Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 237

Thread: Bimota YB8 Postie project sees the light of day

  1. #61
    Join Date
    13th June 2010 - 17:47
    Bike
    Exercycle
    Location
    Out in the cold
    Posts
    1,277
    My Gixer has the same problem with its hydraulic clutch. I tried another clutch basket which was in good condition but the problem is still there. [/QUOTE]

    Not using Barnett plates are you ? Holden couldn't live with them and made us take them out of our 1100. He was happiest with stock suzuki plates.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    27th August 2007 - 10:38
    Bike
    GSXR1000K2, 89 GSXR1100K
    Location
    ROTORUA
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My Gixer has the same problem with its hydraulic clutch. I tried another clutch basket which was in good condition but the problem is still there.
    Not using Barnett plates are you ? Holden couldn't live with them and made us take them out of our 1100. He was happiest with stock suzuki plates.[/QUOTE]

    Yep, using Barnett.
    How to make a small fortune out of motorcycle racing, start out with a BIG fortune

  3. #63
    Join Date
    8th November 2005 - 13:25
    Bike
    2X 89 ZXR750 H1 (road/race) 92 KX500
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,626
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) Hi Pete, No real need too submit info, - the process of protest (if it ever did occur) is actually quite a healthy thing in my mind and it puts to test the system, the rules and all the people involved.

    Long live the kiwi way of chinese whispers & whining, - it makes the whole thing so much more fun! :-)
    There has been a few mentions of whining in this thread, and I'm kind of guessing they are aimed at me as I bought up the question of the bikes eligibility. I just wanted to say, After reading the magazine and finding it was being listed as 1990 model, then finding the bike stats sites agreeing, asking the question is not to my mind whining, I was just curious.

    I get the manufactured date thing, I read the rules before I started my (slow) build and thinking along similar lines as you Glen, that with H2 750's being sold in nz in late 1989 and I could use the 5 kg (yes really) lighter swingarm. Wahoo I thought and promptly bought one on ebay, only to be told in a later conversation about the model year thing by the NZPCRA pres effectively ruling it out. The pres mentioned something similar happened in regards to upside down forks being allowed on pre89 ZXR400's (I'm a bit fuzzy on that part of the convo, so don't quote me!). I did not know that it is not them that enforces the rules in the class, but I don't really see much difference if I were to pull up to one of their events and be told to put my bike back on the trailer as it is not eligible for their race meetings.

    Personally, I know I'm never going to have the fastest bike in the 750, far from it, but I would like to at least be able to build the best bike I can to my funding limits and it be eligible to race in any blardy pre89 race thats run in NZ With the lay of the land as it is now, I guess each rider must make their own decision on how to approach it, mine was to drop the H2 swingarm idea, especially after a fellow racer told me he would protest if I tried it. (friendly fire too!)
    Clearly Glen you have done your homework, and are a braver man than me for testing it thats for sure!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    19th May 2006 - 09:42
    Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Location
    Subtropical Palmy
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There has been a few mentions of whining in this thread, and I'm kind of guessing they are aimed at me as I bought up the question of the bikes eligibility. I just wanted to say, After reading the magazine and finding it was being listed as 1990 model, then finding the bike stats sites agreeing, asking the question is not to my mind whining, I was just curious.

    I get the manufactured date thing, I read the rules before I started my (slow) build and thinking along similar lines as you Glen, that with H2 750's being sold in nz in late 1989 and I could use the 5 kg (yes really) lighter swingarm. Wahoo I thought and promptly bought one on ebay, only to be told in a later conversation about the model year thing by the NZPCRA pres effectively ruling it out. The pres mentioned something similar happened in regards to upside down forks being allowed on pre89 ZXR400's (I'm a bit fuzzy on that part of the convo, so don't quote me!). I did not know that it is not them that enforces the rules in the class, but I don't really see much difference if I were to pull up to one of their events and be told to put my bike back on the trailer as it is not eligible for their race meetings.

    Personally, I know I'm never going to have the fastest bike in the 750, far from it, but I would like to at least be able to build the best bike I can to my funding limits and it be eligible to race in any blardy pre89 race thats run in NZ With the lay of the land as it is now, I guess each rider must make their own decision on how to approach it, mine was to drop the H2 swingarm idea, especially after a fellow racer told me he would protest if I tried it. (friendly fire too!)
    Clearly Glen you have done your homework, and are a braver man than me for testing it thats for sure!
    Haha , yeah no worries & never anything personal with me mate, - I suspect that any machine thats close to the cut off period will get some debate going!

    As i say the bike even though it is from a specialist manufacture - is not particularily groundbreaking...... (it uses the identical frame to the YB6 and the same motor as the 89 Fizzer (in fact the motor is my old one from the FZR thats in it and it has the same carbs etc, so really wont be any more HP etc.).

