View Poll Results: The discretionary enforcement tolerance in passing lanes should be

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • the same as everywhere else

17 16.50%
  • higher than the normal tolerance (eg 40%)

60 58.25%
  • open ended - police should not enforce the speed limit n passing lanes

26 25.24%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Police discretion re ticketing in passing lanes

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by lesley View Post
    I would be most grateful to receive any suggestions about what strategies I can utilise in my defense of this matter and would also be delighted if other concerned citizens could take the time to attend the hearing.
    You didn't lose your licence so I'd recommend you suck it up and move on. Although your comment about lawyers suggests that there may be some history.

Accelerating from 100 to 128km/h in a car. How long does that take ? Over what distance? If the 200m sign was missing on the right how did you know the lane was going to end other than the truck indicating 200m later where the lane actually ended? And being generous 128 is 135 on the clock. In the dark. In the wet. While tired. So while you were "forced" to accelerate to get past you had no idea that there might have been a 65km/h curve at the end of the passing lane? Pity the poor bastard coming the other way.

I think there should be some leeway over strict enforcement of the speed limit in a passing lane, but in those conditions you are taking the piss.

Good luck.

Bike
    SF
    I would be most grateful to receive any suggestions about what strategies I can utilise in my defense of this matter and would also be delighted if other concerned citizens could take the time to attend the hearing.

Cheers, Lesley
    Years ago I got pinged for 114km/h as i sped up at the end of a passing lane because didn't want to merge into the door of the 4WD beside me. I wrote in to explain the situation and to ask for leniency but no dice. $80 and some demerits. As others have said, you've been snapped in the wrong and so you're probably gonna have to deal with the consequences. You can try to write in but I wouldn't expect anything.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Dear Jack et all
    I came across your interesting discussion recently when I was researching speed enforcement in passing lanes. The reason I am researching this subject is because I got issued with a speeding infringement at 9.00pm one Sunday night on SH2 near Maramarua, whilst I was enroute from Wellington-Auckland. It was a dark wet night and I was tired from my long drive, so for most of my journey I was well under the speed limits. However, when I got to the passing lane in question, I was forced to speed up to avoid collison with the truck/trailer I was passing. I didn't realise the lane was about to end because the 'passing land ending' sign on the left of the road was obscured by the truck and there was no sign errected on the other side of the road (as is now required by law). At 100 kph on a wet road, there was no option to slow down or stop to let the truck merge in front of me, because the merge was imminent and the vehicle I was overtaking was too long. Consequently, I was obliged to increase my speed to allegedly 128 kph to avoid collison with the truck. The officer who issued me with the ticket was parked up with his stalker radar on in a side street within 250 metres of the passing lane ending. I didn't see him at that time, but received written confirmation from him later of his whereabouts. On a wet Sunday night, when there are few cars on the road and little for a country cop to do, I have no doubt he was only there for tax collection purposes and not road safety, which is wholly unethical.

I was aggrieved to receive an infringement in these circumstances and wrote to NZ Police requesting it cancel the infringement. The response I received from the Adjudication Manager refused to waive the infringement without reason. I also received a letter from the officer involved, advising me that Speed Enforcement Guide doesn't apply to Stalker Radar which I found rather perplexing because this code specifically relates to: "Speed measuring devices (including but not limited to speedometers, laser and radar devies) are, if operated in or from a vehicle, only to be operated from vehicles owned or operated by NZ Police" .

I have opted in public interest to have this matter determined by a court. I can't afford lawyers and have little respect for most anyway, so I will be representing myself at the hearings, which have been set down for Huntly District Court commencing on 21 February 2011.

Cheers, Lesley
    Lesley here is a condensed version of what will happen in court.
    JUdge Lesley did you exceed 100 km hr
    Lesley Yes Sir
    Fined .............

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Dear Jack et all
    Bleat and moan.

