Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RF 900 vs RF 900 R - difference?

Bike
    Yamaha MT09 Tracer

thread dredge

heres a question for the rf900 brains trust, has anybody used the f1 engineering clipons for added comfort? just discussing the idea with my flat mate, he is tossing over ideas for getting the 'bars up and back a bit. apparently the f1's go on with orig brake lines and cables etc which is a bonus but im wondering if they make enough of a difference to be worthwhile? i remember mike nash mentioning them in kiwirider, having fitted them to his rf but dont recall what his verdict was. anyway, ideas and opinions will be considered..

cheers, eddie.
    'the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'

Cpt Edmund Blackadder

Bike
    Suzuki RF900 RV
    We'll dig this thread up again

Early Bandit 1200 top yoke and pattern bars ....

Not a straight swap, you'll need a longer top brake hose (I've got twin lines direct to each caliper) and knock up a bush for the centre stem bolt. Changing the ignition switch over can be a pain due to the security bolts fitted. Light switch wiring and clutch hose reach ok. If you get the right bars (I was lucky) it clears the fairing on both locks. Superbly comfy though with my Corbin seat, 200 miles without aches

I've gone up 1 tooth on the front sprocket which has dropped the revs by 1000 for a given speed in top, so it's very lazy and gives better mileage.

Bike
    1996 ZX6-R
    Nice looking bike bro

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfitter View Post
    We'll dig this thread up again

Early Bandit 1200 top yoke and pattern bars ....

Not a straight swap, you'll need a longer top brake hose (I've got twin lines direct to each caliper) and knock up a bush for the centre stem bolt. Changing the ignition switch over can be a pain due to the security bolts fitted. Light switch wiring and clutch hose reach ok. If you get the right bars (I was lucky) it clears the fairing on both locks. Superbly comfy though with my Corbin seat, 200 miles without aches

I've gone up 1 tooth on the front sprocket which has dropped the revs by 1000 for a given speed in top, so it's very lazy and gives better mileage.
    Like those bars,been trying to find a set that wont involve cutting the fairings a bit on my old TLS but no joy so far,few lads up your way ie England on the TL site have risers with dirt bike bars which are great but as i say do not want to cut the fairing...mines a bastard odd colour which nobody seems to be able to mix paint for though did get some from England years back to paint the undertray,since closed there doors.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Like those bars,been trying to find a set that wont involve cutting the fairings a bit on my old TLS but no joy so far,few lads up your way ie England on the TL site have risers with dirt bike bars which are great but as i say do not want to cut the fairing...mines a bastard odd colour which nobody seems to be able to mix paint for though did get some from England years back to paint the undertray,since closed there doors.
    Ive done that to my VTR. Means I can ride much longer and pain free. I think the trick would be bars with good setback or a up and back riser.

I had to cut my fairings a little but its a common colour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    1911 Royal Enfield
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive done that to my VTR. Means I can ride much longer and pain free
    What a shame

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Quote Originally Posted by fridayflash View Post
    heres a question for the rf900 brains trust, has anybody used the f1 engineering clipons for added comfort? just discussing the idea with my flat mate, he is tossing over ideas for getting the 'bars up and back a bit. apparently the f1's go on with orig brake lines and cables etc which is a bonus but im wondering if they make enough of a difference to be worthwhile? i remember mike nash mentioning them in kiwirider, having fitted them to his rf but dont recall what his verdict was. anyway, ideas and opinions will be considered..

cheers, eddie.
    Maybe these are worth a look?

http://www.apexmfg.com/all-products/apex-clip-ons

I've got them on the Ducati and they made a hell of a difference.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Dont think theres a need to cut fairing , you may need further research...

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=154-187

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
    Dont think theres a need to cut fairing , you may need further research...

http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=154-187
    The pic on the website shows a TLS with fairing cut.Cheers though mate.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The pic on the website shows a TLS with fairing cut.Cheers though mate.
    Narrower bars do the same thing, up sit a bit more upright and helps. Also makes the bike more stable at speed as rider input has less effect. I found on me old bandit cutting the bars down a bit made a big improvement.

Just a thought.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Narrower bars do the same thing, up sit a bit more upright and helps. Also makes the bike more stable at speed as rider input has less effect. I found on me old bandit cutting the bars down a bit made a big improvement.

Just a thought.
    Interesting perspective. Less control is a better ride. Think I'll give that a miss and just relax a bit instead.

Bike

Just a thought.
    Ive ridden a TLS with no fairing and risers with dirtbike bars...absolute fucking hoot and felt like the tard from hell,which well may be a better option i reckon.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Interesting perspective. Less control is a better ride. Think I'll give that a miss and just relax a bit instead.
    Depends how, what and where you are riding. I run narrow bars. I didnt say you had to.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Depends how, what and where you are riding. I run narrow bars. I didnt say you had to.
    I was making a point sarcastically man.

Narrower bars reduces the amount of movement at your hands for the same response. A twitchy bike will become more so, and slow steering bike becomes harder work. By all means run what's comfy. But going narrow means less time to react, and finer adjustments are required.

Anyhoo, I'm off to thrash the shit out of my RF.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What a fucken hoot that was. Then I rode an RSV4 Tuono back over the hill...I'd fucken have one of those!

Thread Information