Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Possibly heading over to NZ to live. A few questions

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    sorry, New Zealand is full, try Australia.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,+10

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Hey folks quick question.

The advertised price of used and new vehicles cars and bikes on trademe etc... does that include all the taxes and WOF?

Are you guys charged tax on used vehicles? Is that included in the price advertised.
    the wof is theoretically only 28 days old max when a used vehicle is sold (a requirement for a vehicle dealer) but most private sales will have a current wof unless the ad says other wise,there are no taxes between individuals and any dealer prices will include gst but most dealer will add on road costs if the bike has not been registered in nz before.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    .... I could probably blow it up better than I could build it. Just kidding.
    More than a few here with those abilities ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Road kill View Post
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,+10
    Are you and Gordon scheming against me already? I'd hate to see what would happen if Canada miraculously beat the All Blacks.

BMWST - thanks for that. That is good news with regards to the private sale GST. Here when you register the new owner of a used vehicle with the province, the government charges you GST after the fact.

Bike
    90 FZR600
    So I have been reading about importing bikes from the US etc. I have a few questions.

As far as something they don't like such as headlights, brakes etc... is that a problem when importing it or just when getting the WOF done? So right now I have a track ready 2003 CBR600RR.

The engine is all stock, the wheels are stock the body work is patched up OEM, but it has:
    - Braided lines
    - Aftermarket rear shock
    - Aftermarket slip-on
    - No lights
    - clip-ons
    but
    - I do have lights and indicators (OEM) and OEM brake lines etc that are OFF the bike. Also anyone have ANY IDEA if a 2003 CBR600RR would need new lights?

So if I have proof of ownership and but it is not street ready for New Zealand will customs give me grief? Or can I import the bike then if I decide to put it on the road, I can take the necessary steps to do so, in order to comply with the WOF?

Another question - anyone have experience in terms of how expensive it is to change a car from left hand drive to right hand drive and who I could contact in NZ, that would know?

Sorry but I have a few other questions if you guys/gals don't mind helping me with:
    Insurance - so it is optional down there, but typically if one has full coverage what are you running for on:
    - Motorcycle 600cc supersport not living in Auckland area (not sure if that matters)
    - Car like a Mazda 3
    - How easy is it to get a family doctor (certain places in Canada it can be very hard)
    - Do most family doctors take care of kids too, or do you need to find a pediatrician as well?
    - Being that it is a state run system, are there any out of pocket expenses for medical needs? Do you need private insurance like the US or not?
    Thanks!
    I am in your shoes and have gotton a ton of answer from the ENZ forum

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    So I have been reading about importing bikes from the US etc. I have a few questions.

As far as something they don't like such as headlights, brakes etc... is that a problem when importing it or just when getting the WOF done? So right now I have a track ready 2003 CBR600RR.

The engine is all stock, the wheels are stock the body work is patched up OEM, but it has:
    - Braided lines
    - Aftermarket rear shock
    - Aftermarket slip-on
    - No lights
    - clip-ons
    but
    - I do have lights and indicators (OEM) and OEM brake lines etc that are OFF the bike. Also anyone have ANY IDEA if a 2003 CBR600RR would need new lights?

So if I have proof of ownership and but it is not street ready for New Zealand will customs give me grief? Or can I import the bike then if I decide to put it on the road, I can take the necessary steps to do so, in order to comply with the WOF?

Another question - anyone have experience in terms of how expensive it is to change a car from left hand drive to right hand drive and who I could contact in NZ, that would know?

Sorry but I have a few other questions if you guys/gals don't mind helping me with:
    Insurance - so it is optional down there, but typically if one has full coverage what are you running for on:
    - Motorcycle 600cc supersport not living in Auckland area (not sure if that matters)
    - Car like a Mazda 3
    - How easy is it to get a family doctor (certain places in Canada it can be very hard)
    - Do most family doctors take care of kids too, or do you need to find a pediatrician as well?
    - Being that it is a state run system, are there any out of pocket expenses for medical needs? Do you need private insurance like the US or not?
    Thanks!
    In regards to RHD conversion, "turnkey" starts at 15-20k and thats for a vehicle that has the RHD parts available (ie nothing custom). Google NZ for Bunce Motor Company , good place to start (they do mainly Pickups, but I do see cars there as well).
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    2008 R6
    Ya I did some research back when I started this thread and contacted Bunce.... they won't touch my little car. There is no point really. Basically for someone with just a run of the mill hatch there are really only 2 options:

- Bring it in and drive it LHD.
    - Leave it behind.

I think we'll be leaving it.

Bike
    2008 R6
    So anyway... we got through the first part of the immigration stage, got the police checks done, got the bike all pristine looking to pass the MAF inspection.... all we had to do was submit all the necessary documents to the office in London. I was looking for work and to be honest, I wasn't happy with what I was finding.... or at least the interest from the companies just wasn't there unless I was already in NZ, which I can kind of understand.

Then.... I get a GREAT opportunity in Western Canada and we decide to do that, put everything in motion to move to western Canada... place to stay... moving container.... and about a week and a half before we decide to leave.. I get a call from a company in NZ offering me a job, good pay, willing to pay for 1/2 the relocation cost.... etc etc. sunofab!tch I say!

Anyhoo - the family and I decided to go the western Canadian route for now. Love your country, but the timing was a touch off. If I had that job offer 2 weeks sooner, I'd probably be there by now. BTW, I am jealous of your summer right now.... and well.... your winter is pretty nice too. I hope you guys don't mind me popping in now and then.

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    So anyway... we got through the first part of the immigration stage, got the police checks done, got the bike all pristine looking to pass the MAF inspection.... all we had to do was submit all the necessary documents to the office in London. I was looking for work and to be honest, I wasn't happy with what I was finding.... or at least the interest from the companies just wasn't there unless I was already in NZ, which I can kind of understand.

Then.... I get a GREAT opportunity in Western Canada and we decide to do that, put everything in motion to move to western Canada... place to stay... moving container.... and about a week and a half before we decide to leave.. I get a call from a company in NZ offering me a job, good pay, willing to pay for 1/2 the relocation cost.... etc etc. sunofab!tch I say!

Anyhoo - the family and I decided to go the western Canadian route for now. Love your country, but the timing was a touch off. If I had that job offer 2 weeks sooner, I'd probably be there by now. BTW, I am jealous of your summer right now.... and well.... your winter is pretty nice too. I hope you guys don't mind me popping in now and then.
    To that I say LAAAAAAAME!

Bike
    2008 R6
    Lame? Hey when you have to move yourself, your wife, 2 kids under the age of 2, the dog, a 1/2 container (or a partial, but then having to buy a ton of stuff there), need to pay a couple of grand to NZ immigration, don't have a job lined up, don't know where you are going to find work, need to put the dog in quarantine, need to get a new vehicle there..... it all ads up. Then I got a fantastic opportunity, which was a few thousand kilometers away, but still in Canada... so not exactly an easy move either, but much easier than going to the other side of the world... we get everything rolling for that, and well the NZ offer came in a bit late.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    You most likely made the right decision. That is typical of the behaviour of NZ business and bureaucracy: Faff about interminably without letting anybody know what's going on, then make a decision too late to take advantage of the benefits that they had based their decision on, and then usually they moan to anyone who will listen how they had their time wasted.

Good luck with the new job in the new home.
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    Yamaha FJR1300
    Lame? Hey when you have to move yourself, your wife, 2 kids under the age of 2, the dog, a 1/2 container (or a partial, but then having to buy a ton of stuff there), need to pay a couple of grand to NZ immigration, don't have a job lined up, don't know where you are going to find work, need to put the dog in quarantine, need to get a new vehicle there..... it all ads up. Then I got a fantastic opportunity, which was a few thousand kilometers away, but still in Canada... so not exactly an easy move either, but much easier than going to the other side of the world... we get everything rolling for that, and well the NZ offer came in a bit late.
    That's ok Meta, you made right choice. NZ really nice to visit, Canada better to live in.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Iraq -> might make a lot of money... might get killed... no thanks.

I might just keep the CBR as a track only bike.... anyone know about the import bit though... can I at least bring it into the country if I don't have it all sorted out (headlights etc)? I know it has to be clean.
    I would imagine the rules are the same as they were when I migrated here. If you'd owned the bike less than a year, or had new parts (like an engine) fitted you will get hit for a GST assessment that is payable IF you sell the bike within a certain time period. Any existing paperwork that proves ownership is useful. As an aside, We also shipped a car and bike by container, the huge hidden cost is the 'offloading' at the docks. Basicaly only dockies are allowed to offload a container dockside and move the vehicle to a 'warehouse' where it can be retrieved. Cost wise? It worked out considerably cheaper to ship the unopened container by lorry to a customs yard, have it inspected and offload the vehicles, do the paperwork with a customs agent, then pay for the containers return. Rather than to pay the exorbitant price charged at the dockside for 'convenience'.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Thread Information