Page 39 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    .... most likely doing Dalethorpe trail ride on 19th Aug...it's my favourite with forest, rivers, hill climbs and even some bog...all the good stuff
    Hope to see you there
    What tyres do you run for this one?
    I only have the stock tyres (Trailwing TW301/302) on the thing at this time, my spares are second hand 17" rears that will not fit the WR and a Mitas E09 Dakar Front that should fit but I don't think of that as being a trail ride tyre, though it may be better than the current one on front.

I owe both Phil and Linton $$$ each at the moment so unlikely to be getting new tyres for a couple of months.
    Also desperately needs lower gearing for single track and climbs and I'd prefer to add 4 teeth to the rear than go drop to a 12T front but may have to add links to the chain. All more expense.
    Wee bit of a bummer, I'd like to say sure thing, but doubtful I'll make it so soon.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Suns out, well it's not raining any how, tempted to finish off the current tank of gas with a bit of a ride out over Dyers Pass, through Diamond Harbour, Pigeon Bay and back via Western Valley after work today.
    I'd hit the road about 4pm. Anyone else interested?
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    dr650
    Probably a bit late to reply, as you would have already left, but western valley road was closed on Sunday, not sure why, people had been driving around the road closed signs. Went around to pigeon bay instead, and back to chch from little river via the tarmac.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Actually still here. Bit stuffed from a busy afternoon so while still half tempted I accidentally sat down with a milo in front of the PC and haven't moved since.
    Might do some video editing shortly instead.

If anyone is keen to get out in the late afternoons/evenings during the week I could be tempted again... even more when daylight savings kicks in about 30 September on. Used to do some of the WNR road rides but could be interested in adventuring out instead.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

I am keen for a ride this week

Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Actually still here. Bit stuffed from a busy afternoon so while still half tempted I accidentally sat down with a milo in front of the PC and haven't moved since.
    Might do some video editing shortly instead.

If anyone is keen to get out in the late afternoons/evenings during the week I could be tempted again... even more when daylight savings kicks in about 30 September on. Used to do some of the WNR road rides but could be interested in adventuring out instead.
    I am available this week weather permitting!
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

Dalethorpe

Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    Only 85km to go with the running in, I predict plenty of action (probably only about half of it will be posted on this thread) in the coming months.

Hey Carl,
    Ryan and myself most likely doing Dalethorpe trail ride on 19th Aug if u are keen to try out the new WR.
    Of all the trailrides I've done it's my favourite with forest, rivers, hill climbs and even some bog...all the good stuff
    Hope to see you there[/QUOTE]

Hi Matt, I haven't done this ride before, would it be suitable for my LTZ250 Sport Quad, otherwise I will take the RM250!
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
    Hey Carl,
    Ryan and myself most likely doing Dalethorpe trail ride on 19th Aug if u are keen to try out the new WR.
    Of all the trailrides I've done it's my favourite with forest, rivers, hill climbs and even some bog...all the good stuff
    Hope to see you there
    Hi Matt, I haven't done this ride before, would it be suitable for my LTZ250 Sport Quad, otherwise I will take the RM250![/QUOTE]

Hey Steve,
    It is suitable for quads bar the challenge sections, mostly tight forest roads/tracks and open river flats with a few shallow crossings.
    Don't remember any tight bits or steep hillclimbs, Last time there were lots of quads there
    Hope to see u there, look out for me on the XR650
    Rgds
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    [QUOTE=Transalper;1130371005]What tyres do you run for this one?
    I only have the stock tyres (Trailwing TW301/302) on the thing at this time, my spares are second hand 17" rears that will not fit the WR and a Mitas E09 Dakar Front that should fit but I don't think of that as being a trail ride tyre, though it may be better than the current one on front.

I just run the cheapest tyres I can find, Budget have some cheap $90-$100 rears from time to time, I find it more important to have a decent front on to avoid the dreaded washout! I'm sure if you took it easy you would manage on the Trailwings, after all you are only riding a light weight 250!
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    You fellas need to need to learn some geek. Don't remove the QUOTE=XXXX . . . . /QUOTE tags (with the square brackets []) else gets a bit hard to read the thread.

Speaking of tyres - does anybody in Chch have a knobbie knife I could try out? Got about 5 tyres with 70% deep tread but rounded knobs in the shed I'd like to revive. I don't do enough KM's in adventure mode to finish them all off which was the original plan. I would like to try before I buy as heard plenty of bad stories about knobby knifes.

Other option is to give them a tickle with the angle grinder. Hopefully no holes but will probably make the neighbourhood a little smelly for a while.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Agent Orange
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Speaking of tyres - does anybody in Chch have a knobbie knife I could try out? Got about 5 tyres with 70% deep tread but rounded knobs in the shed I'd like to revive. I don't do enough KM's in adventure mode to finish them all off which was the original plan. I would like to try before I buy as heard plenty of bad stories about knobby knifes.

Other option is to give them a tickle with the angle grinder. Hopefully no holes but will probably make the neighbourhood a little smelly for a while.

Cheers R
    Hey R, don't have one in CHC for ya, but I do know the genuine Knobbyknife works a treat, the vital component is a good 100 watt heating element. Apparently the Tread Doctor brand ones are ok too. The cheaper after market copies are only around 75watts and cut/melt rubber a lot slower.
    I have sharpened knobs up with a serrated bread knife before, hand held, not electric. The serrated blade seems to stop it gripping on rubber. Budget yes, but it works.
    Don't bother with angle grinder, you won't be popular with neighbours, one knob is enough to smoke them out, let alone 50!
    I often cut worn tyres in half through the wire bead to chuck them out in my wheelie bin, and just getting through the bead smokes up a storm.

Bike
    2009 Suzuki DR650SE

Tyre Knife

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    Hey R, don't have one in CHC for ya, but I do know the genuine Knobbyknife works a treat, the vital component is a good 100 watt heating element. The cheaper after market copies are only around 75watts and cut/melt rubber a lot slower.
    I have sharpened knobs up with a serrated bread knife before, hand held, not electric. The serrated blade seems to stop it gripping on rubber. Budget yes, but it works.
    Don't bother with angle grinder, you won't be popular with neighbours, one knob is enough to smoke them out, let alone 50!
    I often cut worn tyres in half through the wire bead to chuck them out in my wheelie bin, and just getting through the bead smokes up a storm.
    The good guys at Dirt Xtreme in Marshlands Road have one!
    Don't dream it - Be it!

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFrog View Post
    .......Don't bother with angle grinder, you won't be popular with neighbours, one knob is enough to smoke them out, let alone 50!
    Who said I like my neighbours?

Thanks for the info re how well they work.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Wonder how well one of those vibratory cutty things on tv would work?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Would have thought no so good on rubber unless it's quite hard.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Would have thought no so good on rubber unless it's quite hard.
    Yeah, from the ads where you can hold the blade, that was my thinking also.

Still tempted to try though. Except the TT is wearing trials shoes. Not known for the hardness of the treads...

Thread Information