Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Myths

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    [QUOTE=jmmk;Thanks mate.
    But I've done all those things, cafe, pubs, etc. Met a few cool riders and ridden with afew but in general like I said.[/QUOTE]

Mate sorry but if you have had that experience? I would look to yourself, and I dont mean that in a nasty way. Kiwi's are a funny bunch, they appear standoffish to some, they are just sussing you out. Getting in their face? (loud, up front) is the sure way for them to decide your a F**kn whinging Pom etc, and they then treat you accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmk View Post
    Ok 6 weeks in and stuck in motel in Nelson cause of rain storm. I have now spent 3 weeks on each island andI would like to dispel the myth that south is better then north. Did north island first and would hear about 10 times a day how the south island is so much better and friendlier. Absolutely not true.
    BOLLOX, did you ride the Southern Scenic route? Did you do the Catlins? Central Otago? the ride to Te Anau via riverton, tuatapere? All I can see is you rode the tourist roads. Before you call me a bloody kiwi? I'd accept it as a compliment, I am ENGLISh by birth, KIWI by choice and lived here over 20yrs now. I've ridden both islands east/west coasts and centrally. Down south there is a lot of Scots/Dutch influence, understand that culture and you'll be sweet! I have seen kiwi's welcome complete strangers into their homes to stay, or for a good evenings beer and barbie; just because that's how kiwi's are.

First off both island are just as nice just different and the people aren't any more or less friendly on either island. In fact I have come to find most Kiwis in general very standoffish and almost impossible to get out of their motel rooms to have a drink and a chat, with a few exceptions. The people I have had the most fun with have come from somewhere else i.e Dutch, Brits, Germans, Aussies and even met and had good time with some Finns and Belgians.
    I will say that there is obviously less traffic south island and the roads in general are in better condition but by far the more fun motorbike roads are on the north island unless of course you like to sometimes go in a straight line for hours at a time like many areas of the south.
    Also many effin bad Kiwi drivers who for some unknown fucking reason like to cut lanes even on blind corners. Lost count how many times this has happened and caused me an off by Raglan as I was going into a 35km blind curve and some punk came the other way doing about 70 halfway in my lane.

No different to France, Italy etc. THe roads here are narrow, treat them as you would an English country lane... just kiwi's are used to them and drive quicker, trust me I would LOVE to re ride some of the old country roads I used to having lived here. But saying that I do agree that not all Kiwi drivers are considerate of other roads users.

Anyways nice country and mostly good rides and heading back north island for duration of trip to ride the more fun biking roads. And my favorite ride so far is hands down the Coromandel Loop.

Let the debate and inevitable bashing begin. <<< YUP whinging POM, fuck off home

Later
    Nowhere in this thread did I say I haven't had a good time. Just some general observations and it's been 90% good. I like to do stuff as well as ride and on nice days after have a drink or 2 outside room and meet and talk and learn about other people and places and have some laughs but most Kiwis and some others you couldn't drag out of their motel rooms with a team of horses.

JMMK to be honest mate what you have said there is exactly what will make the average Kiwi treat you as just how they did, either a bloody whinger, or, too bloody loud and in your face. Try having a quiet beer and a chat and let the Kiwi's 'make the first move' so to speak. I think you'll have a very different experience.

I went walking and swimming and flew a Gyro copter at Mt. Manganui, flew a stunt plane and skydived Abel Tasman, cave rafting by Westport, swam with dolphins and sea kayaked in Kaikoura, hot pooled at Mauruiya Springs, swam in lakes by Alexandra (my favorite town on south island)and other stuff and have zig zagged across both islands covering about 80% of NZ. Only part I haven't been is SE corner of south island, cut out because too much long straight boring roads. Don't take offence it's just my observations and like I said 90% good

. Really dont know what to answer here, mate I rode Europe, Ireland, UK plenty for 17 yrs then moved here to NZ. Yes Europe has some amazing rides and scenery, but NZ hads it all in one small country. No other country can you be riding in Fiordland and 4 hrs later be riding through countryside similar to Cornwall, then into valley's, mountains, and the plains like Europe, all within hours of each other without using Autobahns and Motorways. I dont know what your expectation was or is of NZ, almost seems to me that you have an expectation to be entertained and amused and if not? it's a shit holiday. Well it would be, coz kiwi's dun work like that.
    I have never been back and have no inclination to go back (UK)...... But I would absolutely disagree with your summation of New Zealanders as a people, and I would as a Motorcyclist tell anyone NZ is GODZONE for riding, especialy the roads down south.

