Page 155 of 204 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 3051

Thread: Canterbury Wednesday Night Ride

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    ...Yea, we need to reinstate the Leader and Tail End Charlie thing, basically just ride as a group rather than a bunch of individuals going roughly the same direction
    Not convinced that is enough with this bunch of individuals and this still doesn't stop people mid group missing turns when gaps in the group open up large enough so they can no longer see where the rider in front of them went.
    They don't always know they are lost until they discover the people behind them aren't there anymore either.
    Also not convinced from previous posts on the topic of control that you'll get enough cooperation across the range of riders to do something like the cornerman system either.
    I'm tending to think it'd be simpler just buddie people who are not so familiar with the routes up with someone who is and is willing to keep them in their mirrors making sure they see the turns, then the rest of the riders can continue to do what they are doing without the anti authoritarian (for want of a better description) posts of the past repeating. Of course that also relies upon riders realising they aren't going to know all the turns so might need a buddie.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    K1 GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    But that still doesn't stop people mid group missing turns when gaps in the group open up large enough so they can no longer see where the rider in front of them went.
    They don't always know they are lost until they discover the people behind them aren't there anymore either.
    Yup this is what happened to me, was entirely my own fault though, if I'd simply slowed down and waited at each turn off I'd have been right.

Bike
    Speed Triple R
    I recall a while back that we had a number of set routes with maps posted so peeps could, if they were so inclined, research where the ride would be going. I guess it is just one of those things, if you don't know the way you need to stick with someone who does. Easier said than done when meeting a new group of people, but make yourself known and you will be looked after.

Speaking of which I am waiting for the TA visor lecture ;-) This season I have a transitional visor that changes from tinted to clear depending on light levels, highly recommend it.
    These aren't the bikes we're looking for....

Bike
    A Japanese and two Italian tractors
    Quote Originally Posted by Peeteey View Post
    Yea, we need to reinstate the Leader and Tail End Charlie thing, basically just ride as a group rather than a bunch of individuals going roughly the same direction
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Not convinced that is enough with this bunch of individuals and this still doesn't stop people mid group missing turns when gaps in the group open up large enough so they can no longer see where the rider in front of them went.
    Also not convinced from previous posts on the topic of control that you'll get enough cooperation across the range of riders to do something like the cornerman system either.
    I'm tending to think it'd be simpler just buddie people who are not so familiar with the routes up with someone who is and is willing to keep them in their mirrors making sure they see the turns, then the rest of the riders can continue to do what they are doing without the anti authoritarian (for want of a better description) posts of the past repeating. Of course that also relies upon riders realising they aren't going to know all the turns so might need a buddie.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post
    I recall a while back that we had a number of set routes with maps posted so peeps could, if they were so inclined, research where the ride would be going. I guess it is just one of those things, if you don't know the way you need to stick with someone who does. Easier said than done when meeting a new group of people, but make yourself known and you will be looked after.

Speaking of which I am waiting for the TA visor lecture ;-) This season I have a transitional visor that changes from tinted to clear depending on light levels, highly recommend it.
    Great!! I look forward to you guys coming along each week and implementing all these good ideas. I agree there is a need for these and other things to be done, however with a busy lifestyle it is more than I am able to do without help.

I look forward to your constructive input.

Next WNR Methven??? Are you organising it SS??
    And remember ...... if it hasn't got one of "Uncle Flip's" prosthetic kickers it isn't a real motorbike!!!

Bike
    A Japanese and two Italian tractors
    This season I have a transitional visor that changes from tinted to clear depending on light levels, highly recommend it.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh. That sound interesting Mr Net. I need a new visor. Where did you get it and how much please?????? And are they available for different makes of helmets????
    And remember ...... if it hasn't got one of "Uncle Flip's" prosthetic kickers it isn't a real motorbike!!!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    ....Speaking of which I am waiting for the TA visor lecture ;-) This season I have a transitional visor that changes from tinted to clear depending on light levels, highly recommend it.
    lol, it did cross my mind when the first ride was posted this season and I had a little chuckle remembering the previous happenings around the topic but na, decided stuff it.
    I now have glasses that do that tinting thing but they no so effective under a UV filtering visor, but a light reactive visor sounds fantastic... and expensive I imagine. Will try remember to get a look at that when next we meet.

