View Poll Results: The discretionary enforcement tolerance in passing lanes should be

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • the same as everywhere else

17 16.50%
  • higher than the normal tolerance (eg 40%)

60 58.25%
  • open ended - police should not enforce the speed limit n passing lanes

26 25.24%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Police discretion re ticketing in passing lanes

Bike
    Homebuilt Special
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    the odd one does do it Scummy....we have a passing lane opposite the farm im on...there is often the same highway patrol car parked in one of our farm access ways, under the trees, pointing a gadget out of his window...it always seems to be the same guy...oddly I've talked to him a couple of times when I'm going out that way with some machinery...and he seem like a nice fella??
    Actions speak louder than words. He's not a nice fella. If you tell me the road I'll set him up to give me a ticket, just need to find someone willing to play the part of impeder, any volunteers? He won't know what hit him.

Acquittal* number four coming up.

Bike
    Homebuilt Special
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    I’ve been booked at 112 on a passing lane, I was most pleased…
    The upside was now I knew where he was I could have a little fun!
    Anyway, sorry OP I’ve gotten way off topic.
    No problem, tell us about the fun you had with him.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    the odd one does do it Scummy....we have a passing lane opposite the farm im on...there is often the same highway patrol car parked in one of our farm access ways, under the trees, pointing a gadget out of his window...it always seems to be the same guy...oddly I've talked to him a couple of times when I'm going out that way with some machinery...and he seem like a nice fella??

but also...its the only time I've ever seen a cop praying on passing lanes.
    Was he actually writing out tickets?

Or just doing a survey on speeds in that area?

Not sticking up for him but i've known guys to have been directed to record speed for a certain time/area but not ticket anybody.

And to try and remain out of sight so as not to create a false sense that speeds are low in the area when everybody who spots them slows down.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

Not sticking up for him but i've known guys to have been directed to record speed for a certain time/area but not ticket anybody.
    Yeah I'm sure he was surveying speeds. I expect he was handing personal questionnaires to people who went too fast, and charged them a fee for their input, proportional to their speed.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Miller View Post
    Actions speak louder than words. He's not a nice fella. If you tell me the road I'll set him up to give me a ticket, just need to find someone willing to play the part of impeder, any volunteers? He won't know what hit him.

Acquittal* number four coming up.

Here's a challenge, you and I should catch up, and I'll loan you a bike to speed on. I'll then write you a ticket, and the challenge is on !! Lets go to court and see who wins !!

Funny thing is, I actually care more about people complying than playing the sometimes silly court game. So if you don't come down and speed I've won anyway !!

Seriously tho, I saw a bloke go through a red light today. He and I had a hearty discussion during which it was clear to me that he actually believed it wasn't red. It must be a shit of a thing, being accused of something you are convinced you didn't do. Thing is, we act on what we see, so he got the ticket anyway. It truly must be hard.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Hey Jacko

Here's a challenge, you and I should catch up, and I'll loan you a bike to speed on. I'll then write you a ticket, and the challenge is on !! Lets go to court and see who wins !!
    I'll watch and warm doughnuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I'll watch and warm doughnuts
    Cool, I was thinking of getting a donut sponsor.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Cool, I was thinking of getting a donut sponsor.
    I can probably help out, I'm nice like that.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Back on topic, I note that the thread started as a discussion on the exercise of discretion. There appears to be an impression that exercising discretion means giving a warning.

Now, I have consulted with the interweb, and find that discretion is The ability to make decisions which represent a responsible choice and for which an understanding of what is lawful, right or wise may be presupposed. see Websters Third New International Dictionary (unabridged)

Nowhere does it say choosing not to take action. It says considering the options, and choosing one. So, I can consider all the options and exercise my discretion by choosing to write a ticket.

Just a thought.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Back on topic, I note that the thread started as a discussion on the exercise of discretion. There appears to be an impression that exercising discretion means giving a warning.

Now, I have consulted with the interweb, and find that discretion is The ability to make decisions which represent a responsible choice and for which an understanding of what is lawful, right or wise may be presupposed. see Websters Third New International Dictionary (unabridged)

Nowhere does it say choosing not to take action. It says considering the options, and choosing one. So, I can consider all the options and exercise my discretion by choosing to write a ticket.

Just a thought.
    I'd say you're probably on to it when it comes to discretion

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I'd say you're probably on to it when it comes to discretion
    Ta for that. Thought I was going mad.

Exercised my discretion several times today, wrote tickets.

Lots of cellphone use out there folks, watch out for the distracted idiot who might nudge you without knowing you are there.

Bike

Just a thought.
    Damn tootin' right.

What some think 'discreton' means:
    I don't care what the cop thinks I did, I don't think it I should get a ticket".
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Homebuilt Special

Just a thought.
    So what is it if not "discretion" that causes traffic cops not to take action against people exceeding the speed limit if the amount over is less than the current tolerance? Whatever the answer is, substitute that for discretion in the poll.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Miller View Post
    So what is it if not "discretion" that causes traffic cops not to take action against people exceeding the speed limit if the amount over is less than the current tolerance? Whatever the answer is, substitute that for discretion in the poll.

You mean you can get a ticket for less than the current tolerance?

Must be bad kharma for that dude if he gets a ticket.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

And to try and remain out of sight so as not to create a false sense that speeds are low in the area when everybody who spots them slows down.
    well...you may be right...I don't actually remember him pulling anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Thread Information