Cheers, Lesley
    So, you pulled out to pass. You're too stupid to judge how fast you need to go to pass the vehicle that is "holding you up" and are incapable of looking ahead.
    You nearly have a crash involving a truck, due to your lack of intelligence and stupid passing manoeuvre.
    You broke the speed limit.
    You're bitching about it.
    You think you can accelerate faster than you can slow down?

You didn't have to pass the truck.
    You can stop in the wet faster than you can pass a truck.
    No-one "forced" you.
    You have a problem with getting a speeding ticket, when you were speeding.
    Grow up.

You are a dick, get off the roads, you're dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    CBR250R '89 MC19
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    That's wheelie good advice.

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post

A bit harsh on the new girl

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Parlane View Post
    That's wheelie good advice.
    Hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a

Shhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    A bit harsh on the new girl
    Should be good for a decent rise out of someone
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Bikes!
    I drive bad,

Cheers, Lesley
    Wait, in a car of a bike? If it was a car...

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Wait, in a car of a bike? If it was a car...

If it was a bike the rozza would never have got a lock on. A truck has about 50 times the radar signature of a bike.
    Just another leather clad Tinkerbell.
    The Wanker on the Fucking Harley is going for a ride!

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Dear Jack et all
    ..... I got issued with a speeding infringement at 9.00pm one Sunday night on SH2 near Maramarua, .... It was a dark wet night and I was tired from my long drive,................ I was forced to speed up to avoid collison with the truck/trailer I was passing. ........... the merge was imminent and the vehicle I was overtaking was too long. Consequently, I was obliged to increase my speed to allegedly 128 kph to avoid collison with the truck.

........... I will be representing myself at the hearings, which have been set down for Huntly District Court commencing on 21 February 2011. Been and gone, that date...

Cheers, Lesley
    Oh dear, and you chose to do that on one of the most notorious stretches of road you could have picked? I'm all for saying that roads are not dangerous, road users are; having said that, that area is particularly non-forgiving and I think you should be thankful simply to be alive rather than yet another SH2 accident statistic. You were in the wrong regardless of what your excuses are, take your punishment like a big girl.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Miller View Post
    Good luck Any Cop ticketing in a passing lane is pure scum in my opinion and even in the more sympathetic opinion of at least one on-list policeman should be focusing his attention on other issues.
    Yup, there should be NO speed limit on a passing lane...

What could possibly go wrong, I mean it's only a passing lane...not like it's a normal narrow road, is it?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Yup, there should be NO speed limit on a passing lane...

What could possibly go wrong, I mean it's only a passing lane...not like it's a normal narrow road, is it?
    Totally. In fact, if you get a speeding ticket, it should just be a reminder that you're a better driver than everyone else and you shouldn't have to pay them.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Gone
    On trips like from Dn to ChCh how about an economical park and ride option on the train- then one could avoid the revenue collection/safety measure's, crap drivers (local and tourists), weather hazards, acts of God and even pointless discussion on this subject, with the added advantage of a mug of railway tea and a pie!
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    It was on the good
    Have you ever been on the train between Chch and Dunedin? I did it once. Scenic, for like 15 minutes when you can see the coast, but by fuck it is slow. Seriously, if it is quicker to ride or drive than take the train then it is pretty much pointless. Double line it and bang a bullet train on there, Chch in an hour, and maybe. The only good thing about NZ trains is that if you ask nicely they will stop so you can get off and have that pie and a fag, and there is always a good chance you will kill a car driver at a level crossing. They certainly don't need to worry about speed enforcement.

Anyway, back on topic, I see lesley has left and gone back to the Skyline drifting forum after getting no help or sympathy here.

Bloody cagers.......

Bike
    bike decoration, 02 1150Gs, 2015 Indian
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    Lesley here is a condensed version of what will happen in court.
    JUdge Lesley did you exceed 100 km hr
    Lesley Yes Sir
    Fined .............
    aye thats how it went with me so not only did the aleged speed stand I got hit with 130 court costs
    Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. (John 15:13)

Thread Information