Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for comments on this route

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FJR

Looking for comments on this route

Working on our routes for the trip in April. We have 8 days of biking starting and ending at Christchurch. Just doing the South Island.

Appreciate anyone reviewing the following route and giving some comments.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...00ae7b3ef4&z=6

A couple of specific questions on:
    1) Are there any of these stretches where fuel is going to be an issue.
    2) Are any of these roads a bad idea on a motorcycle in April.
    3) Is the run in and out of Milford Sound as good as it looks on Google Earth.
    4) Staying on the coast most of the time are we missing some more inland sites that we should be seeing.
    5) Planning on staying in each of the areas mentioned below, but have no idea what's there besides Google Earth so any recommendations would be great.
    6) Planning on making reservations for places to stay. In the US, we typically wing it but from what I can see, doing that in NZ may leave us sleeping under our bikes.
    7) Shoudl we be looking at coming back across the island on hiway #7 or cover the North part of the island as I currently have planned.

Our typically trips here in Canada are around 800 to 1,000 km per day. But that's usually around 110-130 km speed. So my targets for daily travels are 200-300 km between locations and still having time to take short trips around the various locations. In Canada and the US we pretty much have to go this far in a day to get to the places we want to go.

Day 1: Christchutch to Dunedin - Pretty much on the main road, don't see other real way to make that run.
    Day 2: Dunedin to Invercargill - Taking the rural road by Catlin lake. Saw someone mentions the Catlins which I'm assuming is this run.
    Day 3: Invercargill along the coast then North to Te Anau and then to Milford Sound and back in the same day.
    Day 4: Te Anau to Wanaka - Only about 200 km. Is this too short of run on this road or should I possibly combine what I have in Day 4 and Day 5 and spend a day elsewhere?
    Day 5: Wanaka to Franz Joseph Glacier or somewhere along the west coast.
    Day 6: Franz Joseph to West Port
    Day 7: West Port to Picton
    Day 8: Picton to Christchurch

Thanks all. When we get closer to the trip, I'll post up more specifics and hopefully we'll be able to catch up, meet and ride with some of you folks.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    Working on our routes for the trip in April. We have 8 days of biking starting and ending at Christchurch. Just doing the South Island.

Appreciate anyone reviewing the following route and giving some comments.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...00ae7b3ef4&z=6

A couple of specific questions on:
    1) Are there any of these stretches where fuel is going to be an issue.
    2) Are any of these roads a bad idea on a motorcycle in April.
    3) Is the run in and out of Milford Sound as good as it looks on Google Earth.
    4) Staying on the coast most of the time are we missing some more inland sites that we should be seeing.
    5) Planning on staying in each of the areas mentioned below, but have no idea what's there besides Google Earth so any recommendations would be great.
    6) Planning on making reservations for places to stay. In the US, we typically wing it but from what I can see, doing that in NZ may leave us sleeping under our bikes.
    7) Shoudl we be looking at coming back across the island on hiway #7 or cover the North part of the island as I currently have planned.

Our typically trips here in Canada are around 800 to 1,000 km per day. But that's usually around 110-130 km speed. So my targets for daily travels are 200-300 km between locations and still having time to take short trips around the various locations. In Canada and the US we pretty much have to go this far in a day to get to the places we want to go.

Day 1: Christchutch to Dunedin - Pretty much on the main road, don't see other real way to make that run.
    Day 2: Dunedin to Invercargill - Taking the rural road by Catlin lake. Saw someone mentions the Catlins which I'm assuming is this run.
    Day 3: Invercargill along the coast then North to Te Anau and then to Milford Sound and back in the same day.
    Day 4: Te Anau to Wanaka - Only about 200 km. Is this too short of run on this road or should I possibly combine what I have in Day 4 and Day 5 and spend a day elsewhere?
    Day 5: Wanaka to Franz Joseph Glacier or somewhere along the west coast.
    Day 6: Franz Joseph to West Port
    Day 7: West Port to Picton
    Day 8: Picton to Christchurch

Thanks all. When we get closer to the trip, I'll post up more specifics and hopefully we'll be able to catch up, meet and ride with some of you folks.
    1) Only the area around Haast (not really anything either side for a good distance), depending on your gas range. There is no fuel in Milford Sound, so you have to fill in Te Anau. Total round trip is approx 220km.
    2) April, summer is ending, but it isn't winter yet, so ice/snow shouldn't be a problem. SH1 down the east coast, obey the speed limits, its very much a cops playground.
    3) Yes. Pray it isn't raining. Still beautiful, but road is more challenging.
    4) Lake Tekapo is beautiful, I reckon that every part of the island has choice bits in it... so sorta got to see it all (just come back for more visits aye?)
    5) What sort of accommodation do you want. I use backpackers, others prefer more fancy places?
    6) Tourist season is ending, so it should be a lot easier to find accommodation. That said, I would still plan as it gives certainty for accommodation each night. Easier when arriving in town etc.
    7) The Buller Gorge (SH6) is an absolute must do. You can turn south before Murchison if you wanted, but if you carry on to Nelson, you can head NW to Takaka, which takes you over Takaka Hill. Queen Charlotte Drive between Nelson and Picton is also very beautiful.