GP,maps are nice but the directions given so far this season have been good enough for me personally to understand which way the group is intending to go.
    I really dislike leading the group over all but I am happy to buddie with one or two others to help them find the way... on the days I actually show up.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Kawasaki Zephyr 750
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be attending as many wnr as possible. . happy to be a buddy.. though half the time is me who misses a turn. ..
    so maybe a corner lady is better lol. . or however I can help. . pass it forward as they say

Bike
    Speed Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by gloplg View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh. That sound interesting Mr Net. I need a new visor. Where did you get it and how much please?????? And are they available for different makes of helmets????
    I'm not sure if they are available for all makes of helmets GP, mine is a Bell. The visor was about $100US vs $70US for normal tinted visors, so just a bit dearer. I got the helmet & visor through motorcycles508.com, they had a special and free international shipping deal going at the time.

Bike
    Hayabusa
    Blog Entries
    So where is the ride to this week?

Bike
    DR650SE L4
    I don't mind leading if you guys want to try the Methven Route to the Blue Pub, should arrive there about 8pm.
    First Regroup by the Z fuel station in Yaldhurst and again in Waddington before heading of to Methven, if you want the route directions I can post them up.

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    I hear the Duvauchelle pub is open again , anyone stopped in and had a look yet? , Been ages since I've bothered going past hilltop on a wknd ride.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by cruza View Post
    I hear the Duvauchelle pub is open again , anyone stopped in and had a look yet? , Been ages since I've bothered going past hilltop on a wknd ride.
    They went there the week before last.
    I'd go more often and vote for longer rides if departure time was earlier but I know that is not possible for the majority as it has been discussed before.
    Just got the WR back from having work done to it so have an extra bill to pay this week. If I go out I might go say hi then pop down to the Valley Inn for the bangers and mash again or just get a burger on the way home.
    Hope you enjoy the ride to methven the rest of you.

cruza, if your free November 9th ADV guys going behind Hanmer in to the Edwards and Mailings Passes for a play.

Bike
    Mille
    Blog Entries
    Methven sounds great, please post map of route :-)
    Nurture your mind with great thoughts...like Bring It On

Bike
    DR650SE L4

Cog

The Map to Methven, Basically from the Car Park its

01. Get on Moorhouse Ave and ride east, 20 m
    02. Turn right onto Gasson St, 189 m
    03. Turn right onto Brougham St, 859 m
    04. Exit left onto ramp, 4.87 km
    05. Enter roundabout Roundabout, 345 m
    06. Take the 3rd left onto Expressway Connector, 96 m
    07. Enter roundabout Roundabout, 89 m
    08. Take the 1st left onto Highway, 46 m
    09. Turn left onto Yaldhurst Rd, 2.24 km
    10. Enter roundabout Roundabout, 5.18 km
    11. Take the 2nd left onto West Coast Rd
    12. Turn right onto Old West Coast Rd, 1757 m
    13. Turn left onto Waimakariri Gorge Rd, 39.29 km
    14. Turn left onto West Coast Rd, 63 m
    15. Turn right onto Deans Rd, 1056 m
    16. Turn right onto Bangor Rd, 8.26 km
    17. Turn left onto Rakaia Gorge Rd, 26.16 km
    18. Turn left onto Mt Hutt Station Rd, 10.91 km
    19. Turn left onto Hall St, 11.43 km
    20. Turn right onto Barkers Rd, 121 m

Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Methven.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	289154  

Bike
    Speed Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by cruza View Post
    Yep, quite flash in there. You need to put that thumper away and take the green machine, it'll probably find it's own way to duva ;-)

Thread Information