Page 77 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1298

Thread: Hawke's Bay Ride Outs - is anyone there?

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Not even the slightest bit jealous Stanley ..... I hope a cat takes a dump on your head while your sleeping tonight

Not likely I'm in Auckland airport waiting for 1st flight to the bay in the morning five weeks away was a long time mostly camping.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pomgolian View Post
    Not that bad think it was $940 via mainfreight to fly it but I had to drop it crated to Auckland, even let me de-crate in Sydney depot and disposed of the metal crate FOC so thumbs up to them, (if anyone ever says send it Non dangerous goods tell them to get f***** as two shippers told me to which would have saved $300 but it's impossible to do with anything that has seen petrol through it which gave me the run around for several weeks before shipping) as they are accredited to OZ bio they went to the depot and cleared which was another couple hundred instead of $500 looks like being similar Perth Auckland by boat as long as shipper is to his word which doesn't always happen from what I read, then there's the Carnet $565 think that was. Flights, spendy, soon adds up but it was a once in a lifetime trip.

DR never missed a beat, no punctures, only thing was rear muffler came loose from the 150 odd kms of corrugated road into Finke which is aftermarket anyway and the number plate cracked and the end part fell off.
    That's not too bad for airfreight of such large item. Agree with what you say about DG's, people might get away with that on road transport with something that is apart of the motive power of the vehicle (eg a motorbike with lead acid battery installed can still travel with foodstuffs but take that battery out and send it by itself and its Class 8 corrosive pain in the arse. Any container that has held DG's is still hazardous until officially cleaned and certified. Plastic containers of any kind are the worst even if designed for it. They are all slightly pourous and always retain 3% of whatever was in there before hand, except of course if you've run out of fuel in middle of nowhere lol....
    Those cheaper shippers would have given you a right hospital pass and possibly landed you with fines for non declaration of DG's etc.... you wouldn't want the bill for a plane being unloaded because someone smelt petrol halfway through loading up....
    Hazardous rant over lol, its a pet peeve of mine, dealt with too many muppets out there who are lazy with the paperwork and want you to hide stuff in toolboxes on trailers. They suddenly go quiet when you ask if they want to pay their share of the potential fines...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Took the 530 out to Wades yesterday for a test ride. Here's a video report...

....wherezz that track go

Bike
    Triumph XC 800
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Marty...Anytime I/We can take the 530's out it's a GREAT DAY!!!!!

Your riding looks very much like the Marty of old!!! You are coming BACK
    "Those who hammer there guns into plow shears will plow for those who do not" Thomas Jefferson

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Quote Originally Posted by GPS MAN View Post
    Cheers Marty...Anytime I/We can take the 530's out it's a GREAT DAY!!!!!

Your riding looks very much like the Marty of old!!! You are coming BACK
    Cheers, a little rusty but will get there. The 530 has exceeded expectations (even in adventure clothes), it is way different to the 690. Handling is easier in tighter terrain (as you might expect) with tighter steering, torque is exceptional on both bikes but the 530 is more responsive than the 690 (on standard map setting). 530 didn't feel as planted on the gravel but expect that's down to the exc's shorter wheel base & lighter weight...... and cos I haven't riding for 19 odd months

Heres some shots of the 530 twins

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3053.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	820.9 KB 
ID:	313186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3050.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	675.4 KB 
ID:	313185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	800.1 KB 
ID:	313184Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3037.jpg 
Size:	896.3 KB 
ID:	313183

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    You look great Marty and so does the bike. AWESOME !
    Thanks for the video footage Wade
    If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride !

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Good to hear your getting better Robin.

Couple days off... me vs mountain, think its still a draw... damn ice and damn trees raining gravel sized ice from last nights rain with every wind gust!!!
    First ride with winter liner back inside riding gear, nice and toasty warm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks so much Raymond .

You sure are a tuffy When I encounter the white stuff it generally with a pair of skis snapped to my feet !

Bike
    2007 Suzuki DR200 SE
    Bit warmer at Docker River didn't stay long though the local dogs didn't like noisy motorcycles !
    Had been wondering why you had been so quite Paul.
    What an amazing, fun filled five weeks Please post some more pics when you get some time. And stories
    Have Cody home from Uni at the mo and he wants to know about the fishing you did on your travels ?

