Thread: EN 125 overhaul

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Nice camera work young Doogle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    +1 10 char
    Thank you both. My best pics always seem to be the one's I don't put much thought into for some reason.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    A new part arrived in the mail yesterday

So out in the garage to get it installed or at least the bike prepped for installation
    However once I got the airbox out I realized that it's still quite a busy area with battery/cables and other bits and bobs there

and it was about this time I started to seriously think I would have to relocate the battery. What. A. Pity.

I'm actually quite liking this idea because it's something I've never done before and I repurposing/rebuilding/making stuff from scratch. It's a surprisingly rewarding feeling taking scrap metal or stock and making something useful/efficient/pretty from it. (makes me want a milling machine also)

So out the rear mudguard / undertray thing came (again)

and when having a look around I saw these two mount points that I thought would be prefect for attaching the new battery holder to.

So it would sit something like so

So down I went to mitre 10 to get some Aluminium stock and I'll report back when I've made it up.

A little before the trip to the hardware store however I had some time on my hands and I thought "wouldn't it be cool if I had a dash of some form?" I've always liked the idea of a gear indicator and was a little unhappy that was going, so I decided that it wouldn't. To get rid of it completely also would entail cutting a cable out of the engine and that was something I wasn't totally willing to commit to just yet. So I started cannibalising the dash.

Five of these lights are the gear indicators and one is the neutral indicator. The rest are various idiot lights and dash-lighter-uppers.

Unfortunately to get the two sets of lights apart I had to destroy the plug on the other cable. (and Yes I mean destroy)

This was necessary because the negatives of ALL the lights (with individual cables no less) went into this other cable.

So it's all out now and when I find/buy something to use as a dash I'll get that all working.

In the next day or two I'll have the battery holder done and mounted, wires and components tidied and the pod filter installed. I haven't done it yet because I want to finish poking pulling and twisting things in that area first so I don't damage it. hehe, it's shiny.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I'm doing the same thing with the battery to my GN so it looks cool without covers on I love custom dash units! I made the one for the 600, hours of plastic welding, filling and sanding and it's fucking awesomesauce.
    I'm liking this build!
    Hopefully will get time to do that brake caliper for you and inspect the master cylinder too
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Have a look at C2345.com, you can get all sorts of bit there, chain guards, piston kits...anything you want, cheap. I've found a set of clip ons I may buy for the GN and am going to get a set of fork gaitors too.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Have a look at C2345.com, you can get all sorts of bit there, chain guards, piston kits...anything you want, cheap. I've found a set of clip ons I may buy for the GN and am going to get a set of fork gaitors too.
    Chinese eBay, nice. I'll have a more indepth look a bit later on.

Now for what I did today,

I was looking at the frame and holding my battery working out exactly how I was going to connect things all together nicely when it occurred to me that I may not want to have my battery hanging on with only two m6 bolts. Now I suspect that if I got some really hard bolts it wouldn't be an issue, but seeing as I don't have those and I do have some nice flat aluminium stock I thought I may as well use that to hang it off the frame.

I had to use rivets, because I don't have a TIG welder and even if I did manage to get my dirty mitts on one, I wouldn't be able to use it much at all.
    Five hours of marking, cutting, hammering, drilling, filing, riveting, head scratching, re measuring, bending the stock juuust so,
    I had this:

BEHOLD the first bike part completely fabricated by me!
    The likes of which you will never see from ducatiLover or Bogan.
    It's out of line!
    It's not square!
    It's a little too small!
    It doesn't even fit the battery properly!!

But for now however it will do. It was getting late when I finished it and so I decided to leave it for now.

Fitted to the bike

Now if you listen to ducati lover long enough two two things become apparent. One is that autosol is the greatest thing on the planet, and that visible cables on a bike is a sin and God kills a kitten every time you leave a visible one on your build.

I share his sentiment for tidiness, but not quite to the same degree. So a coupla minutes of black tape does me just fine.

About half of the wires back here are useless now, going to blinker relays and whatnot so tomorrow I'm going to rip those out.

I do like this black ribbed tube thing though. I think that's a design element I'll try introduce into future builds......

And then for the giggles I installed the pod filter

Bike
    Triple Delight
    I'm liking this build!
    Encourage this youngster, he is worth the energy

Also tease him, for it is good for him

Quote Originally Posted by nathanwhite View Post
    I do like this black ribbed tube thing
    Ribbed for pleasure Doogle, remember that
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Wait... people have listened to my ramblings? You fools!!!

I like the battery tray, that is proper class and being square ain't always fun, just ask any slut, they're never square and they have heaps of fun and many look good.
    Which now means your batter tray is a slut.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Ribbed for pleasure Doogle, remember that
    Oh you know it Guuurl.

Which now means your batter tray is a slut.
    Maybe I should stretch it out a little, make it more 'one size fits all'?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi

Maybe I should stretch it out a little, make it more 'one size fits all'?
    I had a missus like that!

I love what you've done by rear-setting it. I'd like to move mine back 50mm or so (so the peg is inline with the lower bracket bolt)

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries

I love what you've done by rear-setting it. I'd like to move mine back 50mm or so (so the peg is inline with the lower bracket bolt)
    It was a lot easier for me because I just took out the main footpegs and put in the pillion ones. I do worry that when it comes time to ride the sucker these footpegs will end up too far back and up and Ill have to go with more conventional rearsets. It would be nice to make it out of an aluminium billet, but with no milling machine, I would have to get creative with a hacksaw and several files

You wouldn't happen to know how to make one fairly cheaply at home by any chance?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I have ideas, but CNC made will be the way to go, I know a chap who could for the right $$. I'm thinking about it for mine, but trying not to do anything that costs money as it's meant to be a super budget build lol

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Spend an hour in the shed today ripping out the now useless wires.

Not an awful lot, but it helped tidy up the loom and frame somewhat

Bike
    01 SV650S
    Blog Entries
    Debadged the tank last night, then for the giggles, put the tank and seat on. Left the doors to the shed open when I went inside to get something and came back out to see this

Yes I know the wall is a little bare, it's because the bike lives in the shed, and the garage holds all the tools.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Look what you have done Doogle! Boy that looks great, cant wait to see it in the flesh so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    XT660r
    Funny innit? Only the KB crowd calls me Doogle.
    http://www.doogle.org/

Good search site
    Dale Kerrigan: If there's anything Dad loved more than serenity, it was a big two stroke engine on full throttle!

Thread Information