Page 59 of 87 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Hawke's Bay Ride Outs - is anyone there?

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Only one quote back so far strangely only $700 NZD sea freight Auckland to Sydney then Perth to Auckland - then add in all the other charges and it's ends up $ 2400 NZD round trip by sea, port charges, MAF, export charge, customs & the list goes on. He reckoned better sea freight as air would be over 6k and hiring a bike seems dearer than the sea freight. Plus that's the cost now not this time next year but flights are cheapest 12 months out.

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    That give me something to think about..I have also looked into renting....big bikes..say a GS are very expensive.....shipping might be the way to go..
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    when are you thinking of going Wade ?

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    This is something on my bucket list at the moment...

With my son moving to Canada with John Deere we have talked about doing the TAT maybe next year...

That will suck up some funds

But,when I was over in January, Sam ~ the guy that mapped the TAT, told me I could just use his bikes...

That would save some funds

I'll have to get this one out of the way before the OZ adventure~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    I'd love to do an oz or TAT adventure. I even acquired a TAT tee shirt and sticker for the bike from a generous benefactor which is now my favourite shirt next to my Kiwi Rider "grab life by the handle bars" tee Just need a lotto win, some new shoulder bearings fitted, a plausible story to tell Sue and I'm good to go
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Good catch up over coffee with Marty this avo who's looking well - pic attached was what we were talking about Marty Pavey and Plumb's riding ability like the Birch video showed i did and still have a long way to go but it was 2002
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rydale 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	645.2 KB 
ID:	296049  

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Good catch up over coffee with Marty this avo who's looking well - pic attached was what we were talking about Marty Pavey and Plumb's riding ability like the Birch video showed i did and still have a long way to go but it was 2002
    Epic picture no wonder I broke so many chains trying to keep in front of you on the 690 .... you never told us you'd been trained by the pro's

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Awesome pic Paul, how great to have had that opportunity
    Had an idea after I left Marty's on Tues, txt him back & he was dead keen. So good to catch up with you Marty
    Even if Marty can't partake (hoping he will ) he said he will GoPro us battling it out, then we can go for a drink & a yarn. Will pm you, the local boys & Gerard :-)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Yeah I think that still looks straight... Crash tested various bits on the DR after an argument with some nasty greasy stepped rock slabs at beach.
    Don't remember riding over same bit other times so storm must have washed away the sand maybe.
    Anyway the case armour did its thing along with the bashplate and brake lever now sporting new custom designs. The zeta BBs rotated a bit but still intact.
    Engine seemed quite happy to run upside down but hit kill switch pretty fast.
    Got bike upright ok but after the crash ended up in a rut like rock formation, used side stand to pivot bike around but getting moving again wasn't easy on slippery surface.
    BTW there's a few 'mud challenge' sections on the gravel link from Kairakau which are a slight surprise when rest of road fast and well swept.

DR by DR650NZ, on Flickr

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    Careful, Careful ~ don't want to add you to the list of injured riders

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS MAN View Post
    Careful, Careful ~ don't want to add you to the list of injured riders
    I probably endanger myself more in mountain bike park... managed to bruise or strain the tendons on top of foot just enough to be annoying.

Friend reckons the pub at Pongaroa is pretty good, might have to do a longer ride exploring down that way soon.

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Glad you came out of the crash ok mate, those DR's are tuff as old gumboots aren't they? and just as stinky.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Bit soft on the river bed after all the heavy rain. Just after I took this shot a couple of French tourists with kayak on top of hiace van tried to drive down too...
    No wonder they bungled the rainbow warrior op... actually they were quite on to it as far as getting out, the lady driver very smooth on the gas, still had to give them a little push.

20140427_7585FL by DR650NZ, on Flickr

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    And then it was onwards to some unexplored roads. Haven't been up Waihou in awhile, lot more tarseal now...
    At the river crossing to Taihape road that the others did on Barts ride, approach covered in deep silty mud. There's a ramp/jump at end for when it dries out

20140427_7593FL by DR650NZ, on Flickr

20140427_7606FL by DR650NZ, on Flickr

Bike
    XRV750, DL650, KL250, XR200R
    Just a reminder guys and gals Next Sunday is the Meeanee swap meet, went there 2 years ago and there was a huuuuge selection of old cars there plus a big turnout of bikes on display, and, on the weekend of the 5th and 6th of July, at the HB Show grounds is the "Evolution of the Motorcycle " Show, put on by the HB Classic Club. ALL types of bikes will be on display, from the late 1800s to present day. Trying to get together a selection of Trail/Adv bikes for the show so if you have anything that is complete, doesn't have to be in flash condition, let me know and I can liase with the organizers. Marty, would like to see your Beta there if that's ok. Robyn, your DR200 and the XR200 please. Wade, Your KTM and KLR Please, My DR650 will be set up for camping at this stage. Its going to depend on the amount of room that's available in the end. Will be in contact with everyone closer to the time.

Cheers
    Ross
    COP, "Ive been waiting to catch you all day"
    BIKER "Sorry officer, I got here as fast as I could"

Thread Information