Page 1 of 111 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1652

Thread: XR650r owners' thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443

    XR650r owners' thread

    my xr arrived yesterday so its time to start shopping round for some extras. there doesnt seem to be a xr thread like the dr650 one so id better make a start

    key ignition, pack rack and bark busters are first on my list . it has been set up pretty well so dont need to worry about decorking it or getting a larger tank

    has anyone got any suggestions for the ignition and pack rack

  2. #2
    Join Date
    8th November 2007 - 13:05
    Bike
    Gen 5 VFR800
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    736
    Yeah great idea - XR600's included of course?...turn back the yellow tide...

    Big Red Pigs forever !!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    of course

    hopefully i can change the title to xr owners thread

    found the answer to my lack of ignition problem - just have to make a choice now
    1 - key ignition switch . looks simple to install for $150nz
    2- trail tech vapur computer with ignition. lots of features but a bit more complicated to install. $340 nz

    probably have to go the cheaper way

    both are from america - cant seem to find anything here or from oz

  4. #4
    Join Date
    30th November 2005 - 18:27
    Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,766
    I'm glade you have included 600's. A couple of weeks ago I brought my third 600 (I should never sold the other two). It was too cheap to not buy it and has been 630 kitted, the downside is its a RE twin carb model. Unfortuatly I probally wont be joining you on Adventure rides but aim to trail ride and motard the thing.


    Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    8th November 2007 - 13:05
    Bike
    Gen 5 VFR800
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    of course

    hopefully i can change the title to xr owners thread

    found the answer to my lack of ignition problem - just have to make a choice now
    1 - key ignition switch . looks simple to install for $150nz
    2- trail tech vapur computer with ignition. lots of features but a bit more complicated to install. $340 nz

    probably have to go the cheaper way

    both are from america - cant seem to find anything here or from oz
    I got a Trail Tech Vapor for my old bike from this guy in Auckland http://vm.net.nz/xtremewholesale/cat...3&customlist=1. He's got lots of good stuff he imports.

    I haven't got a key ignition, just have a Xena alarmed disc lock - cost about $70, probably more secure than an ignition key.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    i should get one of those disc locks as well but i t brings back bad memories of when i ws 15 with my new bike at school.....

    the key ignition wont be very secure but just another thing to slow down a thief and to give me piece of mind when i park it up

    might have to add a dummy by the speedo as the one i have ordered fits on the radiator behind the tank shroud

  7. #7
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    im thinking of ordering this rack for about $230

    only really looking at something to hold sleeping bag and tent so dont need anything too flash or expensive. this will come in handy for lifting the bike out of bogs as well so wont need to get one of those tugger straps

    anyone got one of these or can suggest something else
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    Join Date
    8th November 2007 - 13:05
    Bike
    Gen 5 VFR800
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    im thinking of ordering this rack for about $230

    only really looking at something to hold sleeping bag and tent so dont need anything too flash or expensive. this will come in handy for lifting the bike out of bogs as well so wont need to get one of those tugger straps

    anyone got one of these or can suggest something else
    Mines got some bits welded on to take a ventura rack - see http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...t=83420&page=4

    The ventura racks are quite cheap and you can get the grab bar, high rack or low rack and interchange them depending on the situation. Probably get the whole set for not much more than $230 (rack alone for mine was $69 - already had the brackets and grab rail on the bike). Cheers

  9. #9
    Join Date
    30th March 2008 - 18:31
    Bike
    KTM690R - KLX 450R
    Location
    The Mighty Waikato
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    .................. so wont need to get one of those tugger straps
    Talk about leaving yourself wide open .......................


    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post

    The ventura racks are quite cheap and you can get the grab bar, high rack or low rack and interchange them depending on the situation. Probably get the whole set for not much more than $230 (rack alone for mine was $69 - already had the brackets and grab rail on the bike). Cheers
    Cycle treads in Auck will do you a Ventura kit with 2 different size racks with mounting brackets and a pack for $299.00
    Here for a good time, not necessarily a long time

  10. #10
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    emailed ventura and they havent got any brackets for my model in stock so there is a 4 week manufacturing wait. tried cycletreads as well just in case tho


    might add one of those tool bags like in your pic CRM

  11. #11
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTOXNUT View Post
    Talk about leaving yourself wide open .......................

    doh - they could have chosen a better name

    thetugger.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    8th November 2007 - 13:05
    Bike
    Gen 5 VFR800
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    736

    Wots happened to the XR boys?

    Not a lot of action on this thread so thought I'd put a nice pic or two...



    Little ride we did on Saturday - Kaiikanui Rd North-East of Whangarei



    Real nice twisty gravel road out to Mimiwhangata peninsula



    Awesome views of the coast (a bit overcast though)



    A neat bit of coast. Did the loop out around Helena Bay then down the seal a bit and back onto Pigs Head Road and home. The East Coast is a bit tame for getting off the road (all fenced up) but the gravel was good and the scenery was stunning. We'll head out the West Coast next weekend maybe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    7th February 2007 - 23:38
    Bike
    F800GS
    Location
    My place
    Posts
    3,285
    Had a ride up the Maungatapu with cynna the other day, nice looking ride he got himself. All it needs is a beterer seat and lecky start.
    I know he took a couple of pics, maybe he'll stick em on here.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    9th September 2006 - 21:40
    Bike
    3 black ones
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    1,443
    how big is your tank CRM - looks massive. mine has only got a 16 litre on which doesnt get to 200km before i hit reserve

    just done a few hundred km from chch to nelson via rainbow and lolesworth roads. lost a coule of bolts, fuel vent pipe and my inner rear guard came loose on my ride with JATZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    Join Date
    8th November 2007 - 13:05
    Bike
    Gen 5 VFR800
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by cynna View Post
    how big is your tank CRM - looks massive. mine has only got a 16 litre on which doesnt get to 200km before i hit reserve

    just done a few hundred km from chch to nelson via rainbow and lolesworth roads. lost a coule of bolts, fuel vent pipe and my inner rear guard came loose on my ride with JATZ
    22 litre I think. My original tank did about 170 to reserve. Never got to reserve on this one yet! I think it will do about 300km. Love the pics by the way. My aim is to get down there on the XR one of these days and do some of those roads I hear so much about.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •