View Poll Results: How many times have you crashed on the road?

Voters
295. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

77 26.10%
  • Once

79 26.78%
  • Twice

42 14.24%
  • Three times

37 12.54%
  • Four times

15 5.08%
  • Five times

14 4.75%
  • Six or more times

31 10.51%
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How many times have you crashed on the road?

Bike
    2005, Ducati Monster

How many times have you crashed on the road?

Ever since I began riding road bikes at 15 I've heard the age old saying "it's not if you will crash, it is when you crash" and in the past 12 years have crashed three times on the road.

Would you be so helpful as to tell me how many times you have crashed on the road?

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    So far, just once, Dont know exactly what happened, but I know it happened because I pulled the front brake in a corner I know it was ridiculous, but it takes a lot of work to overcome SR#1
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I put 5 times. But to be honest there was only 2 decent crashes and the rest were just minor "whoopsies" (sub-20kph).
    For the reference been riding on the road 14 years. Not that it really counts towards anything. Good crashes were in 1999 and 2004.
    One is 2004 was a reality check and I slowed the fuck down since then.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    2005, Ducati Monster
    out of the three I've had one was serious and required a hospital visit, while the other two were low speed. The last one was around 2007 and resulted in broken ribs, fractured wrist and a whole lot of road rash! Bloody jeans got yanked down over my hips. Don't know how or why but I got up and rode my RGV250 home about 2km away then sat on the couch bleeding until someone came home and took me to the hospital.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000
    None for me, but 2 or 3 VERY close calls.

Bike
    CBR250R '89 MC19
    One lowside, front wheel went down when braking on a straight piece of road on give way triangle paint It was wet. At about 30km/h... And I rode my bike until it came to a stop. Bruised hip and that was all. Helmet never touched the ground, nor did my jacket. Pants got a tiny rip in them and gouged the rubber on the fastener buttons for my RHS pocket.

Bike was worse off than me Cracked fairings, gouged clutch casing etc. Sadness!

Bike
    bandit
    Riding since 1973 - crashed ten times .. walked away from every one.

Hit two cars doing stupid things in front of me ...
    Braked too hard on a wet road ...
    Twice hit pea metal road patches with no warning signs
    Braked too hard on a metal surface ...
    Was drunken and should not have been riding on a pissing wet Wellington night ... (24 years ago)
    Major tank slapper in a right-hand corner at 110 klicks ...
    Slid out the back wheel and lost it (low speed) ...
    Low speed dump when the Triumph broke a clutch cable and I didn't get it down the gears fast enough ...
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    I get a bit supersticious about this, so wont mention how many. Slowed down a lot these days and don't even like group rides unless with riders I trust. Tend to view the Rimutuks as a narrow, looney rich backwater lane.

Bike
    2005, Ducati Monster
    whoah starting to realise I maybe should of added options above six times! Assumed there would not be many people with over six times down on the road...

Bike
    2007 GPX250R, 2009 Sachs SX1
    sub-40km lowside going down a hill around a corner. Oncoming car triggered sr1 and the front wheel locked. It was a big wakeup call to ride smart, and I got off easy by not injuring myself more than a buise.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    2 RTA's

1st Aprilia RSVR versus tractor. The tractor came first, I came second, the bike came 3rd. Lesson to learn...if you plan your overtake and something happens, pull back in and start your plan again. On my original plan I would have been on my side of the road before the farm entrance.

2nd SV650S versus 3 polish students. It was like a seen from a cartoon. 2 lanes of cars set off from the traffic lights and me in an empty 3rd lane. 3 students sprint out from behind a wall and across the front of the cars causing them to brake. Despite braking when the cars did I was approaching the lights at 50kmh and accelerating up to 80. The students having run across the cars stopped in my lane laughing and patting backs until they saw the headlight and heard the horn. They ran one way and then the other and despite braking in a straight line one of them managed to line me up and jump onto the front fairing. I flipped him over the top of me with my head and came to a stop about 2 metres past the impact. Behind me was, just a shoe in the road!!! The 3 students were doing a runner as they expected to be arrested for what they had done.

The police were called, and an ambulance for the student. He had a few scrapes and a bruise on his cheek. My fairing mounts were snapped and I had to claim off my insurance. I had a rather sore neck.

Lesson learned....fit machine guns to the bike and mow em down, then pick your path between the corpses.
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    2005, Ducati Monster
    what's an SR1?

Bike
    CBR250R '89 MC19
    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post
    what's an SR1?
    Google didn't help me either Not even sure what an RTA is.

Bike
    the best one
    Quote Originally Posted by Animus View Post
    what's an SR1?
    Keith Code, Twist of the Wrist, SR-Survival Reactions.

I read the book once a year during xmas holidays when I have time. You get to the point where you're actually repeating lines to yourself as you approach corners etc.

It's has probably saved my life many times as it teaches you how not to ride a clown, and tells you what to do when the rear starts drifting out on you etc etc etc.

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Never yet just plenty of almosts.

I would like to be able so say it as if I'm gloating but with the "its not if, but when" statements ringing in my ears it can make me over think every "event". If you know what I mean?
    I put my shit start to riding a two wheeled anything at the start of this winter down to the same thing.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Thread Information