Thread: Treacherous tar tyres trouble

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R

eek Treacherous tar tyres trouble

So the council have decided to put down a new seal along my road (not complaining), and it's currently 5km of new seal goodness. However having already ridden over 20km on this highway of fishtailing my tyres are looking a bit scary, with tar spots all around the contact patch.

So the question is, should I leave my bike in the garage, buy some CRC bug and tar remover and wait out the roadworks using my car. Or is tar attached to the tyres not too much of a grip hazard where it will come off while riding on the open road?

Quite a lot of tar sitting on the chain as well now...

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    So the council have decided to put down a new seal along my road (not complaining), and it's currently 5km of new seal goodness. However having already ridden over 20km on this highway of fishtailing my tyres are looking a bit scary, with tar spots all around the contact patch.

So the question is, should I leave my bike in the garage, buy some CRC bug and tar remover and wait out the roadworks using my car. Or is tar attached to the tyres not too much of a grip hazard where it will come off while riding on the open road?

Quite a lot of tar sitting on the chain as well now...
    Itll scrub of the tyres soon enough but its a pain in the rear to remove from plastics
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Itll scrub of the tyres soon enough but its a pain in the rear to remove from plastics
    +1. I'm with Frosty. Tar on the tyre near the contact patch and on the chain don't sound good to me.

I suspect it would quickly wear off the tyre with some use, but the chain might need more careful attention. I could see tar setting and creating tight spots on the chain where it resists flexing.

Bike
    Daytona 675
    What’s the place that you go to bitch about the roads?
    Some ACC/GOVT web sight that we’re all paying for to improve biker safety…
    Find it, go there and tell them.
    It’s what they are for so get your $30 worth.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    What’s the place that you go to bitch about the roads?
    Some ACC/GOVT web sight that we’re all paying for to improve biker safety…
    Find it, go there and tell them.
    It’s what they are for so get your $30 worth.
    I had a good rant at some Auckland Transport bugger, told them I'd be sending in the bill for tar removal spray because 5km of 2-lane roadworks with no alternative route is an unacceptable hazard. It's starting to set in fine now, never ceases to amaze me how they lay 5km of roadworks and don't get rid of any bumps. "spray and walk away"

Bike
    A
    It's fun isn't it? Had this on the Desert Rd last summer when they were resealing in the stinking hot sun, with the stones going thru the tar and ending up with tar in places I've not seen in before....
    Kerosene is the answer, as for the sticky stuff on the tyres, don't worry about it, just ride like you've got new tyres on for a short spell and it'll clean up no worries. And by all means have your say on Gareths' site.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Kerosene is the answer.
    Just for the chain though aye... not keen using Kerosene on the plastic fantastic fairings...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Just for the chain though aye... not keen using Kerosene on the plastic fantastic fairings...
    Well I've been using kerosene as my detar and debug agent for 25 years. Don't rub too hard, let the kero eat the tar or bug, use liberally with soft rag or spray bottle. Kero will not tarnish plastic on short term exposure. Wash off with warm soapy water afterwards, especially any kero run-off that ends up on your tyres.

Thread Information