    I can only dream of 160hp + GSXR's............ :-)

    Its a nice unique piece of kit to own though & it makes avery nice noise with its new exhaust ! (much nicer than anything green,,,,,,,,,,, :-)

    IMO ZXRs handle far to well & should be banned on that basis alone.........
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not in fact surrounded by ASSHOLES"
    www.glenwilliams.co.nz www.redpath.co.nz

  5. #65
    Join Date
    7th February 2009 - 18:47
    Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Location
    palmerston north
    Posts
    1,705
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Haha , yeah no worries & never anything personal with me mate, - I suspect that any machine thats close to the cut off period will get some debate going!

    As i say the bike even though it is from a specialist manufacture - is not particularily groundbreaking...... (it uses the identical frame to the YB6 and the same motor as the 89 Fizzer (in fact the motor is my old one from the FZR thats in it and it has the same carbs etc, so really wont be any more HP etc.).

    I can only dream of 160hp + GSXR's............ :-)

    Its a nice unique piece of kit to own though & it makes avery nice noise with its new exhaust ! (much nicer than anything green,,,,,,,,,,, :-)

    IMO ZXRs handle far to well & should be banned on that basis alone.........
    l will let you off this time cause mine is black for now

  6. #66
    Join Date
    23rd July 2008 - 08:31
    Bike
    ZXR400 race bike #20, KTM sx-f250
    Location
    Torbay, Auckland.
    Posts
    434

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There has been a few mentions of whining in this thread, and I'm kind of guessing they are aimed at me as I bought up the question of the bikes eligibility. I just wanted to say, After reading the magazine and finding it was being listed as 1990 model, then finding the bike stats sites agreeing, asking the question is not to my mind whining, I was just curious.

    I get the manufactured date thing, I read the rules before I started my (slow) build and thinking along similar lines as you Glen, that with H2 750's being sold in nz in late 1989 and I could use the 5 kg (yes really) lighter swingarm. Wahoo I thought and promptly bought one on ebay, only to be told in a later conversation about the model year thing by the NZPCRA pres effectively ruling it out. The pres mentioned something similar happened in regards to upside down forks being allowed on pre89 ZXR400's (I'm a bit fuzzy on that part of the convo, so don't quote me!). I did not know that it is not them that enforces the rules in the class, but I don't really see much difference if I were to pull up to one of their events and be told to put my bike back on the trailer as it is not eligible for their race meetings.

    Personally, I know I'm never going to have the fastest bike in the 750, far from it, but I would like to at least be able to build the best bike I can to my funding limits and it be eligible to race in any blardy pre89 race thats run in NZ With the lay of the land as it is now, I guess each rider must make their own decision on how to approach it, mine was to drop the H2 swingarm idea, especially after a fellow racer told me he would protest if I tried it. (friendly fire too!)
    Clearly Glen you have done your homework, and are a braver man than me for testing it thats for sure!
    I have a ZXR400 H1. When I bought it, it was already a race bike and had the H2 swingarm on it, unbeknown to me. The guy told me it was eligible for Pre '89 so I raced it in the class at club rounds. Then I rocked up to the NZPCRA GP last year and was told it was illegal. They still let me race for the day though which was bloody good of them I thought (and they let me keep the trophy).
    The next week I was back at a club round - I got protested and kicked out, as they said I now knew it was illegal - fair enough I reckon. I soon got the H1 swingarm after that - haha.
    Kindly sponsored by:

    CCL Communications[CENTER]
    Cycletreads

    divide interior design

  7. #67
    Join Date
    7th February 2009 - 18:47
    Bike
    93 kwacker zxr750
    Location
    palmerston north
    Posts
    1,705

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a ZXR400 H1. When I bought it, it was already a race bike and had the H2 swingarm on it, unbeknown to me. The guy told me it was eligible for Pre '89 so I raced it in the class at club rounds. Then I rocked up to the NZPCRA GP last year and was told it was illegal. They still let me race for the day though which was bloody good of them I thought (and they let me keep the trophy).
    The next week I was back at a club round - I got protested and kicked out, as they said I now knew it was illegal - fair enough I reckon. I soon got the H1 swingarm after that - haha.
    sounds like bike racing turned into car racing

  8. #68
    Join Date
    21st April 2007 - 08:04
    Bike
    None
    Location
    Mt Maunganui
    Posts
    2,119
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a ZXR400 H1. When I bought it, it was already a race bike and had the H2 swingarm on it, unbeknown to me. The guy told me it was eligible for Pre '89 so I raced it in the class at club rounds. Then I rocked up to the NZPCRA GP last year and was told it was illegal. They still let me race for the day though which was bloody good of them I thought (and they let me keep the trophy).
    The next week I was back at a club round - I got protested and kicked out, as they said I now knew it was illegal - fair enough I reckon. I soon got the H1 swingarm after that - haha.
    And then you crashed and got nowhere LMFAO! Must have been that swingarm keeping you upright eh!
    RACEFAIRINGS.CO.NZ

