Page 48 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: Race chassis

Bike
    mostly GG 280 trials
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If you've got the spec of your rods you're doing better than us here in NZ....The major welding suppliers here only supply what they call "manganese bronze rod" and "nickel bronze rod" over the counter. Yes some rods with known spec are available to special order but if you don't know what's available they won't tell you...
    I went in to one of my local suppliers with a photo copy of the rod spec page from "The Racing Motorcycle" and it was greeted with astonishment. Where did you get this ? Can we have a copy ? Ha bloody Ha.
    From my own enquiries, the manganese bronze rod is roughly the old basic sifbronze and the nickel rod is pretty low nickel content.
    http://www.abracor.com/en/products?p...8-164048cc5082

This is what I bought.
    Never had any luck on local shops either, those guys had a very cheap product (around 50% less than local shops) and good service, was around 120 euros for 5kg pack.
    Another way to get some small quantity for er-cusi-a welding rods, is to find someone that weld copper alloys with MIG. MIG wire works very good with TIG, I guess its the very same product, although, 1mm thick wire does consume fast

That΄s a funny story, talking about the great book, is still my motorcycle bible and Michael Moore was one of the responsibles

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dark art View Post
    http://www.abracor.com/en/products?p...8-164048cc5082
    MIG wire works very good with TIG, I guess its the very same product, although, 1mm thick wire does consume fast
    I bought 3 rolls of steel mig wire cheap, spools had broken and in order to get a decent size rod for TIG, I used an old hand drill to wind two suitable lengths tightly together - looks like a thoroughly professional job (and very artistic) - hopefully it will work ok. ie when I finally get into welding, - so far, so good.
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    GPR150
    Quote Originally Posted by WilDun View Post
    I bought 3 rolls of steel mig wire cheap, spools had broken and in order to get a decent size rod for TIG, I used an old hand drill to wind two suitable lengths tightly together - looks like a thoroughly professional job (and very artistic) - hopefully it will work ok. ie when I finally get into welding, - so far, so good.
    s mic duck lol

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Quote Originally Posted by mr bucketracer View Post
    s mic duck lol
    Wot ?
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    GPR150
    Wot ?
    Scrooge McDuck lol , just get the right welding wire , not that easy for us old guys at the best of times
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    Exercycle
    Scrooge McDuck lol , just get the right welding wire , not that easy for us old guys at the best of times
    I agree he's a scrooge, lol. Cunning B.

What suppliers in the central NI do you use Scott ? Anyone local to you who carries good rods, bronze and steel ? Gas in your area ?

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    Yeah, guess you're right there, but it's either that or sit looking out the window waiting for death to take me out of my misery........ f**k that! so I'll just remain a (happy) old scrooge and keep blabbering on!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    GPR150
    I agree he's a scrooge, lol. Cunning B.

What suppliers in the central NI do you use Scott ? Anyone local to you who carries good rods, bronze and steel ? Gas in your area ?
    i get all my rods from a place techweld , gas from air Air Liquide . its the hiring of the gas that kills it
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    GPR150
    Yeah, guess you're right there, but it's either that or sit looking out the window waiting for death to take me out of my misery........ f**k that! so I'll just remain a (happy) old scrooge and keep blabbering on!
    get some 1.6mm rod , for something like 10- 15 dollars i get over a kg of rod , lasts a long time , i have tryed to tig with mig rod and find it shivles to nothing , very hard to weld been around that 1mm in diametre
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    Exercycle
    i get all my rods from a place techweld , gas from air Air Liquide
    As expected - neither of them are down here....

Bike
    1944 RE 1
    get some 1.6mm rod , for something like 10- 15 dollars i get over a kg of rod , lasts a long time , i have tryed to tig with mig rod and find it shivles to nothing , very hard to weld been around that 1mm in diametre
    Just reinforces my theory - two or 3 migs twisted together, I have easily enough to see me out now, for about $20!
    It was actually the supplier who told me to do that, as he didn't happen to have any TIG rods on the shelf at the time and I guess that he could see that I was a bit of a scrooge and so looking for a lower price.

I find that a lot of suppliers will give me a good deal ie welding suppliers, steel suppliers, foundry suppliers and the scrapyard guys too - There are a lot of good guys around as well as villains! - I haven't even needed to produce my gold card yet!

Oh, BTW, very few Aucklanders actually belong to the "latte set" only the self important wankers who make up about 1% of the population and like to get themselves on TV. (definitely no bucketeers)!
    Strokers Galore!

Bike
    Exercycle
    yeah, I do the same for Fe welding rod, bulk pack lasts years - even using it as tie wire, lol...

Have you tried TIG with 20G (.9mm) stainless tie wire yet ? You may be surprised...

Bike
    mostly GG 280 trials
    yeah, I do the same for Fe welding rod, bulk pack lasts years - even using it as tie wire, lol...

Have you tried TIG with 20G (.9mm) stainless tie wire yet ? You may be surprised...
    Tie wire and fence wire have been widely used with gas weld, never heard with TIG, though. The mild steel (er-70s6 seem common) TIG rods seem to produce a much cleaner puddle than the MIG wire, it flow better as well, probably has higher silicon content.

Here in Europe is resonably easy to get welding rods, most of them are 5kg pack, wich makes very expensive for special rods. Can you guys import rods from Europe or USA?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by dark art View Post
    Tie wire and fence wire have been widely used with gas weld, never heard with TIG, though. The mild steel (er-70s6 seem common) TIG rods seem to produce a much cleaner puddle than the MIG wire, it flow better as well, probably has higher silicon content.

Here in Europe is resonably easy to get welding rods, most of them are 5kg pack, wich makes very expensive for special rods. Can you guys import rods from Europe or USA?
    The size of the market in Europe of course makes finding these products easier. Yes, we can import, several places here will get them in to order as well.
    Just not easy...One of the drawbacks of living in paradise....

Bike
    YLR150RR and a RD350LC
    As expected - neither of them are down here....
    Air Liquide is in Hornby, its the old Carbonic Ice, there is a gas supplier in Rolleston I think, Ill find out soon enough
    The Welding place in annex road can get owner bottles filled so no need to go to BOC
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Thread Information