Page 10 of 195 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Bloody wife and kids - yesterday missed out cos of parent teacher interviews.
    Sunday missus is organising a neighbourhood / community "earthquake, schmearthquake - keep smiling" BBQ / get together - I tried the old "ride would get me smiling, honey" but didn't seem to cut the mustard - go figure, eh?
    What's that book called "men want to ride motorbikes and women are from venus" or some such thing - I would love to do the Molesworth / Rainbow before they close but looks like I will be slaving over a hot BBQ!
    Just get up xtra early and go anyway

Whats the worst that could happen

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Just get up xtra early and go anyway

Whats the worst that could happen
    You a brave man when Mrs Jatz ain't looking ova your shoulder
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Good to hear mate, look forward to some pics

I am presuming this is a private land access ride with a few $ dropped off to the land owner? Do you have any track info, curious if your planned route is near Lake Rubicon or is more towards the Broken River side of the range
    This is an organised trail ride on private land $50per person and yes last years trail takes you around Lake Rubicon which looks like a top fishing spot!
    See flyer at www.myrides.co.nz
    Definitely do able on the DRZ but you would have to strip it down...ie: no panniers
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Quote Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
    It was a great ride, even managed to fit in some work calls. And being able to show an overseas visitor our back yard was a treat, even though he would have found the XF's to be "slugs" compared to what he normally rides. His road bikes are a ZX14 & a DL1000, plus he motox's a RMZ450 & enduro races a KTM 450 with big bore kit. But he still enjoyed our gravel & scenery.

At one stage I discovered that Freewinds can fly, but they don't land very well !! Sturdy boots (Crossfires) & decent pressure suit saved the day, but I will need a new helmet.
    Might post some pics tonight but they aren't that great.
    A bit of a ride report:
    Big mobs of cattle on the Brothers, which meant every gate was shut plus boots & bikes stunk of effluent for the rest of the day.
    McKenzie, Haka & Myers Passes all good, dry & fast.
    Elephant Hill back road was thick with deep pea gravel - real tank slapper stuff.
    Clarksfield Rd spoilt by someone dumping gravel heap accross road at bottom of hill - very effective at slowing down m/bikes, result here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...don-t-knock-it.
    As always with this cruisey gravel loop, BlackForest Track was the highlight.
    Just 2 pics:
    1) View of Waitaki Valley from near top of Clarksfield Rd
    2) Meeting with Haldon Manager where between talking farm stuff, I got permission for future adv ride that goes through the Station & over the top to the Haka Valley.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0294.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	723.4 KB 
ID:	235278Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0296.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	235279

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Nice one mate, have a good ride

At this point I think I will be in Chch on the weekend of the 17th so well keen at this stage, it'd be good to get out for a ride with Ryan again... hint hint there mate

Doing a bit of a run this Sunday if you are keen, Molesworth, Porika, Braeburn, New Creek to Denniston, Karamea

Radiator all fixed Matt?
    What's the schedule Josh, where you overnighting? I've got Monday to Wednesday off so might be able to catch you up somewhere

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    What's the schedule Josh, where you overnighting? I've got Monday to Wednesday off so might be able to catch you up somewhere
    Gi'day mate, a few things I have to sort out here in Chch so a change of plan, I'm now heading up Monday. You were saying the Molesworth is more of a scenic route than a challenge, but I haven't yet done it so keen to have a looksie, then down to the Porika, Braeburn, New Creek to Denniston, and end up in Karamea at our holiday batch. I'm heading up there to spend about 6 or so days with my father doing a bit of chilling out, fishing, hunting, tramping etc. Keen as to catch up for a ride mate, plus you are more than welcome to crash at the batch if you want

Bike
    DRZ400E
    What's the schedule Josh...
    Plus have a nosy up Altimarlock (off Molesworth)

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Gi'day mate, a few things I have to sort out here in Chch so a change of plan, I'm now heading up Monday. You were saying the Molesworth is more of a scenic route than a challenge, but I haven't yet done it so keen to have a looksie, then down to the Porika, Braeburn, New Creek to Denniston, and end up in Karamea at our holiday batch. I'm heading up there to spend about 6 or so days with my father doing a bit of chilling out, fishing, hunting, tramping etc. Keen as to catch up for a ride mate, plus you are more than welcome to crash at the batch if you want
    Hmmmmm, ya got me tempted, ok if I come to Karamea for the night? I'd head back home Tuesday via Oparara and Big River, but best I check first with the High Commander!

