Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Road Rash Queen: Brittany Morrow

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1

Dealing with road rash

Some of you might know me on here, as a motorcycle Instructor in Auckland. Before I started teaching (and now), I work as an operating theatre nurse.. Seeing Motorcycle injuries, in particular, road rash, come into the theatre, is what prompted me to try to prevent other people going through the same thing....
    When someone with Road rash comes in to theatre, we give them a General Anaesthetic, then we would take some scrubbing brushes, and scrub the wounds clean of gravel..This can take some time, and it isn't very pleasant for us nurses, but its SSSOO painful for the patient, but there isn't many other ways to effectively scrub out the stones, bits of glass etc, etc..
    Then, if they survive, may end up having years of skin grafts to cover the bits where the road rash was...
    The worst injury I ever saw, was a guy who degloved his entire scrotum, and up as far as his belly button, and down his thighs, as it got caught on handle bars, as he somersaulted over the bike wearing jeans (pillion killed).. He was left with two testes hanging on their vas.. He would never be a father.. He was 20 at the time..

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    Hey, if you wanna get on a bike in a singlet, shorts and flip-flops like she did, it's no skin off my back.
    Well it is. Its part of what drives ACC up. Which we pay in the rego. The skin ward at Middlemore is the most expensive ward to be on per night. Skin damage patients need very high care.

Riding a motorcycle sounds like it's pretty dangerous. If it's so likely to cause life changing injury, why do you do it? If I knew I'd end up like that I wouldn't bother.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia1000 View Post
    Some of you might know me on here, as a motorcycle Instructor in Auckland. Before I started teaching (and now), I work as an operating theatre nurse.. Seeing Motorcycle injuries, in particular, road rash, come into the theatre, is what prompted me to try to prevent other people going through the same thing....
    When someone with Road rash comes in to theatre, we give them a General Anaesthetic, then we would take some scrubbing brushes, and scrub the wounds clean of gravel..This can take some time, and it isn't very pleasant for us nurses, but its SSSOO painful for the patient, but there isn't many other ways to effectively scrub out the stones, bits of glass etc, etc..
    Then, if they survive, may end up having years of skin grafts to cover the bits where the road rash was...
    The worst injury I ever saw, was a guy who degloved his entire scrotum, and up as far as his belly button, and down his thighs, as it got caught on handle bars, as he somersaulted over the bike wearing jeans (pillion killed).. He was left with two testes hanging on their vas.. He would never be a father.. He was 20 at the time..

Tricia1000
    RoADA (Dip)
    Consultant to NZTA
    In the 80s I developed a large gravel rash on my back and head. Fell off a push bike avoiding a multi car. Nowhere near the level of miss Morrow.

They dunked a towel in salt water put it over my wounds. Scrubbed our the stones with a laundry brush. Then replaced the towel with one dipped in alcohol.

I guess my rash wasn't that bad. No drugs. No after care. No dressing. Told not to wear a shirt for a few days.

I need a pretty good tan before you can see the scars.

Stupid phone / Tapatalk, apologies in advance.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Well it is. Its part of what drives ACC up.
    Do you have some proof of that or are you just making assumptions?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Thread Information