Page 61 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Sorry guys, can't make it this weekend, doing the Chatto Creek 1000 on the AT.
    Had a blast the other day. Came back through the Waimak North side. Got lost in the bush early on, but found those climbs off the road as in your vid TA. A great day and thanks for that photo Crim.
    Spot on.
    Have a drift or two on the beach Saturday.

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    I could be a starter...
    BUT.. how soft/lose is the sand/gravel...
    I have a 3/4 worn 705 on the rear of the XT..
    Really don't want to replace it till the DB1K..
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-blen View Post
    I could be a starter...
    BUT.. how soft/lose is the sand/gravel...
    I have a 3/4 worn 705 on the rear of the XT..
    Really don't want to replace it till the DB1K..
    That is a somewhat subjective question and at this stage your guess is as good as mine as this is my first time through 90% of the Leithfield to Waipara bit. How heavy is the XT in your hands?? I don't think/imagine it is as sinky as the Birdlings Flat gravels or if it is hopefully it's only very short bits like that before the stones grow in size and firm up again.
    From Waipara the rest is mostly well formed gravel you'll love with a couple of lumpy and grassy bits that should not be too much of a problem on anything. Got SkinneyBirdman on the 650 Transalp on video getting up them bits with E07's on throwing mud at me. Good view or two up top too.
    Join us at Waipara Pub if you have doubts. I'm just not sure how much time we need to get there.
    About to have a look at the (now old) 4x4 books I have to see if they have anything on the river/beach/river bit there.

edit.. they are in the 4x4 books (rivers and beach bits as well as the CCC loop roads) but not particularly helpful in describing the river and beach bits in a way that would be useful to this conversation.
    Last edited by Transalper; 27th November 2012 at 17:58. Reason: 4x4 books not particularly useful in this instance.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    It is said to take an hour to get from Pub to Pub.... once we get started so meeting at 10, guessing we'll be having a drink at the Waipara pub at 11:30 before moving on to do the Cheviot/Culverden bit. Wonder where lunch should be, early at Waipara or near 2 at Cheviot? Guess we'll play it by ear.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

Waipara River

Went in from the Amberley Golf course end earlier this year on LTZ250 Sports Quad, I recall a hell off a lot of river crossings and deep shingle. River was up and Quad started floating so turned back!

Not sure how the heavy DR650 will cope! Great on the RM250 but not so good on SH1

Might meet you at the Waipara Pub, or will risk the rivers if plenty of others able to push....
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Did the waipara from pub to beach and back on my XL250, no real issues a few loose gravel parts that take a bit of grinding through, and need to pick your river crossings in a few places depending on what the river is like. Usually there are 4wd tracks to follow, and don't forget to stop at plateau in the loop of the river with the fun hillclimb tracks.

Would like to join you, but can't see it happening at this stage....
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    XT660R / TTR250 / 2 old Montesa's
    Waipara pub at 11:30 sounds do-able...
    Think I will bail on the sinky stuff...
    Pete

90% of all Harleys built are still on the road... The other 10% made it back home...
    Ducati... Makeing riders into mechaincs since 1964...

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

CCC Route this weekend?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot011.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	273908

Is this the intended main route? Motunau, Blythe Valley, Gore Bay and into Cheviot and beyond?

Still thinking about the Leithfield / Kowai & Waipara river excursions legs....
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
    ....Is this the intended main route? Motunau, Blythe Valley, Gore Bay and into Cheviot and beyond?...
    We could do something similar to that but was thinking of skipping Gore Bay and including Random Spur Rd is a must.
    Take one .gpx from quoted post below and drop on to Google Earth..... tick all 3 boxes and the thing should load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Link to .gpx file with approximate route to be navigated in DB1k off road mode or it will fail.
    Might have to right click and save as to get the .gpx.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