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Hmmmmm, ya got me tempted, ok if I come to Karamea for the night? I'd head back home Tuesday via Oparara and Big River, but best I check first with the High Commander!
    For sure mate, there are a couple of my fathers mates there also doing a bit of fishing etc but the batch is set up with bunks, fold out couches etc, there'll be plenty of room. The tides are looking right for some early morning fly fishing for some Kahawai which will most likely be the plan for Tuesday morning, then maybe a fish up the Karamea River, no set plans, playing it by ear. Whatever the case, you're more than welcome mate

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    For sure mate, there are a couple of my fathers mates there also doing a bit of fishing etc but the batch is set up with bunks, fold out couches etc, there'll be plenty of room. The tides are looking right for some early morning fly fishing for some Kahawai which will most likely be the plan for Tuesday morning, then maybe a fish up the Karamea River, no set plans, playing it by ear. Whatever the case, you're more than welcome mate
    Doh, miscalculation, I've got one more nightshift to go ie: tonight so will be sleeping tomorrow, I wouldn't have been able to go till Tuesday
    Might have to skip this one as the thought of riding up and back on me Lonesome doesn't really spin my wheels

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Doh, miscalculation, I've got one more nightshift to go ie: tonight so will be sleeping tomorrow, I wouldn't have been able to go till Tuesday
    Might have to skip this one as the thought of riding up and back on me Lonesome doesn't really spin my wheels
    No probs, I'll catch up with ya on the next one

Bike
    800XC

Up the Molesworth back the Rainbow - tomorrow

G'day,
    Thinking about heading up to Hanmer at sparrows tomorrow morning and doing "the loop" was going to try and fuel up and head out of Hanmer as early as possible - ie leaving chch at 6 - 6.30, to hit Hanmer when the petrol station opens and then on the road

Leaving that early cos I want to try and get back round to do the Malings / Edwards tracks depending on time / light etc
    Anyone keen?
    Cheers Crim

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    If your doing that and heading back to chch after doing Edwards and Maling,s then that is one long day....good luck mate

Bike
    800XC
    A great day - but I am now shagged - left at 7 (slept in) so decided the Edwards and Malings wouldn't happen so just did the loop - up Rainbow down Molesworth. Roads close this weekend so time was running out
    My GPS says 669km, 11.57 trip time - took all the gear - tools for africa and a survival pack seeing as how I was travelling alone (didn't use anything but if you didn't have it..........)

Below - a couple of scenic shots - she is great country up there!
    one just to show that I was there (told you I took all the gear!)
    and the last to show how they raise money in North Canterbury - none of this namby pamby mufti days at Waikari School!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3290003.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	235567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3290020.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	235568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3290015.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	235569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3290021.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	235570  

Bike
    dr650
    Woke up at 5.30am ish yesterday morning and decided to go for a bit of a ride. Did a similar loop as above but up through rainbow across to murchison and down through lewis. 655km and just under 11 hours later i was home. Biggest day ever on a bike.

Name:	mini-IMG_1364.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	235822
    View from above hanmer, rode through a lot of early morning fog

Name:	mini-IMG_1376.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	235821
    Good weather!

Name:	mini-IMG_1379.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	235820
    Went up malings (i think) pass, rode around the gate

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	801.2 KB 
ID:	235819
    Bag failure just over the crest from the previous photo meant the tool kit fell into the rear wheel and locked it up

Name:	mini-IMG_1411.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	235823
    Avoided porika (was by myself) but still went to see the lake on the way to murchison

Name:	mini-IMG_1412.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	235824
    Down through maruia saddle and back through lewis to chch.

Thread Information