Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RF 900 vs RF 900 R - difference?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSR 600 K6

RF 900 vs RF 900 R - difference?

Hi guys/gals.

Anyone out there know if there's a difference between a Suzuki RF 900 and a Suzuki RF 900 R?

I'm looking at buying one (either a 1997 or 1998).

Cheers,

Chris
    -Chris

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    The RF900 was issued in several forms, for different markets (countries).
    Some were rated at 100ishHP and some at 120ishHP. Maybe that's the difference?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Ask Riffer. He's the RF900 know it all dude !!

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    big heavy & remarkably ugly, but with an inner beauty that doesn't really grow on you.

However they are very cheap.

With some limited mods can be a useful bike, do a search on here & you'll find the threads maybe search under my & riffer's name. Don't get too hung up on full power, they aren't the sort of bike where 10hp makes any diff.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    Two names for the same bike.
    If you are going to get one, look for an E-02 (Pommy spec) or E-24 (Aussie spec). Both of which are full power examples. They even have 1.4mm more cam lift.
    The RF900 is an under-rated bike.
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pussy View Post
    . . .
    The RF900 is an under-rated bike.
    I think its the most over rated bike that is classified as underrated. If that makes sense.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I think its the most over rated bike that is classified as underrated. If that makes sense.
    I chose to understand you to mean the RF900 is the most under-rated bike, as voted by the most people...

Did you see what Drew did with his cheap, old clunker in F1 at Manfield recently?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    RF900R and RF900 are the same bike. In fact there is no RF900. Just the RF900R.

Possibly the confusion lies in the model codes Suzuki used.

1994 - R
    1995 - S
    1996 - T
    1997 - V
    1998 - W

Just to make it trickier, in 1995 they released two (S) models. The S1 and S2. All RF900Rs up until the S2 model have preload only on the front forks, and the rear brake is held on by a combination spacer, torque arm which plugged into the swingarm.

From the S2 model onwards, the front forks have damping as well as rebound, and the rear brake was changed to the one off the GSXR1100, which used a torque arm which goes to the back of the motor. They also changed the alternator cush drive and the clutch (less strong clutch basket from S2 onwards).

I took my RF900RS1 out for a ride last night actually. It's been in storage for a while. Couldn't believe how small it feels after riding the Bandit for a while, and how low the bars are (and how high the footpegs) compared to the Bandit. Also how much better it handles and stops.

I must fix that gearbox (2nd gear dogs have gone).
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    The RF900 was issued in several forms, for different markets (countries).
    Some were rated at 100ishHP and some at 120ishHP. Maybe that's the difference?
    There are three types of RFs. The E-00 (88HP), the E-04/E-02 (120HP), and the E-28/E-03 (110HP). There was also a limited edition Manta Ray model made for the Aussie market which was pretty much the E04 model. Easiest way to tell them apart is by the speedos. The E04/E02s have 300km/hr speedos, the E-28/E-03s have 200mph speedos, and the E-00 (Japanese Domestic Market) has a 180km/hr speedo.

Here's the country codes:

E-00 Japan (domestic home market)
    E-01 General (general export)
    E-02 England (UK)
    E-03 USA (America) except California
    E-04 France
    E-06 South Africa
    E-15 Finland
    E-16 Norway
    E-17 Sweden
    E-18 Switzerland
    E-19 EU (European Union)
    E-21 Belgium
    E-22 Germany (former West-Germany)
    E-24 Australia
    E-25 Netherlands (Holland)
    E-28 Canada
    E-33 California
    E-34 Italy
    E-39 Austria
    E-53 Spain
    P-37 Brazil

See here for more info on how Suzuki codes work:
    http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    BTW in case you were wondering, a K&N airfilter and aftermarket pipe (or removing the restrictors in the Suzuki pipe) help lots!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I chose to understand you to mean the RF900 is the most under-rated bike, as voted by the most people...

Did you see what Drew did with his cheap, old clunker in F1 at Manfield recently?
    Meh, maybe I'm being a curmudgeon, I had my RF for 7 years as a 2 seater backup for my single seat YZFSP. the comparison was made every time I rode the RF it felt like a crudely suspended heavy bus. And that was after a lot of pissing around with springs.

It was bought to replace my GS1100G. I knew I'd own an RF one day as they were so cheap. It addressed all the faults of the GS, - stiffer frame, better brakes. But by the time I sold it I had no love for it & if I could have one of them back for free it would be the GS no question even for a second.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Meh, maybe I'm being a curmudgeon, I had my RF for 7 years as a 2 seater backup for my single seat YZFSP. the comparison was made every time I rode the RF it felt like a crudely suspended heavy bus. And that was after a lot of pissing around with springs.
    Of course it bloody did. One is a sports bike, the other a tourer.

I sing the praises of my rotten old RF a lot, and with damn good reason.

Have ya still got the YZF? We could go to a track day and do some unofficial comparison testing though, you might be surprised.

Bike
    suzuki

It was bought to replace my GS1100G. I knew I'd own an RF one day as they were so cheap. It addressed all the faults of the GS, - stiffer frame, better brakes. But by the time I sold it I had no love for it & if I could have one of them back for free it would be the GS no question even for a second.
    Hey how come you've got time to muck around here, aren't you flat out as a Ventriloquists doll for kiddies Christmas parties at this time of the year?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSR 600 K6

Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    There are three types of RFs. The E-00 (88HP), the E-04/E-02 (120HP), and the E-28/E-03 (110HP). There was also a limited edition Manta Ray model made for the Aussie market which was pretty much the E04 model. Easiest way to tell them apart is by the speedos. The E04/E02s have 300km/hr speedos, the E-28/E-03s have 2200mph speedos, and the E-00 (Japanese Domestic Market) has a 180km/hr speedo.

Here's the country codes:

E-00 Japan (domestic home market)
    E-01 General (general export)
    E-02 England (UK)
    E-03 USA (America) except California
    E-04 France

See here for more info on how Suzuki codes work:
    http://www.suzukicycles.org/_misc/identification.shtml
    Thanks Riffer. Very helpful stats. More facts than opinions - I appreciate that.

It looks like it's an E02/E04 from the pics. It has a 190mph/300kmh combination speedo.

Ta for your responses.
    P.S. For those of you all about power, insanely dangerous speeds and how big your cock is on track day, I am actually looking for a sport tourer, so I think this one'l do just fine. Thanks for your posts.
    -Chris

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMH View Post
    Thanks Riffer. Very helpful stats. More facts than opinions - I appreciate that.

It looks like it's an E02/E04 from the pics. It has a 190mph/300kmh combination speedo.

Ta for your responses.
    P.S. For those of you all about power, insanely dangerous speeds and how big your cock is on track day, I am actually looking for a sport tourer, so I think this one'l do just fine. Thanks for your posts.
    My money would be with the E-03 mate. If your main numbers are the MPH, it's the American model. The European model is KMH only.

Either way, the RF900 is a good bike. I still think they're more sports than tourer, but they will tour just fine.

Thread Information