Thread: EN 125 overhaul

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Put some clubman bars on it
    ooh, thats a cool idea

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Can you link me to the chain breaker? I want one, easier than using the angle grinder...
    This was the same one I got, but I think mine was just outta the packet or something. It was a little cheaper then this.

However some looking reveals some more good deals
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-474084449.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-473634090.htm

or this is you really like comprehensive tool sets
    Last edited by nathanwhite; 12th May 2012 at 11:04. Reason: links were broken
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanwhite View Post
    ooh, thats a cool idea

This was the same one I got, but I think mine was just outta the packet or something. It was a little cheaper then this.

However some looking reveals some more good deals
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-474084449.htm
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-473634090.htm

or this is you really like comprehensive tool sets
    Clubman bars rule!

Some decent deals there, my dad made a chain breaker for push bikes years ago, might see if he can whip up a beefier one.
    That full on kit is very cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    No pictures in this update sorry barely touched the bike in the last coupla days, 'cept to semi polish the rims somewhat.

The important thing is that I went to a bucket practice meet today and had a look at some of the FXR150's there. They have the same caliper as my EN, just for the other side of the wheel. So if I can find one on the cheap, I'll just have to flip the wheel and swap the forks around and I'll have a working bike!

Buckets were seriously fun too. Had a blast today

Bike
    Rattlecan blue
    If the ignition switch only has two wires coming out of it consider replacing it with a telemechanique switch. Not sure where you'd get one or what they are worth as I got mine out of the trash at work but if you want to check one out come and see me at buckets sometime.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    OK! got stuff done today, though not all I wanted, but more on that later,

Cleaned up these side panel frame cover thingys (they go between the footpeg and the pillion footpeg)

Photobucket

At the same time I was thinking of rearsetting the footpegs and after a minute scratching my head I worked out that where I wanted them to be was right where the pillion footpegs are already. Which is sweet, I just have to work out a way of getting the shifter back there also.

Photobucket

I also got my hands on a FXR150 caliper the other day The only major system I need to get running now is the front brake.

Photobucket

So I started pulling the caliper apart to clean it out, started with the bleed thing (note my terminology)...Lotsa rust there going to have to give it a decent clean.

Photobucket

Then I popped down and picked up a nice little blowtorch to try and force the bolts out with heat
    They didn't have any of the pistol grip/stick it on a bench type though

Photobucket

Funnily enough however only one bolt stuck, and that one was not coming out for heat, WD40 or anything else I threw at it.

In the end I ended up putting the frame bracket in the vice and hitting the caliper bracket with a hammer. Did the trick

Photobucket

Photobucket

and then pulled one of the bolts in the caliper that holds the pads.

Photobucket

The other one however would not give. For heat, for cold, for wd40, or for massive amounts of torque. The bolts are quite unusual in design so I can't strip the head (too much, I have some already and had to use a allen key .5mm bigger.) ANY help on how to get that out would be very much appreciated.

While that was happening I got into cleaning the pillion footpegs (surprising how many bits in one footpeg)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't manage to get a picture of them assembled (too irritated about the brake pad bolt) but the are all nice and shiny (not quite DL shiny though)

The bolt in the caliper is still not out, I've left it covered in wd40 in hopes that some of it will wick down the thread overnight and help it get out.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Bit more pottering done, I'm down to a shoestring budget for ... ... well everything really, Rego for the scorpio is due in a couple of weeks, so I'm still scratching my head as to how i'm going to pay that. (here's hoping for extra shifts tomorrow) let alone the tools and materials i'm finding myself needing.

anyway, thats not what's important, just an explanation of why things are going slowly. Onto the bike!

Started off with the bar ends, all lovely bent and scratched from where the bike was dropped (and possibly slid)

Photobucket

So pulled it all apart, cleaned it, blued where the bolts were bent (because what other reason would you have a gas torch for? ) and straightened

Photobucket

and back together all nice shiny and straight

Photobucket

Now eventually i'm going to replace the heavy metal ends with some nice slider material, to help save the bike when I come off (because its going to happen eventually) but for the meantime, they are not too bad

Then I turned my attention to the shifter. As i'm rearsetting the footpegs by quite a bit, I'm going to have to do drastic things to get the controls going also.
    In this case I think a longer bolt will be the easy and simple answer.

Photobucket

Funny story here, it ended up being not so simple and easy, after several hours of scratching my head, measuring, comparing threads etc I finally worked out that the reason the long bolt was only working on one of the connector things. The other one has a left hand thread

So then I started thinking about how I would get them connected now I knew how they went, and tried a couple of things (that didn't work)

Photobucket

and about this time, Dad stuck his head around the corner, pointed out how silly this was, and said he'll snaffle a 20mm long steel rod and a 6mm tap from work. Easy.