CCC Ride

We could do something similar to that but was thinking of skipping Gore Bay and including Random Spur Rd is a must.
    Take one .gpx from quoted post below and drop on to Google Earth..... tick all 3 boxes and the thing should load.
    That sounds great!
    Just an idea! How about doing the river phase on the way back rather then first! That way if we get wet or drown a bike we are nearly home, rather that just starting a 250km ride?
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
    That sounds great!
    Just an idea! How about doing the river phase on the way back rather then first! That way if we get wet or drown a bike we are nearly home, rather that just starting a 250km ride?
    Could probably tie the rivers back in on the way back except I'm tacking the Cheviot, Culverden bit on to an existing plan by others I want to go with to do the rivers/beach.
    They are only doing the Rivers/beach both ways.
    Also been told by yet another party that finishing the rivers/beach at the Waipara end means you've washed the salt off the bikes by the time you get out. Exiting at the Leithfield not such a good rinse off which is why I thought of doing it going North then bailing from the return and doing the CCC to finish.
    Guess I should have kept the trips separate but since the river ride took us so close to the start of the CCC and too late now I'm not backing out of either part.
    I'm prepared for the wet feet but am not planning to drown a bike though I guess that's what the spark plug spanner is for. A drowned bike will make us late to Waipara so no body do that please.

Bike
    DR650, Valkyrie
    Could probably tie the rivers back in on the way back except I'm tacking the Cheviot, Culverden bit on to an existing plan by others I want to go with to do the rivers/beach.
    They are only doing the Rivers/beach both ways.
    Also been told by yet another party that finishing the rivers/beach at the Waipara end means you've washed the salt off the bikes by the time you get out. Exiting at the Leithfield not such a good rinse off which is why I thought of doing it going North then bailing from the return and doing the CCC to finish.
    Guess I should have kept the trips separate but since the river ride took us so close to the start of the CCC and too late now I'm not backing out of either part.
    I'm prepared for the wet feet but am not planning to drown a bike though I guess that's what the spark plug spanner is for. A drowned bike will make us late to Waipara so no body do that please.
    I so wish i had a free day to join this ride. Amberley beach to the Waipara pub is a great ride I have done a few times. Last time I dislocated shoulder when the XR decide to misbehave. Was an interesting ride out.

That was a few years ago but If I recall correctly the beach section between Amberley and the river could be rode either high on the soft shingle - or low, depending on the tide, on packed shingle, either way you weren't far away from the firm stuff off the beach and with a group shouldnt be a problem for most bikes.

Once into the river its a wet ride with lots of river crossings, but mostly short crossings. More to worry about going through Lees valley with the Okuku river (depending on the level of the Waipara of course)

This leg would be a great way to start the day. Wish I could make it, have a great ride.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by bushy View Post
    This leg would be a great way to start the day. Wish I could make it, have a great ride.
    That's good, was getting a bit nervous about it, especially with no guide since he now has to work. Pity no one else who has done it is joining us so far.
    Couple of videos on youtube make it look like a typical riverbed with a mix of gravels and water. Think the 4x4's are further inland/upstream on the Waipara.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6ejmDn0_o&feature=related
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPnvLplGAgg
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmojwMt9IaA&feature=plcp

I'm going to have to bring a camera just for that bit.

Bike
    DR650, Valkyrie
    That's good, was getting a bit nervous about it, especially with no guide since he now has to work. Pity no one else who has done it is joining us so far.
    Couple of videos on youtube make it look like a typical riverbed with a mix of gravels and water.

1st vid on beach is what it is, easy near the surf. 2nd vid on river bed is also typical of ride to Waipara up river.

Once into the river bed just follow the fairly well worn tracks. You cannot (shouldn't) get lost!! there are a couple of table top plataeu sort of areas to have a bit of fun on, the first one can dislocate your shoulder, the one mid way through has a nice wee hill climb challenge if you dare, other than that just follow the river and enjoy the refreshment at the pub.

envious....not!!

Bike
    DR650SE L4
    Couple of videos on youtube make it look like a typical riverbed with a mix of gravels and water. Think the 4x4's are further inland/upstream on the Waipara.

Watching the first clip I'm thinking no way would the DR be able to handle that with me on it, the second clip with the 4wd's looks less painful.
    Also I would rather get the harder stuff done at the start of the ride, last year's CCC loop was about 350k's so it was along day.
    I guess we will see how it goes on the day.

Thread Information