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Hi Robyn yes great time didn't take rod as had tooo much shit as it was, thought I had it packed light but decided along the way to ditch stuff and still kept stuff I could have easily have done without, on the road you really don't need much. Wildlife was the biggest surprise so many things want to jump in front of you, had an emu just appear along side me at about 50 Kmh then darted back in the bush shit the bejesus out of me. Dead Roos on the road have a very distinctive pungent smell from a few hundred meters away, saw probably 100 of them one morning early all just watching waiting to jump. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	785.3 KB 
ID:	313238Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	779.8 KB 
ID:	313239

Ayers Rock was impressive better than the Olgas I thought as you could pretty much ride right round it the Olgas you have to tramp through them which would have been good but add at least another day or two. Kings Canyon I did a hike around which was another must see, the other pic is the Pinnacles a diferent park in WA that you drive around a desert rock filled landscape for 8km or so (wouldn't do that in Europe)

Bike
    1150GS / DR750 Big/KTM Adventure
    Pomgolian, sounds like I probably past you travelling the other way lol, we went from Perth to Byron bay. Stopped at Alice for new tyres on the rear and went out and watched the Finke race then carried on, mate went thru the Simpson and I went around as I smashed colar bone and ribs on the Finke service track lol, I made it to Byron bay tho. That is a big beautiful country (BIG).

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    The kept and discarded gear list would be very interesting.
    Reminds me of the list you get given for winter camps of stuff that you NEED, must have etc... I recall after the fifth winter trip into Kawekas in Cadet forces I'd eliminated about 75% of stuff but still able to safely survive if needed.
    Same now when I go away, try to be minimalist but sometimes not see pic lol....

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Hitting a dead Roo better than wackin into a live sheep..... I imagine

Those outback warning signs look useful.... Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	313244

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by nooles View Post
    Pomgolian, sounds like I probably past you travelling the other way lol, we went from Perth to Byron bay. Stopped at Alice for new tyres on the rear and went out and watched the Finke race then carried on, mate went thru the Simpson and I went around as I smashed colar bone and ribs on the Finke service track lol, I made it to Byron bay tho. That is a big beautiful country (BIG).
    Yep passed a few going the other way were you part of the 200 bike group ? Saw a few come through when I was camped at the Finke end, I had planned to do the service road but it didn't open till late so went back out to Kulgera. I did Sydney to Byron via Bathurst and in land route Then across to Dongara on the west coast, missed some of the middle due the rain that passed through and closed all the roads. Did you ride with a broken collar bone ? And yes one big mother of a country stretches of several hundred Kms of nothing and seeing nobody which I would not want to be out in summer time.

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    Hitting a dead Roo better than wackin into a live sheep..... I imagine

Those outback warning signs look useful.... Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	313244
    Nice photoshop - Larry lamb would b nothing compared to hitting a live or dead 6 foot 200 pound roo, I travelled in the middle of the road to give me a slightly better chance if something darted out from the left, nearly hit an emu, couple of Roos hopped across 50 yds ahead of me, then a herd of camels and a dingo played chicken on the Great central road.

You get told don't travel at night shit it was bad enough in the day !!

Talking to a grey nomad one night and he hit an emu in his 4x4 which caused $20,000 worth of damage and the head slammed into the bonnet which had to b changed, he thought we are all nuts riding bikes in OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	313258  

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    Nice photoshop - Larry lamb would b nothing compared to hitting a live or dead 6 foot 200 pound roo, I travelled in the middle of the road to give me a slightly better chance if something darted out from the left, nearly hit an emu, couple of Roos hopped across 50 yds ahead of me, then a herd of camels and a dingo played chicken on the Great central road.

You get told don't travel at night shit it was bad enough in the day !!

Talking to a grey nomad one night and he hit an emu in his 4x4 which caused $20,000 worth of damage and the head slammed into the bonnet which had to b changed, he thought we are all nuts riding bikes in OZ.
    dead 6' 200lb roo is only a slight speed bump to WP suspension bro. Glad you got back in one piece though mate, having a bad off in the outback would certainly rip ya nightie 4sure . If ya looking for coffee during the week ya nose where ta find me.

Thread Information