Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Triumph Tiger Thread

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel

Triumph Tiger Thread

Ok... if the GS can have its own thread, so can the Tiger.

Not that I own one yet but I am seriously tempted after taking a few adv bikes out for a scoot. What do current Tiger owners have to offer in the way of advice?
    The model i am looking at is the 800XC but am wondering whether the 1050 would be a better choice? Mostly for road use, commuting, touring and the ability to poke my nose down the odd gravel road or dirt track that takes my fancy.

Any info and just general chattter about these lovely machines welcome
    www.albeephoto.blogspot.com

DuuuuuCaaaaaaTiiiiiiiiiiii

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There's the F800GS?

I know, I know... I'm going now
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Try here , more than you will ever want to know.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

F800GS Try here for if you can stand all the snivelling

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Ok... if the GS can have its own thread, so can the Tiger.

Not that I own one yet but I am seriously tempted after taking a few adv bikes out for a scoot. What do current Tiger owners have to offer in the way of advice?
    The model i am looking at is the 800XC but am wondering whether the 1050 would be a better choice? Mostly for road use, commuting, touring and the ability to poke my nose down the odd gravel road or dirt track that takes my fancy.

Any info and just general chattter about these lovely machines welcome
    If you are going to go down any sort of unsealed road get the 800. I've ridden the 1050 and it's not an adventure bike, it's a road bike with adventure styling pretensions.

The 1080 is really tall, fat at the tank, top heavy, the front tyre is a road size that you may find problems getting an adv tyre for and on the one I rode, which was a shop demo, the fuel injection was so snatchy you'd be off sideways if you weren't extremely careful in gravel.

The 800 is designed to be an adventure bike, not to look kinda like one.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    . What do current Tiger owners have to offer in the way of advice?
    Ask Mark, coldcomfort here on KB, good bastid, he has taken his out in the weeds, the road and two up etc and he is not selling it to you so you will get the true low down!

I followed him on the Back Of Beyond OMC ADV ride and I wanted to turned the DR off and just listen to his bike
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    Cheers Monstaman... went to look up Coldcomfort to private messsage him - and while perusing your profile Mark, noticed your current activity as being perusing the Triumph Tiger Thread lol. So... whats your opinion...?

Bike
    2014 Ducati Diavel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    If you are going to go down any sort of unsealed road get the 800.
    Cheers Eddieb, the only concern I have is that I do a bit of 2 up touring and Im a bit worried that the 800 may struggle with this moreso than the 1050, but I def want the ability to go further afield than the tar seal. Im not looking for 90 degree inclines or trail riding and getting air etc... just a pootle down non roads every now and then.

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Swings & roundabouts mate. The better it is as a 2 up tourer the worser it is off road.

A friend has just bought an XC & does 2 up touring, so far he is a happy camper. He likes the punchy mid range but it still is no 1050.

Just means a few more gear shifts

He had the rear seat reupholstered to give a flatter perch for swmbo as she tended to slide forward.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Cheers Eddieb, the only concern I have is that I do a bit of 2 up touring and Im a bit worried that the 800 may struggle with this moreso than the 1050, but I def want the ability to go further afield than the tar seal. Im not looking for 90 degree inclines or trail riding and getting air etc... just a pootle down non roads every now and then.
    I'm of the opinion, and we all know everyone on KB has one of those , that pretty much any bike over 750cc is suitable for 2 up touring in NZ. Anything more than that only gives you extra torque for passing and hills without having to maybe change down a gear if it's a bigger hill or shorter passing distance, and the false illusion of a bigger penis.

If you go off the seal at all any of the things I mentioned in my post above will be your enemy, with all of them at once you'll swear never to leave the seal again, especially if it's more of a dirt track. Definately try before you buy.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    speed speed SPEED
    Tiger Explorer when its released??? 1215cc.
    It's all Shits and Giggles until someone Giggles and Shits

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    ..pretty much any bike over 750cc is suitable for 2 up touring in NZ. Anything more than that only gives you ... the false illusion of a bigger penis.
    Ha, too true. I find my 750 matches perfectly.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    Sold
    Then again there is the trusty old 06 955i, a proven model and probably priced for the more discerning "all road" rider!

What's that I hear you say, where can I get a nice one of those in pristine condition with lots of extras?

Well, goodness me I just happen to have one for sale .... preferably to a Tiger enthusiast to enjoy!

Seriously though, it looks inevitable that I will have to sell my bike, our ages and life style are a changing, damn it!

I would settle for a fair price going both ways, you could have all our gear too if it fits you! Cheers, John. ... ... (Sigh: looks like she all over rover!)

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    This is also a fairly good 800 forum http://www.tiger800.co.uk/

I took a XC and the new 2012 V-strom for short test rides last weekend and they are remarkably similar bikes.

The ride postions, seats, seat height, screens, brakes, speedo's etc etc are almost identical when you are riding.

The XC is / has:
    - more than $5000 more expensive !!!!! Wee is just under $15,000 ride away and XC just under $20k
    - more power across the entire rev range.
    - uses a lot more go go juice than the wee.
    - more jiggly ride cf the new wee / wee has marginally smoother ride
    - less comfortable pillion
    - more expensive farkles
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Gone
    Cheers Monstaman... went to look up Coldcomfort to private messsage him - and while perusing your profile Mark, noticed your current activity as being perusing the Triumph Tiger Thread lol. So... whats your opinion...?
    As stated, everyone has opinions.. It all boils down to your budget, how far you want to go off the seal, and your riding skill. I'm comfortable with my choice, other's would not be. I endorse the advice to test ride. (A trip into Central and over Dansey's Pass two up sold me on the Tiger). A cheap option is "oldrider" s sale, an economical step up is the V-strom (unexciting as i find them). I personally think you need a 21" front wheel -or maybe that's a reflection of my gravel skills. I'm happy to answer any specific questions if you PM me or just mine the two sources mentioned (tiger.uk and ADV rider). Cheers.
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    As stated, everyone has opinions.. It all boils down to your budget, .
    I know if i had the pingers there would be a 955 sitting next to the XR in the mancave.
    What a Fantastic machine
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Thread Information