Page 54 of 195 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    3 black ones
    anyone keen to take there bike out on the new motard track at ruapuna?

seen this on face book

"Dirt-bikes on 21/18 inch wheels welcome as well (no knobblies though). Proper supermoto racing in Chch (Ruapuna) will finally be held on 10th Nov (followed by a motard/dirt-bike only track-day on 17th) - spread the word please. At least 10 entrants are needed... message Shoutout Events for more info."

Bike
    800XC
    Anyone keen on a quick Lees loop tomorrow afo? - plus look at the post above (didn't want to hide it for you cynna)

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post

seen this on face book

"Dirt-bikes on 21/18 inch wheels welcome as well (no knobblies though). Proper supermoto racing in Chch (Ruapuna) will finally be held on 10th Nov (followed by a motard/dirt-bike only track-day on 17th) - spread the word please. At least 10 entrants are needed... message Shoutout Events for more info."
    Had seen that post in the Motard section of KB
    Might have to dust of my motard wheels thou think my road slicks will be a bit scary on the grass...might be better to use my dirt wheels with intermediates???? choices choices!
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    2001 R1150GS

seen this on face book

wheres Ruapuna, if its close to hamilton im in.....

man that would be awesome
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    How does everyone rate the Worsely's rd 4wd track in terms of difficulty compared to things like the roads of the Dusty Butt, and just adv riding in general?

I'm new to adv riding and gave it a go yesterday, dropped the bike about a million times and ended up stuck in a ditch near the top and coasting back down after the bike wouldn't start. Definitely the most challenged I've ever been on a motorcycle. Definitely counts as an adventure for me!

But if that's the sort of difficulty that I can expect on every proper adventure ride then I wonder if I've made a big mistake. Or maybe if I just need more practice.... (definitely).

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Nice one McWild, I often fall off once on trips up that one (not every trip), don't usually fall off going down it and I can get the Transalp down it but never tried taking the Transalp up, saved going up for the smaller bikes... DR650 or smaller.
    I'd rate Worsleys as more difficult than most adventures for reasons of the depth and amount of the ruts. DB1k is not really a ride for novices due to the overall distance each day as much as the terrain.

You need to hook up on a Lees Valley, waimak loop, or a CCC loop to start then progress to do Rampaddock Rd to Hamner to Edwards and Mailings Passes and back in a day to get a taste of DB1K type riding.
    Other stuff I want to do soonish would be a ride in to Big River (Reefton) and the Porika/Braeburn/Maruia Saddle. Add the Rainbow key to exclude more seal and make another loop.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    xr650
    "Starting in the deep end Mc Wild" - I like your style

Transalp - What tyres will you be running for the Big River ride - be lot of tar to get there ?

Still undecided what tyres will go for when T63's shot - (might get 2000 k's out of them) wondering
    how long E09's would last doing rides with bit of tar on an XR ...

How does the average punter go shod with a e09 front and e07 rear on the challenge sections of the DB1k ?

(Maybe train with e07 rear and then whack knob on back for DB1k, like the experienced one said - be prepared for change in weather)

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    I hear the Mitas C02 is liked by some XR650 owners. I put about 2 or 3 on the DR650, the knobs are tall so move around a bit especially when new but held on ok.
    I only own two rear tyres for the WR so far and bearing in mind there will be quite a bit of seal getting north I might indeed be best to put the stock Bridgestone TW302 back on.
    Will continue to use the Perelli MT21 front until it's all gone. Got Mitas C16 rear and C17 front coming for DB1K.
    Front end traction is the one I'd worry about more for most stuff now days... DB included I suppose. Still like a good rear but more concerned about the front.

Someone (Buddha?) used the Tractionator HT available from Dirtzone in ChCh on a XR650 (1dayer) last DB1k. Wonder what he thought of that?
    Last edited by Transalper; 3rd November 2012 at 10:34. Reason: just remembered the Tractionator
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    xr650
    Yeah the dreaded washout has to be avoided !

Another set of rims be the go .....

Cheers for the tyre options

"Have a cracker blast tomorrow"

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    I hear the Mitas C02 is liked by some XR650 owners. I put about 2 or 3 on the DR650, the knobs are tall so move around a bit especially when new but held on ok.
    I only own two rear tyres for the WR so far and bearing in mind there will be quite a bit of seal getting north I might indeed be best to put the stock Bridgestone TW302 back on.

thought of that?
    have a look at the shinko 244, bits 4 bikes have them, i had mine delivered for a total of $108. me and mxnut are running them and im really impressed with the longativity and traction both on road and gravel havent been on the muddy stuff yet. there out lasting my usual TW302's and my mx tyres.
    rear only though, AC10's rule the front of my pig.

value for money there my pick for semi aggressive knobs
    http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/accessor...yres/1176.aspx
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    Ones that do skids
    Cheers TA and BRP, it was a laugh either way, but resisting the temptation to try again isn't easy. Can't stand letting things beat me like that.

TA thanks for the adventuring advice. I am still considering the DB as Sam (Casualty on here) keeps nagging me, but would want to get in a heap more practice over the Summer. Although applications to enter close soon right? So might not be able to. We'll just have to wait and see I guess. I'll definitely keep those routes in mind.

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Will continue to use the Perelli MT21 front until it's all gone. Got Mitas C16 rear and C17 front coming for DB1K.
    Front end traction is the one I'd worry about more for most stuff now days... DB included I suppose. Still like a good rear but more concerned about the front.

Someone (Buddha?) used the Tractionator HT available from Dirtzone in ChCh on a XR650 (1dayer) last DB1k. Wonder what he thought of that?
    both buddha and i used the tractionator on our xrs last year. not sure if they were the it or ht tho. i would recommend them. did around 1700km then sold the bike and it still had tread.

got less then 3 from c02, tkc80, just over 3 for t63 and about 5 from e09. so for the price i would get the tractionator

Bike
    3 black ones
    me and thepom are doing lees valley on saturday if anyone wants to come. probably head up the south side of waimak this time. will meet around 10.30 but will confirm with meeting place if anyone wants to come

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    me and thepom are doing lees valley on saturday if anyone wants to come. probably head up the south side of waimak this time. will meet around 10.30 but will confirm with meeting place if anyone wants to come

yer a week to early...
    Put it back a week..I'm in...
    bringing the bike down this week end..
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    DR650SE L4
    Was just thinking about posting to see if anyone wanted to go this weekend, so I'm keen was I thinking about it last Friday but it was too windy for my liking.

Thread Information