer a word.
    It's naturally what's going to happen when you transfer your weight to the inside and your ass shifts over on the seat. It's not a habit, it's a technique. For sportier riding where you are pointing your shoulder into the turn your knee is gonna want to follow.
    If you're confident to be moving your weight around on the bike and understanding how that changes the dynamic, then keep doing what you're doing.

transferring your weight to the inside allows you to keep the bike more upright, which reduces the shear effect/angle between the tyre and the road lessening the chances of a lowside, and stops your boots getting worn out

If anyone is considering getting a mentor, find someone that knows how to ride, not neccessarily someone that has been riding for a long time.
    Lots of people have been riding for years and doing it wrong for years and then passing on their bullshit to new riders as gospel. this is bad.

Buying the biggest bike you can find when you pass your test is not good either, you can learn a lot about bike skills riding a small bike well and fast, than you can struggling with a heavy, overpowered intimidating bike. Go up in smaller stages.

Just because you've passed your test doesn't make you rossi. New riders, and born again bikers get into lots of trouble this way

Bike
    gsxr1000 k1
    nice first bike too!!!!!

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy-DAYTONA View Post
    Great thread mate! Sorry about the crash, I hope the two of you are OK.

You're not a total noob either. I am, however. I need to get on my bike and ride a bit more often, hopefully show my face a bit more around the forums too...
    If you ever feel like riding with a nanna rider, hit us up.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    2010 Keeway Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    If you ever feel like riding with a nanna rider, hit us up.
    That'd be awesome. I'm in Tokoroa with a 250cc and not a lot of experience under my belt, but I'd be keen!

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Well another event in my progression has passed. Today I undertook my restricted license practical test. Passed without a hitch. Had powerful wind with flying rain now and then during the test. The examiner commented positively about my riding in the crazy wind. Uneventful test other than having to make a conscious effort to fully stop and put down both feet at stop signs - so they could see I'd fully stopped.

Have to say I'm chuffed and still very impressed with the CBR250RR as a first bike. That's after over 6 months of riding over 8,000k's, plenty of action blasting through the Mangamuka Gorge, and commuting as often as possible (commuting 100% now that my car is playing up). What a fine bike.

Just over a month back I made a video, somewhat of a tribute to the CBR250RR and the fun I've had on this bike. Most truly I needed this release outside work. Over the last 6 months, riding and motorcycles have really become a dominating pastime. In my opinion I couldn't have asked for a better start to riding, including that earlier accident.

Good times.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT
    Thanks for that. It looks like you are having way to much fun. great vid.
    Ride it until the wheels fall off...

Bike
    2011 Triumph Street Triple R
    I've been itching to do the Mangamukas again since my first big bike ride in Jan 2000... and I'm finally going back this weekend.

Naturally, it's frickin' raining all weekend.

Bike
    Honda CBR250RR (L)
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Linnell View Post
    I've been itching to do the Mangamukas again since my first big bike ride in Jan 2000... and I'm finally going back this weekend.

Naturally, it's frickin' raining all weekend.
    It's a big let down. I'm always hanging out for good weather in the weekends so I can have decent fun riding. It's frustrating but a this time of year, even when it's not raining, most of the Mangamukas are a bit damp. The overhanging trees and morning dew leaves a lot of dampness that doesn't want to leave.

Thread Information