So then it was time for the rear brake. Now the car pedal type thing that it is won't move as easily as the shifter so something else is going to be needed.
    I had a look in the small shed and saw my old push bike I used to do a paper run on. Hmmm.....

Photobucket

Grabbed it and started stripping off the controls. Who said the rear brake HAD to be controlled by your foot?

Photobucket

15min after that (when I worked out that the cable was not nearly long enough) I grabbed the control cable from the rear gear selector, (cleaning them as I went of course) and look at that! I have 3/4 of the solution for the rear brake sorted.

Photobucket

There is plenty of cable left over for fine tuning the length later on.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

I'm going to have to go to a push bike shop and get the ends of the cable crimped with an end that suits the lever and that little thingamabob that turns the rear brake drum.

And that was all I planned to do.

Then I looked sideways at the handlebar on the pushbike and thought, hmmm.....

Photobucket

I think so.

Its a little fatter in the middle, but that's nothing that can't be worked around. The benefits are that I get a workable handlebar for free and its' the same size (on the ends anyway) as the stock bar

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Wicked update man! Go the fat bars
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    ok! so things are going quite slowly at the moment ("no duh!" I hear you say) and I do have a reason for that.

I present, my Dozer scene which has altogether too much of my blood sweat and tears poured into it.

EDIT: I don't know if the embed worked, cant see it. If not heres the link
    http://vimeo.com/44215213

Everything there except the excavator and car modelling I did. All the textures, Environment, Animation etc. However back to the main topic!

The fat bars had the obvious disadvantage of being fat in the middle which means they didn't fit my risers. So I tried the handlebars from another bike we had lying around.

No go. The centre section is too narrow for risers too fit properly too.

Hrm.

Leaving that for the time being, I moved onto getting the controls moved to go with the new footpeg locations.

The coupling thingy is just 10mm rod with a 6mm tapped hole drilled in the middle. Because the shifter side of the connecting rod has a left hand thread, I've used the original connecting rod and coupled it to the longer one.

The new shifting rod in it's entirety

Then to get the actual foot control in place I got a shim type thing made up. (because I don't have a metal lathe ) 15mm steel rod turned down to just under 12mm to fit inside the shifter. The flange at one side is to hold the shifter in place and the step down on the other side holds a washer.

Here it all is mocked up on the bike, the shifter is hanging low, but it all looks like it's going to work.

Annnnnnnd it doesn't.

It's not nearly as obvious in the pictures, but not only is the rod bent, the coupler is hard up against the frame
    The only workaround I see is getting a new shifter with the connector on the other side. which I imagine is not going to be the easiest.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Space the shifter out.

Bike shop wont crimp the ends. Unless you can find one that hasnt moved on from the 70s. Bicycle brake cable will not handle the loads, gear cable even less so.

Bicycle handlebars are 25.4mm and motorcycle are 22.2mm(unless over sized).
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Ok, coupla things done. First and most importantly, the shifter is done.

Took another crack at the brake caliper, acting on one of the most non destructive suggestions I had, I dripped some battery acid on top of the bolt and leave it to work it's way down whatever gap there is hopefully getting rid of the corrosion.

didn't work.

Onto the next one, heating the entire caliper in the oven and then spraying freeze on the bolt. Also didn't work, and now the kitchen smells like various burned lubricants and solvents. oops.

Turning my attention to the shifter, my dad (awesome guy) managed to flog 6mm bolts of varying lengths and a spacer for me to try on the shifter

The spacer worked brilliantly

except it was a little too small and didn't hold the shifter in place horizontally

So I drilled a bigger hole in a whole bunch of washers and slid them over the spacer to keep the shifter in the place.

However now, due to the positioning of the shifter, when I moved the shifter it started bending on the pivot now

After a bit of pondering I flipped the other end of the shifter, chopped ~15mm off the connecting rod to make it all fit and Voila!

Hooray!!

Then as a time filler, I made up spacers to compensate for the gap left behind from the plate things under the footpeg and shifter.

I started looking at this space wondering if I could do anything about the gaping chunk on the engine.

Turns out I could. I got the cover and cut very carefully (not) into it where the shifter rod was sticking out.

and look at that.

maybe I took out a little more then I should have, but it looks a damn sight better then it did.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Coupla things for the future,

Despite the fat bars thought I had, I've found some clip ons on TM which look pretty good. So I'm probably going to go for those instead of any bars.

Also with the cable controlled rear brake, I'll get a shop to make up one the right length when I get the clip ons. With a shop made one, I can have the two end made to fit then connectors I have.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    You want a 4 piston caliper instead of that little toy? Just make an adapter bracket and BOOM, big brakes.
    If you want one, PM me, I'll strip one down/clean it and send it up. Might even have some okay pads too.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Nice camera work young Doogle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    You should have seen me taking that photo of the bike side shifter rod. Lying down I was, almost under the bike.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    +1 10 char
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Thread Information