Thread: How to get started?

Bike
    2012 Ninja 250r

How to get started?

Hi guys,
    I am keen to learn to ride, but not too sure where to begin.

Once I have got some gear (picked up most of it already) and done my basic handling course the next step seems to be to go out and get a bike. But once I buy a bike, I will need to get it back to my place. I live an hour outside of Auckland so this will most likely involve a ride through the city and up the motorway and SH1.

I'm not sure what level of riding I will be at after the basic handling test, but I'm sure I won't be confident/practiced enough to ride on the state highway straight away. I don't know any riders who could pickup the bike for me, but I could try and persuade the owner to deliver it.

Is this a common situation? Any suggestions as to what I should do? (I don't own a trailer either)

Cheers

Bike
    Kawasaki Z750
    What sort of bike are you looking at for your first? I agree that it seems like a difficult situation. If the owner of a particular bike can't/won't arrange for a way to get the bike to you, you could possibly look into these services:
    http://www.biketranz.co.nz/
    http://www.motorcyclemovers.co.nz/
    http://www.nzmotorcyclemovers.co.nz/

I haven't dealt with any of these companies myself, I've just been searching around for ya. Another alternative is you could always hire a trailer and pick up the bike if you don't feel confident in riding on the motorway straight away (I probably would have been scared of it too).

If you have done much driving in a car before in the city then it won't be so scary once you get the hang of the bike.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sedub View Post
    Once I have got some gear (picked up most of it already) and done my basic handling course the next step seems to be to go out and get a bike. But once I buy a bike, I will need to get it back to my place. I live an hour outside of Auckland so this will most likely involve a ride through the city and up the motorway and SH1.

I'm not sure what level of riding I will be at after the basic handling test, but I'm sure I won't be confident/practiced enough to ride on the state highway straight away. I don't know any riders who could pickup the bike for me, but I could try and persuade the owner to deliver it.

Is this a common situation? Any suggestions as to what I should do? (I don't own a trailer either)

Cheers
    It is part of the adventure that is motorcycling.

State highway one is not the only route through Auckland. Find an alternate route that you can easily find (and follow) and take back roads home. It may take longer ... but count it as practice and training. You will be more familiar with your new purchase when you get home.

Or buy a bike close to home.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015 Striple 675
    When I got mine I just asked if they would be willing to deliver it to me, I gave him a lift back home and issue sorted. If you're looking at trademe always worth asking up front.

Have you considered hiring a trailor?

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Do you have any riding experience at all? If not, then no, do not contemplate riding it yourself and no, just doing your bhs is not enough, it's just a test you need to do so you can sit your learners theory, it's not a lesson unless of course you pay extra to get a lesson on top of that. I was in your position recently, still am really haha. I didn't think I'd be awesome the first time I hopped on a bike but I underestimated how good I WASN'T. Sat on a bike as the rider for the first time on my life for a lesson/bhs on 24/11, passed my bhs thanks to my patient and supportive instructor. Bought a bike 28/11 had a friend who rides take it home for me. Got my learners 30/11. I've had two more lessons with an instructor since then and have been around my block once practicing. My gear hasn't arrived yet so I've only got a borrowed helmet and jacket so don't want to do too much until it comes. I'd invest in lessons if you need them though chances are you won't be as unco and lacking in confidence as I do. That said, I would get someone else to bring your bike back home for you. I like someone's suggestion of seeing if the seller will drop it off and you drive them back after. Do you have anyone at all to give you lessons or mentor you? If you don't then do one lesson at the very least, learn some good habits etc. Anyway can't imagine I've helped feck all, good luck,

Bike
    A black one
    I wouldn't recommend riding it home after just a BHS test either.

Although I didn't have much more than that, I still had a lesson after mine for around an hour. After that I rode my bike home, then around all day, in the rain and at night, all in the same day.

Pretty surprising you can legally ride anywhere after only a BHS test. I'm surprised I even passed mine with how much wobbling I did. But I'd suggest finding a good instructor who could meet you where the bike is.

I bought my first bike off a mate. Got to his house an hour before my lesson, rode it around the block for an hour then went for an hour long lesson. I found that driving a manual car for years before riding really helped too. Couldn't imagine going from an automatic to riding a motorcycle.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    Pretty surprising you can legally ride anywhere after only a BHS test.
    You can't. You have to get your BHS, just so you can sit the Learners Theory. Only once you pass that can you legally (not necessarily literally, lol) ride on the road.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f2dz View Post
    I found that driving a manual car for years before riding really helped too. Couldn't imagine going from an automatic to riding a motorcycle.
    Yea, you can imagine my dilemma. I've only been driving 4-5 years and that's an auto! Can't drive a manual car, so motorbiking is screwing with my head!

Bike
    2012 Ninja 250r
    I talked to the seller, and he says he can deliver it or get one of his friends to, so problem solved. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Bike
    2015 Striple 675
    Awesome! What did you end up getting?

Bike
    2012 Ninja 250r
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevee2 View Post
    Awesome! What did you end up getting?
    A Suzuki Goose sg350, hopefully getting it dropped off tomorrow

Bike
    FZR,Jog,GZ maybe CBR?
    Good looking bike! Had to google it cos I don't know anything about them. Take it out every day for a ride. How ever short or long you want.

I started with taking off, finding where the clutch engaged when taking off in the driveway. Stalled a fair bit but who doesn't. Take your time, it will come.

Once you get better you may want to take off and change to second. This will also teach you the basics of braking. Find a nice quiet road and ride up and down, get a feel for the bike and the gears and brakes. Practice emergency braking too.

Eventually you'll want to do some cornering. Quiet road is a must, its better to be slow around the corner than to panic. Stick to the basics - do all your braking/gear changing before you enter the corner. Look to where you want to go - where you look is where the bike will go. Don't fight the lean, go with it - grip the tank with your thighs. Watch Twist Of The Wrist 2 if you can, it helped me. I'm still not the smoothest - I'm on/of with the throttle sometimes but whatever I'm learning.

I have gone from stalling to being able to ride around the block, hitting Exup/power band within a month and its pretty much from just taking the bike out every day - well apart from when there was that storm and tornado, stuff riding in that. Clocked up nearly 100 km now.

Bike
    half litre street beater
    Quote Originally Posted by sedub View Post
    A Suzuki Goose sg350, hopefully getting it dropped off tomorrow
    You've got great taste in bikes. The Goose is a cool machine, lots of fun and very nimble in the twisty bits. Plus looks grouse too!
    Was very tempted to buy a tricked out one a while ago, had been kitted out with Ohlins, big Keihin FCR carb, Yoshimura exhaust... made me drool and it was fantastic to ride.
    You want some advice - lightning strikes once, it does not strike twice!

Bike
    2012 Ninja 250r
    So I did my basic handling test and lesson yesterday, got my learners thismorning, and rode my bike for the first time today!

I didn't actually get out on the road, just road around the tiny front lawn and driveway. It was a lot harder than I expected, my bike is much bigger and heavier and less manoeuverable than the bike I did my BHS on, and there wasn't much room on the lawn. I dropped it once (on the grass, luckily there was no damage), and got the bike stuck for about 10 mins.

The next step would be to go practice on a carpark or a quiet suburban street, but I don't live next to either of those, I have a steep gravel driveway leading to a hill in a 100k zone.

My lawns not really big enough to practice so I will have to bite the bullet and go out on the road, I don't feel nearly ready for it, but gotta learn somehow 

Planning on going out tomorrow morning at about 6.30-7.00, the road should be pretty quiet.

Thread Information