  9. #69
    Join Date
    27th August 2007 - 10:38
    Bike
    GSXR1000K2, 89 GSXR1100K
    Location
    ROTORUA
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its a nice unique piece of kit to own though & it makes avery nice noise with its new exhaust !
    I'm looking forward to seeing it, I've only read about them in mags (back in my youthful days). It will be great to see something rare and different on the track.
    Like when Dave Cole brings out the big Duke, its great for spectators and enthusiasts.

    Are you coming to the GP at Taupo? Dave has won it the last few years and could do with some competition. I'm sure he was falling a sleep.
    How to make a small fortune out of motorcycle racing, start out with a BIG fortune

  10. #70
    Join Date
    19th May 2006 - 09:42
    Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Location
    Subtropical Palmy
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Smith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you coming to the GP at Taupo? Dave has won it the last few years and could do with some competition. I'm sure he was falling a sleep.


    No, havent got the time to do that, and as said before - until the NZPCRA is able to run individual class championships the "series" doesnt really interest me.

    I think your Ducati/Cole prediction could be right !, however maybe the Kat or The Gee will be participating and able to keep him honest ?
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not in fact surrounded by ASSHOLES"
    www.glenwilliams.co.nz www.redpath.co.nz

  11. #71
    Join Date
    23rd July 2008 - 08:31
    Bike
    ZXR400 race bike #20, KTM sx-f250
    Location
    Torbay, Auckland.
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And then you crashed and got nowhere LMFAO! Must have been that swingarm keeping you upright eh!
    Actually that crash on Sunday was my first one in quite a while - think it was more 'the curse of the new fairings'
    Kindly sponsored by:

    CCL Communications[CENTER]
    Cycletreads

    divide interior design

  12. #72
    Join Date
    25th October 2002 - 13:00
    Bike
    RG250WW
    Location
    W.A.
    Posts
    4,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't have to be available they just have to be manufactured prior to the end of December 1989

    You've said that one was shown in Milan in 1989 so that means at least one was manufactured prior to the Dec 31st 1989 cut off
    Manufactured and sold as are not neccesarily the same thing. I had a "1988" FZR 750, that, when checking the frame/engine numbers, was actually manufactured in 1986....
    "“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

  13. #73
    Join Date
    19th May 2006 - 09:42
    Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Location
    Subtropical Palmy
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I get the manufactured date thing, I read the rules before I started my (slow) build and thinking along similar lines as you Glen, that with H2 750's being sold in nz in late 1989 and I could use the 5 kg (yes really) lighter swingarm. Wahoo I thought and promptly bought one on ebay, only to be told in a later conversation about the model year thing by the NZPCRA pres effectively ruling it out. !
    IMO, if that swingarm was around in that time period as you say then owners back then theoreticllay could have fitted it to any 89 model in its day.

    So "if you could do it in 89, then you can do it now". The only proof you need is that it actually existed.
    An example is my braced swingarm on the FZR, it wasnt stock in the day, however it was somehting that anyone could do to their bike, so no problem?

    GW
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not in fact surrounded by ASSHOLES"
    www.glenwilliams.co.nz www.redpath.co.nz

  14. #74
    Join Date
    8th November 2005 - 13:25
    Bike
    2X 89 ZXR750 H1 (road/race) 92 KX500
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    1,626
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yes, that was my take on it too after reading the rules. Guess I may need Proof from Kawasaki NZ they were selling H2's in 89. And yes, for sure bracing the swingarm would be fine as it was a common mod back in the day. To tell the truth, ram airing a H1 raised my eyebrows, but was told it was fine as the president of the nzpcra himself actually did that mod to a 89 h1. So I'm going to build one for the bike. I'm assembling the chassis now and the motor parts I have been collecting from the UK will be here next week

    I'd imagine the Bimota should handle quite a bit better than the fzr, I've read good things about that frame. I'd be struggling to get my 750 down to your base weight before you take the lights n that off Was also wondering if it were legal (or even possible) for a ZX10 motor to be shoe horned in

  15. #75
    Join Date
    19th May 2006 - 09:42
    Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Location
    Subtropical Palmy
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was also wondering if it were legal (or even possible) for a ZX10 motor to be shoe horned in
    Yeah ZX10 will be fine bro, - Just use the same tactics as they used to use for the 6 hour and 2 hour races. I;E , win the race, then ride in off the track, carry on out the gate & ride home............
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not in fact surrounded by ASSHOLES"
    www.glenwilliams.co.nz www.redpath.co.nz

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •