View Poll Results: The discretionary enforcement tolerance in passing lanes should be

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • the same as everywhere else

17 16.50%
  • higher than the normal tolerance (eg 40%)

60 58.25%
  • open ended - police should not enforce the speed limit n passing lanes

26 25.24%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Police discretion re ticketing in passing lanes

Bike
    Homebuilt Special
    Quote Originally Posted by St_Gabriel View Post
    Now I am the last person who should be talking about speeds/speeding but if the above facts are correct, they being that it was dark, you were tired, and it was an unfamiliar road, was overtaking the truck at that time REALLY WORTH YOUR FUCKING LIFE...
    Do you know something we don't St Gabriel, is Leslie now up there with you? As far as I was aware she DIDN'T DIE!

You make a good point though. I'm not fundamentalist about ticketing in passing lanes. While I'm certain that ticketing for "exceeding the speed limit" is wrong in passing lanes, I believe that tickets against careless, dangerous, etc remain valid and this case might have been one of those. Although I'm not sure darkness is an additional risk factor. The lume of any oncoming vehicle's headlights is visible long before the vehicle is. I'd have thought that would make overtaking at night safer (unless the oncoming vehicle is driving without lights - something I have never witnessed.)

Fr Jack

Bike
    V Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Miller View Post
    (unless the oncoming vehicle is driving without lights - something I have never witnessed.)
    My turn to nit pick,

Maybe you haven't witnessed it because it was dark and they didn't have their lights on...
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets

Bike
    Homebuilt Special
    Quote Originally Posted by St_Gabriel View Post
    Maybe you haven't witnessed it because it was dark and they didn't have their lights on...
    I always have lights on, which would eventually show an oncoming vehicle at night, even if it's lights weren't on. I reckon the reason I've never seen it is because while many people don't care about other road users so don't consider their lights a warning device for others, the still need to see where they are going so don't drive at night without them.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I always have lights on, which would eventually show an oncoming vehicle at night, even if it's lights weren't on. I reckon the reason I've never seen it is because while many people don't care about other road users so don't consider their lights a warning device for others, the still need to see where they are going so don't drive at night without them.
    Even in daylight ... It supprises me how often darker coloured cars are more difficult to see ... either due to light conditions, or heat thermals off the road on warmer days ..
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Homebuilt Special
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Even in daylight ... It supprises me how often darker coloured cars are more difficult to see ... either due to light conditions, or heat thermals off the road on warmer days ..
    They say it makes you blind.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Do you just wear glasses ...

Bike
    Daytona 675
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Gun metal gray Nissans on wet mornings?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Gun metal gray Nissans on wet mornings?
    Never seen one ...

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Morning Jacko.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    As a fairly regular driver of large trucks, I have to say some of the worst experiences I have had have involved passing lanes. If Lesley's passing lane was the one up past the golf course , you are lucky you survived.

When you are following another truck & approaching the end of that passing lanes so you put on the indicator to move right. There are a line of cars beside the 2 trucks , some trying to get in front of the lead truck, 3 or 4 diving for the gap between the trucks , some hard on the brakes trying to get in behind & a whole bunch hung out in no mans land with cars approaching from ahead. Gets interesting I tells ya

That little shit fight was caused by an idiot in a camper van who got in front of us at the Thames turn off & proceeded to drive at 70/80 while camped on the centre line leaving no one an opportunity to pass. Nett result, huge frustration & people doing real dumb shit.

Bike
    Honda
    Yeah found that towing a 8+ metre boat that people just lose all perspective when they see you at passing lanes and take some ridiculous risks, you see them coming up behind you and think, nah they must know they can't make it.

Giving free reign speed wise would just make it worse, just a blind eye to safe if slightly fast passing is all thats needed.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I think Lesley wrapped herself around a lamp post some time ago. Possibly at the end of a passing lane.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I think Lesley wrapped herself around a lamp post some time ago. Possibly at the end of a passing lane.
    Was the truck driver's fault though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information