Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Timer on hot water cylinder?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post
    We have a lot of people in the household. I think instant hot water with gas would suit small users better.
    My experience in a house which had an infinity type (instant gas) hot water supply was that it never ran out, regardless of the length of time of showers.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i am sure your power company can provide you withthe hardware necesary to provide you the cheapest possible power for your hot water cylinder.If you can feel the cylinder is actually warm then an extra layer of insulation will definetly help to minimize that loss.If you can feel its warm thats lost heat.Put a cylinder wrap and ask your power company for the plan you want.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Have you investigated the heat-pump type HWCs? I'm guessing that they use the heat pump to initially warm the water and then an element to raise the water temp to its final setting.
    No, I think they keep cycling the heat pump until the temp. is reached, and maintained. They are hella 'spensive though, you'd need to be heating a metric shit ton of water to ever get a return on your investment. Still a good idea though, and I'd love to have one.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    My first electricity bill in my present house was $489 and we were freezing cold.

Four years later, my bill for the same time of year is $265 and we are now comfortale 24 x 7.

Fitting a timer on the hot water cylinder and electric towel rails was a good start towards saving money. I recon it saved around $40-$50 per month. I already had them, so they cost me nothing and I simply wired them into the existing switch.

Turning off the Spa Pool heater, which the previous owners left on, helped too

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    before you make the change trial the 11pm to 7am heating to make sure it fits your household requirement, as a number of ppl who wish to change to nite heating for hot water realise it may not suit .. there may also be a nite boost meter that also comes on between approx 1 -4pm to boost the cylinder for evening showers etc

with day/night metering the day rate is quite high so ensure you also set dishwashers & other house hold appliance to come on after 11pm or before 7am as you auto change to that nite rate (day rate comes on at 7am)

depending on your meter board, current meter set up, and whats available via your network you may be able to have a seperate nite meter or nite boost to soley run the cylinder.

definitely have a chat to your power co & see whats available, and find out cost to either change your meter set up or add another meter & see if its viable. also do not forget to ask if there is a change to your daily line charge as well

what is your current meter set up (on the back page of your bill)
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    We have a lot of people in the household. I think instant hot water with gas would suit small users better.
    lol just the opposite, instant esp with the infinity system and continous, with the elect hot water system the hot water being used is constantly being filled with cold once it reaches a certain temp it would come on & reheat

also 45 is far to low a temp it should be as Virago stated

if you have a large household I am not sure that nite only heating would be sufficient & highly recommend trialling it for at least a week before making those changes
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Have you investigated the heat-pump type HWCs? I'm guessing that they use the heat pump to initially warm the water and then an element to raise the water temp to its final setting.
    They are even more expensive than solar water heats (I think the price was $8k). There is no way they would save $8k in power, so they are not worthwhile in my case.

My experience in a house which had an infinity type (instant gas) hot water supply was that it never ran out, regardless of the length of time of showers.
    The problem is that they use a lot of energy to do the heating. If you have a small number of users they work out great. If you have a lot of users they work out to be much more expensive.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that they use a lot of energy to do the heating. If you have a small number of users they work out great. If you have a lot of users they work out to be much more expensive.
    No. The energy required to heat a litre of water is a constant. It doesn't matter where that energy comes from; electricity, gas, solar, geothermal, whatever. All that differs is the cost of that energy, and the efficiency with which it can be stored and transferred to the water.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    No. The energy required to heat a litre of water is a constant. It doesn't matter where that energy comes from; electricity, gas, solar, geothermal, whatever. All that differs is the cost of that energy, and the efficiency with which it can be stored and transferred to the water.
    Most energy systems have a concept of paying for peak demand. So if you use 300J of energy in 30s you pay more than if you use 300J in 8 hours.

Thread Information