Day 1: Pretty boring stretch, there are some alternative, but may be complicated? The whole area is pretty flat and amazingly (read mind numbingly) straight. About 350km ish.
    Day 2: Correct, thats the Catlins, and a lovely stretch with great views. About 200km ish.
    Day 3: 180km ish to Te Anau, so all in all, about 400km for the day. Very nice riding. For extra, stop in at Manapouri.
    Day 4: You could also ride out to Treble Cone, which was where some of the Lord of the Rings was filmed. Otherwise, use the extra day further north (see below, Karamea).
    Day 5: Beautiful. 'nuff said.
    Day 6: Up the coast. Punakaiki (pancake rocks) is a nice stop. North of Westport (100km up the road ish) is Karamea. Its a dead end, but a fantastic run, with some really nice roads through mountains.
    Day 7: Enjoy the Buller Gorge. Consider heading to Nelson to go to Takaka, as mentioned above. Queen Charlotte Drive is also a good look from Havelock to Picton.
    Day 8: Pretty damn boring. Spice it up a bit by turning right as you head out of Kaikoura and take Inland Rd through Waiau. A much more fun alternative.

Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    dr650
    Inland road from kaikoura to culverden is an alternative if you like having the road to yourselves. A tekapo loop from geraldine through tekapo, twizel, omarama and back to the coast is definately worth it (there isnt much to see in timaru). Otherwise its been answered well above.

Bike
    1994 Yamaha Zeal
    I can't add much to what you have posted but going from Christchurch to Dunedin is a pretty boring piece of road, especially from Chch to around Oamaru. There is an inland route but you would be adding quite a few km's to your route.

How about this, just an idea anyhoo:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...09&ie=UTF8&z=7
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    I'd rather eat cat shit with a knitting needle than go to Green Day

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    F M S

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I reckon that missing out on the " pig route " through central Otago on the way south would be a little sad...could take a day but you would be seeing a bit of the SI that is completely different and historically different and meeting some of the coolest people alive on the planet..if you ever actually run across anyone at all...no Im not from down there...just means hanging a right at Palmerston a few ks nth of Dunedin and doing a loop through some fantastic hills and twisty bits up to the Maniototo plateau and onto Alex and back down to Milton...misses Dunedin but hey, Im not from there either...at the end of SH 75 out of Chch is a little town called Akaroa...its fairly meaningless but the road/highway to get there is probably one of the coolest rides anywhere...yes, I am from that area...

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FJR

Red face

Thanks guys, I adjusted my route as follows and I think I've included every recommendation that you guys gave me.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...8,3.106384&z=9

Bike
    dr650
    Quote Originally Posted by maddad View Post
    Thanks guys, I adjusted my route as follows and I think I've included every recommendation that you guys gave me.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&...8,3.106384&z=9
    Looks good a lot better than following the main highway

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...thats getting closer to a varied and off SH1 trip...happy trails...keep us in touch with your travels...

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FJR
    Another question for you...

Arriving in Christchurch before noon and going to catch some sleep after about 30 hours in planes and airports. But hopefully will be able to pick up the bikes at 5PM.

The only recommendations we couldn't fit in is the run out to Akaroa. During the 1st week of April is this a run that can be done after 5 PM and not get caught in the dark. And form the sound of this run, probably wouldn't be hard to get some people to show us the way.

Have heard we don't want to be on bikes at night due to animals. But then again, you haven't seen one of our moose.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Day 4. You can include a run up to Glenorchy ... you WONT regret it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    you need to do Lindis, and crown range and, ... and... and...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    you need to do Lindis, and crown range and, ... and... and...
    He'll be back ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    He'll be back ...
    I'm sure they wouldn't be the first to just not leave.

It is almost starting to look like a route worth using myself.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Heaps of great roads that you are still missing out on, but to them all would require a month in the South Island. Even as it is you have some pretty big days in that route..

I would agree with FJRider to include the side trip from Queenstown up to Glenorchy rather than looking at Treble Cone.
    Time to ride

Thread Information