Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Myths

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmk View Post
    I invite anyone to come ride with me for a day and have some eats and drinks and laughs and then tell me it's me.
    Sweet, your shout!!!
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    I always thought that SI West coast roads were some of the best NZ has. Except for the occasional tourist in a hire car or campervan doing something totally stupid
    And if state highway ONE is avoided for most of Canterbury ... all (thats left) of the south island will be good.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Dont have one now
    I invite anyone to come ride with me for a day and have some eats and drinks and laughs and then tell me it's me.
    Fuck that, you will try to drag me out of my motel with a horse and you seem to have close calls on corners with other tourists on the wrong side of the road. For a fella that tries to avoid the tourist spots you seem to have tripped over every one of them. I will PM you my address, just send me a bottle of burbon and some fish and chip money, I promise I will think of you when I eat em........

Bike
    Various things
    I would do...but you can't handle a wind up too well.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Always amazes me how fast a thread can get out of control. Always easy to pick 1 sentence from a thread and rip away. Pretty fair observations I thought and once again 90% good. Yes I've done and stayed in a few tourist places but have also stayed in cities, big towns, little towns, villages. I'm not into most touristy places but wanted to get some stuff off my bucket list. Many people told me I have to go to Queenstown, went there got to downtown and got the hell outta there as fast as I could. Exactly the kind of place I normally avoid.
    Can often start a post #2
    Queenstown is one place I have no desire to go....now Reefton on the other hand...

Bike
    KTM 350 SX-F

I'd probably like you, enjoy your company, have a good time, swap e-mails after, promise to keep in touch (but won't), but it'd would still be you.

I am a Kiwi, after all.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    Generally reads like a fair summing up but sounds a bit like you have only done the east coast south island roads? I wouldn't have said the west coast ones were straight for miles.
    BTW I never considered Nelsonians as the most friendly examples, got to get down the west coast or into the southern areas
    agree re: roads not ridden. there are some roads down here that are so fucking awesome I frequently have to stop and knock one off mid-ride cos it makes me so horny
    Ok 6 weeks in and stuck in motel in Nelson cause of rain storm. I have now spent 3 weeks on each island andI would like to dispel the myth that south is better then north. Did north island first and would hear about 10 times a day how the south island is so much better and friendlier. Absolutely not true. First off both island are just as nice just different and the people aren't any more or less friendly on either island. In fact I have come to find most Kiwis in general very standoffish and almost impossible to get out of their motel rooms to have a drink and a chat, with a few exceptions. The people I have had the most fun with have come from somewhere else i.e Dutch, Brits, Germans, Aussies and even met and had good time with some Finns and Belgians.
    I will say that there is obviously less traffic south island and the roads in general are in better condition but by far the more fun motorbike roads are on the north island unless of course you like to sometimes go in a straight line for hours at a time like many areas of the south.
    Also many effin bad Kiwi drivers who for some unknown fucking reason like to cut lanes even on blind corners. Lost count how many times this has happened and caused me an off by Raglan as I was going into a 35km blind curve and some punk came the other way doing about 70 halfway in my lane.

Anyways nice country and mostly good rides and heading back north island for duration of trip to ride the more fun biking roads. And my favorite ride so far is hands down the Coromandel Loop.

Let the debate and inevitable bashing begin.

Later
    no bashing mate, your experience is your experience.
    I will say though, it sounds like youve tried to meet kiwis where youre staying. if kiwis are in a motel, theyre on holiday and wanna be left alone, you wanna meet the locals, not the holidayers. get on rides, and stop everytime there's a pub or a cafe with a few bikes outside and go say hi, and join them for a few KMs, you might find theyre friendlier.

as for kiwi drivers, yeah mate, we are fucking awful our licencing system is a joke.

Enjoy the rest of your stay mate!

Bike
    Yamaha FJR1300
    no bashing mate, your experience is your experience.
    I will say though, it sounds like youve tried to meet kiwis where youre staying. if kiwis are in a motel, theyre on holiday and wanna be left alone, you wanna meet the locals, not the holidayers. get on rides, and stop everytime there's a pub or a cafe with a few bikes outside and go say hi, and join them for a few KMs, you might find theyre friendlier.

as for kiwi drivers, yeah mate, we are fucking awful our licencing system is a joke.

Enjoy the rest of your stay mate![/QUOTE]

Thanks mate.
    But I've done all those things, cafe, pubs, etc. Met a few cool riders and ridden with afew but in general like I said. Ridden with some really good riders and even got passed in the middle of a 45km curve like I was standing still, almost scraping my pegs by a girl. Thought I could ride pretty good but she showed me. Lol Also got passed by 2 guys, I'm doing about 125 and they passed and left me on their back wheels.
    And yea you're drivers are bad and I come to find out you don't even have to have insurance if you don't want to, that I absolutely don't get.

Bike
    Various things
    And yea you're drivers are bad and I come to find out you don't even have to have insurance if you don't want to, that I absolutely don't get.
    Yeah that's fucked up.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Queenstown is one place I have no desire to go....now Reefton on the other hand...
    Reefton ... the distinct smell of coal smoke in the evening ... is something ...

well ... something ...

Reefton ...

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Reefton ... the distinct smell of coal smoke in the evening ... is something ...

well ... something ...

Reefton ...
    It was either there or Upper Hutt and Reefton seemed more up market...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    It was either there or Upper Hutt and Reefton seemed more up market...
    Putting it that way ... I now understand ...

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Only part I haven't been is SE corner of south island, cut out because too much long straight boring roads. Don't take offence it's just my observations and like I said 90% good.
    Hmm, you're missing out a good bit there - the Catlins, ask anybody that has ever ridden it. (And straight it ain't)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    One of my favorite things actually was chilling out in Oamaru for the night.
    I was nice to wake in that place early in the morning and have a coffee out by the docks.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    One of my favorite things actually was chilling out in Oamaru for the night.
    I was nice to wake in that place early in the morning and have a coffee out by the docks.
    +1 on that. good breakfast, good coffee and a hot shower when we got cold n wet at the March Hare.....beauty

Thread Information