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Yamaha FJR1300
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Mate sorry but if you have had that experience? I would look to yourself, and I dont mean that in a nasty way. Kiwi's are a funny bunch, they appear standoffish to some, they are just sussing you out. Getting in their face? (loud, up front) is the sure way for them to decide your a F**kn whinging Pom etc, and they then treat you accordingly.
    What a wanker you are dude. What part of 90% good did you not understand? General observations and the cool Kiwis I did meet 100% agreed with me. If you ever run into Hawkeye ask him about me and see if I'm not fun and easy to get along with. Good lord I'm going to miss NZ but not some of your drivers and not some of you.

Bike
    Various things
    What a wanker you are dude. What part of 90% good did you not understand? General observations and the cool Kiwis I did meet 100% agreed with me. If you ever run into Hawkeye ask him about me and see if I'm not fun and easy to get along with. Good lord I'm going to miss NZ but not some of your drivers and not some of you.
    Having now met jmmk I can now say he's actually a=ok for a Moose Rooter!

I'll even try and take money of him next time he comes to NZ.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Having now met jmmk I can now say he's actually a=ok for a Moose Rooter!

I'll even try and take money of him next time he comes to NZ.
    Nice one Pete.

I thought this was a funny thread, jmmk sounds OK yet he gets attacked so much for saying things most of us probably think anyway.

The driving is one good example, I cringe every time I'm on the road following and watching the bad drivers that can't hold a lane and are all over the place. Highway 58 Paremata to Pauatahanui is a classic for this. What is with crossing no passing lines and the like? Generally it is the slower drivers too, continually dabbing their brakes and swerving all over the lines, not the F1 racers straightening the curve. Mrs merv says to me it is probably the people that were no good at colouring in as kids and can't stay inside the lines.

As for Hawkeye, good on ya mate for looking after jmmk.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    a Moose Rooter!
    jeebus

that's keen
    F M S

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    It's been a pleasure having Jeff stay with me. He used my place as a base when he first arrived, when he came down from doing the North and then when he came back from the South. Today, he left to go the Aus. As Pete has said he is a-ok and has a wicked sense of humor.
    And he can ride. He thoroughly enjoyed his stay in NZ and knows he will be welcome to stay at my place should he come back to NZ.
    In typical KB fashion, he was flamed for pointing out (as Merv has already said) his personal views of the 10% he did not enjoy about NZ.
    FFS +90% isn't a bad recommendation.
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    Yup I'm a WANKER, so get over it Ivor Biggun.... if the Holiday was 90% good? Then if your post had been 90% positive instead of a 'footnote it was 90% OK, reaction may have been different. And if you read between the lines there was allso a bit of dry humour in it.
    BTW I know Hawkeye, He's one of the few riders I trust in group situation. Even if the bugger used to follow me and, QUOTE: "if his lights dont go on, I know I dont need to brake, if they do go on? It's a sharp one coming up, if he falls off? I need to brake! :
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    07 kx250f
    NZ needs to tell those Somalians to fuck off. they come here, take their 20g the govt gives them, take their free govt housing and breed like flies in the flats and get money from the govt they get to look after their kids...

Bike
    2 black ones..black is alway's good
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    BTW I know Hawkeye, He's one of the few riders I trust in group situation. Even if the bugger used to follow me and, QUOTE: "if his lights dont go on, I know I dont need to brake, if they do go on? It's a sharp one coming up, if he falls off? I need to brake! :
    LOL!!! Ain't seen you for a while. Where you been hiding?
    I'm only wearing black until they develop something darker

We came, We listened, And in one voice we answered
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentNz View Post
    NZ needs to tell those Somalians to fuck off. they come here, take their 20g the govt gives them, take their free govt housing and breed like flies in the flats and get money from the govt they get to look after their kids...
    Having dealt with Somalians. And a person who tries to help everyone.....
    I actually agree with your statement.....

Which is sad when I think about it.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    LOL!!! Ain't seen you for a while. Where you been hiding?
    Working shifts now mate, can start at 3am or be working till 1am, just havent been able to go on the rides, tilll last week.

Thread Information